Bell & Ross 03-88 Aviator

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by loszabo, May 16, 2009.

1. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Great picturs there, guys :cheers:
  2. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Great watch Lo. Those B&R's look "all business"
    I have only ever seen one in the flesh before.
    How do you find the B&R watches?
    What's the quality and reliabilty like?
  3. loszabo

loszabo

Bronze Member
    I love B&R watches and I'm really hooked. Cool design, but not too much. Also some watches are the real deal and issues to some serious users (e.g. GIGN, French airforce, etc.)

Unfortunately I have some issues (moisture) with my BR03-88 and had to return it the second time for warranty issues. :thumbsdown:

My BR03-92 Military works like a charm since I bought it in November.
  4. moby33

moby33

Bronze Member
    I hope you don't have any issues with the BR03-92 as I'm sure you won't (I'm a big believer most issues arise within the first couple months of ownership). But like you & your 03-88, I had some issues with my B&R. I posted this info on another board, but figured it was germane if some are considering the brand - here's what I wrote:

I wore a B&R BR01-94 (chrono version) for a little over a year. I loved the style & 46mm case...and even though it was large, they are pretty slim IMO and therefore didn't wear as HUGE as they appear. But, I must admit I wasn't thrilled with the operation.

The watch literally stopped on me 3 times during the course of the year...and it wasn't from lack of power reserve as I never took it off. For some reason once every 2-3 months it would simply jam & not work. After spinning the hands and freeing it, it would work great. The crown was pretty weak IMO (and compared to the Triplock, it seems like you're playing w/ a toy). The first time it jammed, I chalked it up to lack of power (was trying to talk myself into it even though I knew I was wearing the hell out of it). The second time I almost sent it in for service...but figured I would see if it happened again. Sure enough months go by w/o incident so I forget about it. Then it did it again.

The chrono feature wasn't great either...sometimes I would have to press the reset button a few times for the hands to realign perfectly (very annoying as my Omega SMP chrono NEVER had this problem in over 4 years of operation...one touch, SMP reset perfectly - every time).

I had all three bands (canvas & leather that came w/ it), then purchased the new rubber. Leather band looked good, but didn't age very well. Canvas band also looked pretty 'worn out' after a few times in the water. Rubber band was good...no complaints there.

Overall, I loved the look, but too many mechanical & quality of material issues for me to be really excited about buying another one. Maybe I got a lemon...who knows.
  5. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I have had no issues with mine at all, and it is about 2 years old or so.

While I like the look of the chrono, I would never buy it due to the fact that it uses a module built on top of a non chrono movement. This is not an uncommon practice in the watch world. Many brands use it, even some high end ones.
    (speedmaster reduced is one for example).
  6. loszabo

loszabo

Bronze Member
    As I said, the BR03-92 works as it should. No problems at all!

What drives me crazy is, that Bell & Ross returned my watch as repaired, but my AD could verify in under two minutes that it was not completely sealed off. How can something like this happen and leave a factory??? :banghead:

In addition my email (very professional!) was ignored so far...

But, as I said to my AD: you know what's the worst thing about it? I still love it!!! And, I think that says a lot about a good brand.
  7. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    We've all had little problems like that Lo. They're not confined to just B&R I can tell you.
    Omega, Rolex, Breitling etc etc
    Every now and again one slips through the quality net.
  8. Watchreport DE

Watchreport DE

Silver Member
    Hi Lorenz,

what a nice watch the BR03 is :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had it on my wrist yesterday and on my wish list since friday.
    So I searched the internet for som infos on this watch ........
    What a surprise I found you here with this watch and some problems and a Norwegian on the BR Forum with the same problem!

So what exactly was your "moisture issue" ???
    Did you go for a swim? If I can´t trust a watch with using it in the water, it´s no watch for me! (I don´t mean useing the chron funktion under water!)

So I realy like this watch, and I would love to wear it for mountainbiking and swimming but if it has a problems with water......
    I would delate it from my wish list!

Please let me know !!!!
    Thanks
  9. loszabo

loszabo

Bronze Member
    If you consider taking a bath in your bathtube a deep-sea swim: yes, I went for a swim.

I had moisture under the glass and it was not fixed the first time, but fixed the second time. A good AD can check if the bezel is water-tight and mine did and showed me the print-out.

I really love the watch as my EDC and I have a hard time chosing between the BR03-88, BR03-92, and my Sub. (The Sub is usually for traveling.)

Right now I have the BR03-88 on me with a Altstrap calf-leather strap.
  10. Watchreport DE

Watchreport DE

Silver Member
    Thanks for your information!

What I don´t understand, is the watch is rated 100m so a normal swim should not harm it :thinking: Or did you dive? I guess not.