Checking the accuracy on a PAM 111?

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Xelor, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    As you all know I picked up a PAM 111 the other day and I'm curious about checking accuracy. On my Sub and SMP when you pull the crown all the way out the watch stops, allowing you to reset it back to GMT and thus check the accuracy. I've been using a spread sheet to track the accuracy of the Sub and the SMP for a while now, yeah I know I'm a :geek:.

When you set the 111 the seconds hand never stops, making it downright impossible to set it back to GMT and check the accuracy. What I did on the night of the 15th was to compare it to GMT after giving it a full winding and it was running 38 seconds ahead of the GMT site. Now I checked it this morning and its running 16 seconds behind GMT! This would mean its loosing 27 seconds a day. Now there is the possibility I recorded the wrong time on the watch the other night because I foolishly chose to check it at 8:38 in the evening and it may have actually been pointing at 8:37.

So I checked it at 11:30am and it was 16 seconds behind GMT, tomorrow morning I'm going to check it again at 11:30 to get a more accurate result.

Is there a better way to check the accuracy on these watches that you apparently can't stop the seconds hand on?
  2. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    I suppose you could let it wind down.
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Although the PAM111 has no "hacking" feature (stop seconds hand via the crown), you can still halt the seconds hand by simply pulling the crown out to the time setting position and then turning the crown counter-clockwise ever so slightly, not even so much that the minute hands starts moving backwards ... You should then be able to halt or "pause" the seconds hand. Once you let go of the crown again, the seconds hand starts moving again.

So simply wait for a reliable time source like an atomic clock (for instance wwp.greenwichmeantime.com) to reach the "OO" mark then and release the CCW hold you have on the winding crown once the time source reaches "OO". :cheers:

Of course, be SURE that there is NO "play" in the hands so that the minute hand points EXACTLY on the minute next time the seconds hand reaches "OO".

On most PAM's like the 111 there are not minute markers all the way around the dial, so you'd have to check if the minute hands stands exactly on for instance "5", "10" etc. when the seconds hands reaches "00". That way, you're sure that there is no confusion whether the minute hand is pointing to say "9 minutes past" or "10 minutes past".
  4. ebueso1970

ebueso1970

Silver Member
    Bo! What PAMs have the Hacking function? Automatics....some M-W's

Ed
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Not sure, which have and which don't have this feature, Ed.

The PAM233 (M/W) has a very clever feature, though, where the seconds hand jumps right up to "12" (or "60", if you like) as soon as you pull the crown out to the winding position. The automatic PAM270 (also in-house mvt.) has it, too.

BTW.: I used the above described procedure for a non-hacking watch with my "Zenith" Daytona which also did not have a hacking feature (the modern ones with in-house mvt. do, though).
  6. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Interesting topic, can not wait to hear or see more test results :cheers:
  7. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Thanks Bo! I'll give it a try. :)
  8. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Jeff, set you time as close to the atomic clock as possible... since you can't stop the seconds just get it as close as you can. One you've set the time, make a note of how many seconds the time is off by. Wait 24 hours and check your time against the atomic clock again. Remember to take into account the number of seconds that your PAM was initially off. That's what I do.
  9. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Results are in. Yesterday at 11:30am EST I checked the watch against the GMT site and it was reading 11:29:44 today I checked the watch against GMT at 11:30am and the watch is now reading 11:29:45. It gained 1 second over the 24 hour period.

Not too bad.
    :thumbsup:
  10. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's supreme timekeeping! :thumbsup:

I'm anxious to know if you were able to hold back the seconds hand the way I described earlier despite it being non hacking? :thinking:
  11. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    You know I haven't tried it yet Bo. I'm going to hold off till tomorrow as I want to let it go another 24 hours on the power reserve to see if the accuracy changes at all as the tension winds down. I may also let it go till tomorrow night as it would hit 55 hours at 6:30PM EST.
  12. MYK

MYK

Bronze Member
    Wow Xelor, that's excellent accuracy!

Yeah, I tried that at first. It worked at first, now I just can't master the move again.
  13. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    The crown just needs a very gentle move in the CCW direction to get the seconds hand to "stop". I would refrain from forcing it several seconds back, though.
  14. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Fantastic result, Jeff! :thumbsup:
  15. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Ok, I might have screwed something up the other day when I started the accuracy test. It may have been a different time that I fully wound it from when I checked it against the GMT website.

At least I hope this is the case as it stopped at 8:30am this morning after only 44 hours, if I did do it correctly. So I just fully wound it and reset it against GMT and I'll now be able to confidently know if its really this bad or not.

Bo, I now have an answer to the earlier question regarding stopping the second hand. It can be done and it's actually quite easy. I wound the watch about 1/3 of the way then set the time to 10:45am and when the second hand reached the 60 seconds position I ever so lightly turned the crown CCW and it stopped. It is actually easy to do and requires only the smallest of movement and you can actually let go of the crown and it will stay parked there. When the time hit 10:45am according to GMT I turned the crown CW and it started right up with no delay at all, push the crown back in and finish winding and lock down the crown and that's all there is to it.

Now I have to wait till either Wednesday night (hopefully not morning) to determine if my power reserve is indeed 44 hours or longer.
  16. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Jeff,

The one second deviation is very good. I will be interested to see what the power reserve is. What is it supposed to be? :thinking:

John
  17. MYK

MYK

Bronze Member
    I wore the watch during the test, does that matter? After 24 hours, my watch is runnig 6 seconds late. :(
  18. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Jeff: Glad to hear it worked to stop the seconds hand! :thumbsup:

John: PR should be around the 44 hours that Jeff mentions.

Mohammed: Actually, you should test the accuracy while the watch is on your wrist..... Otherwise, you cannot rely on the results.

A watch staying on the nightstand for instance on the crown or with the crown up or is lying flat on the back (dial up) (See the "Rolex FAQ's" about those positions) will firstly show way different results when it on your wrist that puts the watch in various positions all the time; secondly the power reserve will drop when the watch is just staying idle on a table...

Now if your watch seems to lose time - CONSISTANTLY, that is - as we've suggested before just have it regulated by an AD watchmaker. :cheers:
  19. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    It's supposed to be 56 hours which is why I was concerned. I just checked it against GMT and it's a little over a second ahead today which could be the result of not wearing it as much yesterday. It will get worn all day today so perhaps that will correct it a little.
  20. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    You should get a full 56 hours, if not longer. My PAM got to 55:54 before coming to a stop, which is only 6 minutes shy of the advertised power reserve.