Can someone explain to me why I don't see Panerais....

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Erwin, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    in "pawnshops"? I like going to pawnshops browsing or buying music gear and stuff! In your neck of woods, have you seen one? Is it because of its super good looks that it's always the last resort for someone in need to let go? I have seen so many Rolex watches ( almost every model ), Breitlings, Omegas, Cartiers and other high end brands, but not a single Panerai! There's about 6 high end pawnshops in "West Hollywood" that I visit once in a while and not a single one have I seen carried a Panerai!:thinking: Or maybe, Panerai is outnumbered by other brands in regards to ownership ( but not in LA for sure )! Just curious!:thinking:
  2. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I can't speak for any body else but If one comes through here you won't see it in my case. On my wrist is more like it,,,
  3. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I would say low production numbers is the reason. Don't they only make 2500 of each watch per year??? Or am I thinking of something else?
  4. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    Perfect example...so you're saying that you have not come across a Panerai yet, Roscoe?
  5. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I have been here 11 years, Never even held one in my hand my whole life.

Maybe some came before I was here.

I found a few layaway tickets for PRS guitars from years before I started working here
  6. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Because most Panerai are bought by people that have a bit of money. Most Rolexes are bought by people that don't. They just do it to show off. Money runs out... Pawnshop it is.
  7. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    Maybe...although there are Panerais that has less value than a Rolex!
  8. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    Chip the watch trade is far to Vast to lump people and brands into categories like that.
  9. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    that does not matter. What matters is what other people know and Rolex trumps all watches out there as they are the most recognized luxury watch brand in the world.
  10. WatchTimes

WatchTimes

Premium Member
    Quite simple...
    If a local Pawn Shop gets one in they call me or other gray dealers
    and sell it out for a fair price for quick turnover.
    I asked on Pawn Shop I work with why they did not put them in the case
    yet they have 50 various Rolex models in. He explained their clientele have
    NO clue what Panerai is but a Rolex is an easy flip or at least a sure thing
    for them to be able to sell.

Panerai they have to either try to educate their clientele (not an easy thing)
    or sit and HOPE a WIS comes in.
  11. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    There are like 43,000 pawnshops in the USA. I am sure that all these brokers don't just dump every PAM to a watch dealer.

From just a few clicks of my computer I see they only manufacture 35,000 watches a year. Low production numbers is obviously why you don't see many in showcases coupled with a strong resale.
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Low production numbers and the majority of them are owned by collectors / cult-like Panerai fanatics. Rolex is the exact opposite from that - that's why so many are in the pawnshops.
  13. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I stand by my belief. Panerai watches are bought by wis for the most part, Rolex isn't.

Sent from my HTC One X
  14. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    touché
  15. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member

Yup.
  16. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    It's hot today so that might affect my judgement.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One X
  17. aquajoe

aquajoe

Silver Member
    I agree with both of you. I think there's a lot higher percentage of Rolex buyers who really cannot afford them as opposed to Panerai buyers. I think most people who buy a Rolex want someone to look at their wrist and say, "look a Rolex, he must be wealthy." Whereas most people who see a Panerai would not think anything of it and even then would say, "a Pan-uh-what?" Most folks who buy a Panerai don't buy one to make others think they are wealthy.

Don't only consider annual production numbers but also years in production. To most people a Rolex from 25-30 years ago looks just like one 2-3 years old. When you stop and think about from a non-WIS perspective, these things really don't change. Panerais produced 12-15 years ago are already valued in 5-6 digit numbers and pretty much didn't exist before that. Rolex has made basically the same Submariner, GMT Master, Datejust etc. etc. for 50+ years.

just my dos pesos:thumbsup:
  18. Robb

Robb

Premium Member
    Wow. A bold but very true statement!
  19. Four Thirds

Four Thirds

Silver Member
    I agree with Roscoe. I think it's about number production. Last month I did see one at the Carlsbad Costco, it's not there anymore I guess it was sold.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  20. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I have a pile of cash waiting for watches at wholesale prices. Millions of Rolex watches = many Rolex watches I have bought.

Thousands of PAM's = I am still waiting.

All of the 7 figure Real-estate agents, Home builders and various Entrepreneur's that have felt the pressure of the Doomed economy and sold me their watches could just have easily bought PAM'S instead of Rolex.

Chopard, Piaget, AP and Patek have all made their way through my hands in the past years PAM has just eluded me so far. We will see what the future brings. Maybe I should buy a New PAM since Chip predicts PAM owners will stay with their money:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: