10 Affordable and "Money No Object" Watches for the Petrolhead

Discussion in 'Combustion Chamber' started by Korean Cowboy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

2. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    yeah, not feelin' the love on few of those. I might have to compile my own list over the next couple of days

Probably doesn't help that I'm not a fan of gold anything ( except credit cards)

And Rolex has never thrilled me much as a brand
  3. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Man, not even the Daytona?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of gold, although rose gold is cool to break up the monotony for me (I have a "rose gold" watch).
  4. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    The daytona especially. I mean for years it was a Zenith in a boring suit. I'd rather have the Zenith Striking 10th any day. Just not a Rolex fan.. Maybe, just maybe the Paul Newman version, but that would be about it.The Mille Miglia is nicer in Steel IMHO. They also left out Steve McQueen's TAG Monaco..

Like I said. When I have more time, I'll plop some ideas down
    Korean Cowboy likes this.
  5. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LOL I've never heard that before, interesting. You may be the first person that I've ever meant that didn't like Rolex. It's definitely not my favourite brand, but they do have a few that I like (especially the Milgauss, as seen in my avatar).

No worries mate, take your time. :)
  6. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    In the money no object category, you's have to include the Hublot Mp 5 Ferrari

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 6, 2013, Original Post Date: Jul 6, 2013 ---
    I like the TAG Grand Carrera, but then, there's the classic Monaco

[​IMG]

or an affordable quartz model - even though it's from the F1 range,I've heard you yanks have this event where guys drive around in circles for hours then crash?

[​IMG]

Or the Girrard Peregaux from their affiliation with BMW Oracle a few years back

[​IMG]

Instead of the gold, there are nicer Chopards with a rich motoring history, given they sponsor a lot of motosport and race themselves

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And their chrono COSC certified limited edition Historique Rallied'Monaco - rare for quartz to get this level of certi.

[​IMG]

Blanpain in carbon fibre and checkered flags

[​IMG]

There's one of my personal grails, Zenith's beuatiful and amazing sticking 10th for when 10th's of a second matter

[​IMG]

or BRM's limited edition Gulf series, of which there are several

[​IMG]

Like the Swatch and the speedie, maybe better in the tradional hand width IMHO

Don't mind the Citizen, which is another rarity for me - not many of them I do like. The Alf Romeo dash instruments is cute, the Tissot is OK, but I reckon there are better ones around

The Shinola sucks. It isn't american, it isn't a driving watch, it isn't a chrono and it isn't pretty

The JLC is gorgeous, but I don't think they know how to make a boring or ugly watch.

And they never even got to the exotic or expensive stuff,

I'll grab a few more piccies
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 8, 2013 ---
    but wait, there's more...

Orient's affordable Subaru inspired offering

[​IMG]

Azimuth's relativly affordable supercar inspired offering

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IWC have just released a whole bunch after their launch with AMG for the Ingenieur range
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More on the way...
  7. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    Another Orient affordable

[​IMG]

Limited edition from Richard Mille, with some driver dude ;) and a G meter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perrelet Turbine racing variants - couple of these with car themes to choose from
    [​IMG]

If you want something slightly weird, there's Linde Werdelin's offering

[​IMG]

Or if you want something totally weird and yer mate Bill Gates is wondering what to get for your birthday...

The Veyron ispired Parmagiani Bugatti

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or more affordable but still the price of a house, from Urwerks
    [​IMG]

Or a more affordable Lamborghini solution ( took a while to get the depth of fiels right so the out in the street and my wrist up close were... Nah, it's a model)

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 8, 2013, Original Post Date: Jul 8, 2013 ---
    In short I don't think they were even trying hard

There are so many car "themed/inspired by/used with" watch choices that it is easy to get lost in the choices

But they are some that are on my list for when the lottery man knocks on my door
    Korean Cowboy likes this.
  8. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LOL yeah, I feel like I should have at least one car-inspired watch in my collection...I mean, I am an auto enthusiast/journalist/industry veteran after all!

As far as the driving around in circles race goes, yes, some people find it fascinating...me personally, I used to be really into it, getting back into NASCAR after Ayrton Senna died in that horrific car crash (RIP). Going to one of the races is definitely an event...but after awhile, I got bored with it, and started following F1 again.

Great pictures mate, now my choices have expanded quite a bit! Those Chopards are probably my favourites from their lineup (was never really a fan).
  9. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    Chopard's are a bit hit and miss in their styling for my taste, but I quite like the Mille Miglias in steel.

As to NASCAR, I'm not going to put down anyone who races and the skill required to control a car at highspeed, But I do enjoy cars that go around lots of different corners more. Bikes even more so

Speaking of Senna, I assume that you have seen the movie?

As to your watch collection, I thought the $8 special had ticked the "car inspired" box and all you needed was your "dream" Wrangler to wear it in now...:cool:

You mean you still want another one?
  10. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LOL of course I want another one! There's no end in sight, as far as my watch collection goes...same with my shoe collection (currently at 82 and counting)...

I have not seen the movie, I need to check it out. At the time that it came out, I wasn't ready to watch it, and then I just kinda forgot about it.

As far as the "dream" Wrangler goes, there's a tonne of cars that I would rather get before that...speaking of which, if we make it to OZ, what would you recommend renting for a day or so? Any tips concerning making the switch from driving on the other side of the road?
  11. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    Definitely watch it it is a great insight into a great man. If you don't "get something stuck in your eye" at the end you are an unfeeling robot

What is your rental budget? You can get lambos and ferraris for a half day that would be fun on some of Victoria's coastal roads, but expensive

Hertz here started audis and BMW's a little while ago

The local big Aussie V8's used to be available, GM, Holden down here or Ford. They are big and brutal and unsophisticated, but can petrol and tyres into noise and smoke quite effectively in a fun way. Or there are a host of sensible options from toyota and Hyundai

I don't think you can rent a Wrangler, but other, real off roaders are available

As to the side of the road, I've driven over seas a fair bit and I usually never have trouble. You just follow the crowd for the most part. The perennial problem is walking to the wrong side of the car. That always happens when people are watching too! :oops:

Also be aware that Christmas will:-

a) put a LOT of people on the road who don't drive often, so are bloody idiots,
    b.) bring the revenue collectors a.k.a know as higway patrol, out in force with their tech toys of cameras and such

Also the CBD of melbourne has these few intersections that have hook turns to avoid trams where you wait to turn right by pulling into the far left lane. A real trap for the unwary
  12. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Thanks for the tips! I'm leaning towards something Aussie-specific that we don't get here in the Colonies, and something a bit smaller than the full-size vehicles...then again, I'd like to drive something with V8 power from Holden/Ford. But if they're no longer available, then oh well.

Budget wise? Not sure, we're still figuring that out...I do know that we'll be stepping away from the family festivities for a few days for our long-overdue honeymoon. :)

LOL @ other real off-roaders are available...I see what you did there. I may just rent from Hertz, that's one of my favourite rental agencies...
  13. TJohnson

TJohnson

TKF Newbie
    Dam, theres some sexy looking watches there.
    I actually quite like the look of that Linde Werdelin's offering, even though not sold on the orange.
    Lambo watch looks gorgeous too