$8700 !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rolex Watches' started by leopardprey, Mar 25, 2011.

1. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Heard today on several other watch forums the new Explorer II will be priced at $8700 US for MSRP!!!!!!!:thumbsdown::crazy:

(of course this is the conversion price from Euros from what the list price will be over there, so hopefully not the same here in the USA)

If this is true, this is too high and I think will be a big disappointment. Definitely will not be getting a white and black one if true, and will really have to consider even getting one unless can get a discount which will not happen probably for awhile. I think around $7k would be a more fare price, and even that is pushing the boundaries. :banghead::crazy: Will have to wait and see.

Hopefully exchange rate for the US Dollar will go up again against the Malaysian R. (well good for us Americans at least), as Malaysia not having any VAT tax on luxury watches, I have always found Malaysia the place with the best deals on Rolex watches.

Rolex makes a great product, but their continual price increases is getting a little out of control.

Miss the days when you could get a good deal on a Rolex sports model at the Army PX.
  2. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Holy moly! That is a bit steep. Ok, that's real steep.:eek:
    dP
  3. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Yep, especially when you consider I paid $4000 for a new Explorer II back in 2007.

If true, that is more than double the price in just 4 years!
  4. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Add to that you'd still have to stand in line for the privilege.:dummy:

The continual price increases from Rolex are a double edged sword as the high tide raises all ships.
    dP
  5. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    That is nuts, but it doesn't surprise me. It's actually insulting. Surely it can't be more than a current GMT or Sub, and if so, how is that justified?
  6. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Bigger case, 3187 movement?

I was shocked to see the prices of the 39mm Explorer in Saigon recently, over $7000!! And new Sub was $8500. Of course Vietnam has VAT tax added, and exchange rate had just changed.
  7. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Maybe case/movement yeah - actually, about 8K is the going rate here for the new sports models, in Swiss francs. Shocking. Scary. Still want one though!
  8. WatchTimes

WatchTimes

Premium Member
    My ad said people not Rolex are throwing that # around.
    He says he thinks it will be right below around sub pricing.

I have his first shipment spoken for.

I'm debating the Daytona but think I'll end up passing. I just don't see the huge demand for it.

I passed the TT YM II as it just cheapened and ruined the watch for me but suspect close to 30k on that one.
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    The current Sub 116610 is priced at $7,375, so I think the EXP II will sell for at least that amount. Probably even more due to its larger case. I'm going to guess at $7,600.
  10. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    That's just too high for me.
    All new models are out of my price range but if it really ends up being 8k... Ouch. It will be a decade before I get one. My mind has a mental block when it comes to a certain price point and that's just way above it.
  11. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I agree too much money for a sports model. I would like to see it at $6200 - $6500 USD, actually under $6k but I know that's not going to happen with the price increases we keep seeing. At those prices, I'm buying used if I want another Rolex, but more likely - other brands! :crazy:
  12. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    Too much, too much. I hope Rolex isn't missing out on higher sales possibilities because of the price, but I am sure they will sell all the Expy's they make nonetheless.
  13. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member

Add sales tax to that, or VAT tax, and one is still over $8K!! Ouch! Granted Rolex makes a great watch, but with the numbers of watches they turn out I have to say they are overpriced, compared to other watch manufactures like Omega, UN, GO, Panerai (which their newer models with in-house movements also very high). I think that is probably the biggest reason you have seen Rolex go from "essential tool" to luxury item. As I said in a older post, the cost of a Rolex use to be just around or a little bit below what a junior NCO made per month in the US Army. That is why you use to see many soldiers, pilots, etc. getting Rolex. Needed a good watch. Overseas and saving a bit of coin and can get through the PX. Now it is several of months pays, so even though has the heritage of a watch for explorers, pilots, military service members, divers, etc..you don't see them as much buying, and instead see on the wrist of bankers, financial brokers, doctors, celebrities, etc... Though there are many of us, who are not rich, who still cherish a good quality time piece with a proven heritage and still want to wear for the endeavors the watch was designed for.

And I unfortunately have to agree with SSD. Even though priced way high, Rolex will still sell them, as the market in Asia and the Middle East is expanding, and they are buying even if price is very high.
  14. ArmyEngineerInGermany

ArmyEngineerInGermany

Bronze Member
    Ah yes.....1990....ordered my Rolex Sub Non-date from the AAFES/PX Catalog as a 2LT....$950.00USD. (would have gotten the date-model but she was out of my price range at $1,250.00) Six weeks later, she arrived and was mine.
  15. Watchdawg

Watchdawg

Silver Member
    Paid less than $400 for my GMT way back when in the PX. Like I have said before it cost more to have it serviced in the States than I paid for it.
  16. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Walt, Bet you miss that watch! Of course the GMT II - C you have now is a real classic and perfect for you, since overseas.

Yeah, was really too bad when AAFES stopped selling Rolex in the mid-90s.
  17. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I'm with Roger on this one : Other Brands is what I tend to lean towards those days.
    Let's hope Rolex won't price themselves right out of the market.
    After all, it is just a mass produced, stainless steel watch. A watch Seiko could match in all but "cool level" for a lot less than a grand.
  18. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Yep, that is a good point. Even with the superb movement, you are paying a premium for the "Rolex" logo. The Seiko movement, while maybe not as accurate are real workhorses. I know some that have been on wrists for 20 years,never serviced and still keep on running. I wore a Seiko dive watch myself for around 8 years.
  19. ozlanka

ozlanka

Silver Member
    Rolex has a very interesting way of increasing prices.

Bring in a changed design and bump the price up $3000.

Wish our business could do the same.

I am going to stay with my Explorer II B&W pair and the ivory Explorer 16550
  20. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    You know, I'm glad now I got my 16610 in 2008 when they were "only" $5800. When the price reached that point, I knew that was the TOP I would be willing to spend on a new watch any time soon, unless I won the lottery. :lol:

More than that, I just can't justify at my pay grade. Especially not when there are many cool vintage watches for less that I'd now rather have. :lol:

I wanted to buy new at least once...and knew I had to do it before prices reached where they are now: insanity. :banghead:

Hate to say it, but they are pretty much pricing me out of the market.