Being a "One Watch Man"

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Carl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Well, 2013 will certainly bring a few changes for me. Not the least of which is likely making the transition to owning only one watch. Not a bad thing at all, matter of fact it has been on my mind for some time.

Quite a coincidence that Jeff announced the sale of his Speedy, just after that same thinking had kept me up half the night.

Both financial and emotional reasons are helping me to decide that having one watch is going to be a good thing. I agree with Jeff's idea that it is a shame to have a beautiful watch just sitting in it's box. And I simply cannot afford to have a collection, with watch winders to keep them running all the time.

The Speedy is the most wonderful watch I have had. It also satisfied my craving for a manual wind and hesalite crystal. To be totally honest, though, I miss having a date function, I would prefer a smaller size, and I would like a watch that I feel comfortable wearing for dressier occasions.

The perfect Mens watch: The Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra midsize. It has all of the above attributes, except the manual wind and hesalite which I can now live without. It also has my favourite movement, with the independent hour hand which is a feature that I love. It is rugged enough for me to wear to work, or to wear with a suit and even cufflinks.

I had the large AT8500 a couple of years ago, with the Teak Grey dial. It was just big IMO for the type of watch. I have put of getting the same thing in the midsize. Until Omega introduced it with the blue dial a couple of months ago. I lost track of the number of times I have tried it on in the Boutique.

Back to the Boutique tomorrow. Just one more reassurance that this is going to be "the ONE". My Seamaster 300M midsize ceramic is sold, and my Explorer I as well. Just my Cartier Tank quartz remains with my Speedy.

As John says "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Great idea, and I am all smiles and chuckles when I think of the fun I had along the way. No regrets. The one watch thing is going to be a very positive step for me.

This should all happen in the next few months!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  2. marcus f

marcus f

Premium Member
    I love this thought, just not sure it's the right way for me at the moment. Enjoy the freedom of not having to choose what your going to wear :thumbsup:
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Carl, I understand your thinking and know you have given this a lot of thought. I've watched you try out a lot of watches over the last several years and have watched you thin the herd too. But for me, I could only do that if the finances dictated it. I like the variety of dial colors, functions and band/strap types.
  4. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    I was a one watch man for some 20+ years...But it was a ROLEX.
    I don't think it can be done with anything else.

:rolex::breitling:
  5. marcus f

marcus f

Premium Member
    I think the Speedmaster Pro is the best watch for the job, looks gd on any strap, plus the history of the watch :eek:mega:

:rocker::rocker::rocker:
  6. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I think the "one watch" would be different for most of us. :thumbsup:
  7. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    I'm with Roger. I like choices. If I needed money, I'd sell off a few pieces, but generally, my collection grows, or I'll buy a new piece, then sell off something I'm not wearing very much. If I had to choose just one of my current pieces, it would probably be my own midsize opaline silver AT 8500, or... maybe my Speedy Pro, or....perhaps my orange PO... You see my dilemma????
  8. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

Well, in my case it really does have a lot to do with finances. Certainly not a complaint at all, just need to change my lifestyle a bit that's all. I'm 63 now, but not planning to retire at 65, just want to work longer. I really don't have enough interests in my life to take a lot of time off, and am fortunate enough to really like where I work.

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel a lot, take off plenty of time and really enjoy my life all along the way, so I wouldn't have to wait until retirement to do a lot of things that people wait to do. And one of the things was to indulge myself in the enjoyment of fine watches. Unfortunately, one loses a lot of money, especially when buying new and reselling. It was all part of the fun, but I just don't have the resources to do that any more.

Luckily, I can afford to keep the Speedy. Had a good sleep last night, and thought about it again this morning. It is one of the best watches out there bar none, and even seems to me to be undervalued. The sale of that one will be rethought. I am certainly in no rush.

Even if I wind up with only the AT 8500, I will have a wonderful watch. We usually can't have everything in life, so sometimes we have to change our priorities. I love to go out for a nice dinner once a week, and indulge myself with great drinks, whisky and martinis at the local bar. If I can keep all of that, and still have a beautiful watch, I am a lucky guy! It will be great just to have one watch to enjoy, and not worry about the other nice one(s) just sitting in their boxes.

Thanks, guys, for listening to all my rambling. I participate in a number of forums, but this is the only one where I feel comfortable airing my feelings like this.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Off to a nice dinner tonight!!

Carl
  9. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    You can be a one watch man but...can you handle the withdrawal? It's an addiction and remember, there's no cure and only you can cure your own withdrawal!:lol::justkidding:
    Good luck and yes, I agree about the speedmaster!:cheers:
  10. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    I was actually a one watch guy from 1997-2007. I had a Breitling Colt SuperOcean automatic (at the time, in 1997, the SuperOcean was actually a Colt model). Hardly ever looked at another watch during that time. Only when the PRO I bracelet gave out, and the older model wouldn't fit a new bracelet, did I start looking at other watches. That started the whole thing.

In 2010, I thought that the Rolex Explorer I would be the one. But I still carried on. I have considered a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date - 34mm, and actually the date version of the Air-King, or the DateJust which is 36mm. Both beautiful watches. The Sub and new Exp II are beauties, but a bit too sporty for me if I am to have just one watch. In the end, the Aqua Terra midsize seems to be the best choice for me.

I think my very favourite Rolex is the Air-King, only it doesn't have a date function. I never thought I would be saying that. For aesthetics, I looked at only watches with no dates for a couple of years. Truth is, I now miss having the date. There is the option of the OP 34mm, as I say it's an AK with date, but I'm not fond of the cyclops window.

For variety, I can get a beautiful leather strap with deployant clasp for the AT, which gives it a bit dressier look.

Carl
  11. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    So true and you can even get multiple straps for more variety. :thumbsup:
  12. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    IF you CAN, Carl, hold on to your Speedy. I think, in reality, if I really had to choose just one Omega, it would be my Speedy Pro, even though it wears a bit large, on my wrist. It just has that special something about it that NO other watch does. Be a TWO watch guy.
  13. sgondesi

sgondesi

Premium Member
    Hey Carl,

You could have one or many but I must say I agree with Kat... You have one or many but never part with the Moon Watch... Never!!!

Cheers,
    S
  14. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Pic of AT midsize blue dial with strap

Found a pic of the AT 8500 midsize blue dial while lurking. It must be a Photoshopped pic, but still gives an idea of how it would look with a leather strap:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Carl