Contemplating an Omega

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Hans, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hans

Hans

Bronze Member
    As a loyal Rolex wearer for many years, since the 60's. I'm finding it a bit difficult to forsake all that Rolex provides. I'm looking at a Speedmaster, with broad arrow hands and a plain white dial on a SS bracelet. It is a chronograph and I guess a chronometer. I was wondering about Omega service here in the states. Is it as restrictive as Rolex. Also, quality of the watch itself. Accuracy is a must, hard knocks on occasion. Does it give the wearer, "wrist presence?" Not concerned with that, but just read something about a Patek providing that. Where I live, people are unfamiliar the brand of PP, or Piaget or VC. How often is service recommended? What are the normal charges? I just realized that some readers might get confused by my " forsaking that all Rolex provides". This Omega would be an addition to and not a replacement. No I have no intention of throwing my three Rolex out the window, nor a 1960's 18k YG hand wind Piaget, A nywith a perfectly plain black onyx dial. Nor my 1980's Breitling 24 hour Cosmonaut. The Omega would be in good company, along with my 1929 14k YG Hamilton wristwatch or my 1931 Hamiliton in 18 K WG plate. They only made less than 1000, so think how many are still around and running. Anyway if some one can provide some insight it would be appreciated.
  2. marcus f

marcus f

Premium Member
    Think you'd love a Speedmaster, love my 2 although my wife has managed to add 1 to her side of the bed :lol:

But any off the models in the speedmaster range would sit well with your other pieces :thumbsup:
  3. KZ1000

KZ1000

Silver Member
    I think an Omega would serve you well. It's the brand that got me into watches. As far as the servicing goes in the states...In my experience it's not restrictive. The repairs are all your decision and they send back all the used parts including gaskets that they replaced. Good luck on your quest!