Bad News: Chromium Allergy!!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by SPACE-DWELLER, Nov 13, 2009.

1. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    As some of you know, I own a PAM 312 and absolutely LOVE that watch!

I've already bought three straps for it besides the two straps that the watch came with.

Having worn the watch for 1½ months now, it turns out that I have an allergy to Chrome! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is what my wrist looks like at the moment...

DSC03001.jpg

DSC03002.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

My doctor gave me a special ointment to treat the rash with... He stated that the Chrome causes an extreme drying out of the skin. :eek:

So now I can never again wear ANY leather straps treated with Chrome (which is used by many strap makers to make straps more subtle and water resistant)..

Strange thing is that (besides a TS Kevlar strap) I only have OEM Panerai straps about which is said in the 2008 PAM catalogue:

"Panerai straps are non-allergenic. A specially developed internal lining eliminates the risk of skin allergies and contributes to the long life of the strap while ensuring maximum wearing comfort and suppleness when worn."

Apparantly, at least in my case, this "non-allergenic" should be taken with a grain of salt.. :banghead:

I am not sure what to do right now, but so far I don't want to sell the 312 since I love the WATCH. So I will have to live with having any other strap on it than leather... sorry, I don't dare to try out any "non-allergenic" leather strap again. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Luckily, I have the OEM rubber strap and my Ted Su Kevlar strap (which is very comfy, btw.)! :thumbsup:

Do you guys and gals have any suggestions to other straps (non-leather)? :thinking:

Sorry, a NATO strap would be a :nono: on a PAM imho..
  2. T-R

T-R

Silver Member
    Oh my!!! Sorry to hear that, Bo. But I think you must hear what your doctor said.
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    He just told me to use the ointment two times a day until the rash has gone.

Luckily, it neither itches nor is painful. I am wearing my PAM again today, on the Ted Su strap; very loose on the wrist to give the rash some air. I feel "naked" without a watch on my wrist, so just had to strap it on.

One a positive note, I can now wash my wash straight away without having to remove a leather strap first since obviously both the Ted Su and rubber strap are 100 % water resistant... :thumbsup:
  4. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    I'm sorry to hear that, Bo. Sure is a bummer.
  5. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    How much would a bracelet be for your 312 Bo? not cheap Im sure, looks like you will have to check out the independent strap makers, tis a shame though, I do like OEM straps.
  6. Four Thirds

Four Thirds

Silver Member
    Oh man, that must suck big time, sorry to hear that about your 312
  7. ROLEXBEAR

ROLEXBEAR

Silver Member
    Bo,

No real solution to offer here, but maybe you can start a new fashion statement and wear it on top of your sleeve. :tonguewave:

I know it's a bummer, but seriously don't force it if your skin can't take it.
  8. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I have considered getting the SS bracelet for it (like it comes on the PAM 328), but somehow I'm not convinced that I like a Panerai on a steel bracelet? :thinking:

As to the independent strap makers, that's definately worth checking out, but right now I am really put off leather and don't trust terms like "non allergenic" etc. :banghead:
  9. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Yeh, I know what you mean Bo, somehow PAMs dont seem right on a bracelet IMHO.
  10. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Bo, sorry to hear the bad news. As a person who loves dogs but is allergic to them, I understand what you are going through.

There are members here who sell/make straps for the Panerai. It might be worth your effort to approach them and see if they can make one of these straps sans the chrome treatment.

You could be a test study for a truly hypo-allergenic strap.

I would also consider contacting Panerai about this. What do they exactly mean by hypo-allergenic.

To be honest, I am surprised the straps are treated with chrome. Depending on the oxydation state of chrome, it can be a very strong carcinogen. As a result many companies who would normally use chrome have been developing alternate technologies.d
  11. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Sorry to hear this Bo. I know you are disappointed.

I'm like Dex in that I'm surprised about the strap containing chrome. Working in the electronics industry, Europe has been a leader in RoHS compliance for many electrical components. I realize these are separate products (straps and electrical components). However, Europe has indicated the prevention and non-use of chrome products within their borders.

John
  12. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Bo that is a major bummer, I know you love the 312! I agree, with as much as I love the 312 I don't love the new steel bracelets from Panerai and at $1500 bucks I really find it hard to love it.
  13. DimSum

DimSum

TKF Newbie
    Hi Bo -
    I know exactly what you are going through. I have a pretty bad rash from my 312 on leather strap as well...It's starting to peel...

It would be great to know which strap makers use Chrome in the making of their straps and for the moment - I am wearing my watches that are not on leather straps...Your post reminds me that I need to contact Ted Su about one of his dive straps!
    Best,
    DS
  14. Watchreport DE

Watchreport DE

Silver Member
    To me it lookes like you were wearing handcuffs last night on the "Reeperbahn" :lol:

Sorry my friend to hear this bad news :banghead:
    Your KARMA is to stick to Rolex :dummy::rofl:

P.S. try these next time :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

15. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Sorry to hear that you've had the same problem! :crying: :banghead:

Anyway, I can recommend the TS dive strap highly! :thumbsup:

Can't believe I did not think of those.... of course! The Hello Kitty handcuffs! Thanks, Marcus! :bartmoon: :rofl:
  16. Watchreport DE

Watchreport DE

Silver Member
    Hello Kitty handcuffs :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::hellokitty:
  17. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Anyway, got an "Akkordeon" OEM XL rubber strap coming from the AD I bought the watch from... GREAT service! :worship: :thumbsup:

Didn't know until now what an "Akkordeon" strap is, but it seems to be the rubber strap version with "waves" like shown in the below pic that I just quickly found on Google.

The AD states he has one himself and that it's super comfy! :rocker:

_DSC0744.jpg
  18. Watchreport DE

Watchreport DE

Silver Member
    picture :thinking:

you mean the version of the 2500m Pam?
  19. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    No, that would have been a strap a la Ted Su Kevlar (same type of buckle and synthetic strap but much, much longer)...

Look above for the pic. My IE crashed as I was gonna upload the attachment... :cheers:
  20. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    G'day Bo, I have a bit of experience with modern and vintage A2 flight jackets. They are usually either chrome dyed or aniline dyed.
    To protect the skin from the chrome tanning treatment, try a little bit of leather conditioner like Pecards. I use it all the time on my jackets to keep them from drying out and to keep them looking sharp.
    Rub a bity on the strap, leave in the sun for a bit so it soaks right in, and then rub any residue off. Works a treat and provides a protective layer for your skin.

Worth a try I reckon

http://www.pecard.com/

I use this product
    http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant....&Product_Code=PLD-75&Category_Code=leathdress