Double engraved case serial number?

Discussion in 'Rolex Watches' started by Dongle, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dongle

Dongle

Bronze Member
    When did Rolex engrave the serial number both on the case rehaut as well as between the lugs when making the transition? was this only for a relatively short period? :-?
  2. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Very interesting question. I remember when the engraved rehauts came out, but I don't ever recall hearing about the serial number being both on the rehaut and the case between the lugs.

Anyone else aware if and when this occurred?? :thinking:
  3. Dongle

Dongle

Bronze Member
    I know they only have the serial # on the rehaut now, they have stopped engraving it between the lugs. But there was a transitional period when it was engraved in both places but when and for how long?
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    The serial number on the rehaut was introduced with the new Datejust style back (first model: DJ in YG on a leather strap with deployant buckle) back in 2004...

The serial number was later introduced on all other Rolex watches (some first got it with the Z-series)... like with the new DJ back in 2004 those watches would have the serial number both on the rehaut and between the lugs at six.

However, starting with the Deepsea Sea-Dweller in August 2008, the serial number was omitted, now only being engraved on the rehaut. Some models still have the serial number engraved both places but imho it's just a matter of time when the serial number will be engraved on the rehaut only on ALL models.
  5. Aerome

Aerome

TKF Newbie
    May be a stupid question but are the rehauts part of the case casting or can they be removed?
  6. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Depends on the watch...

On most Rolex watches, the rehaut is an integrated part of the case... not so (again) with the Deepsea Sea-Dweller where the rehaut is a part on its own due the the Ring Lock System. I often wonder about the serial number that - besides the rest of the text - is engraved on the rehaut of the DSSD.. because if in the unlikely case the rehaut needs changed, what about the serial number? Would the same / old serial number be engraved on the service part rehaut? :thinking:

Normally, Rolex would not re-issue serial numbers but issue a whole case exchange (I think the serial number start with "47xxxx") but surely this wouldn't be done due to a damaged / flawed rehaut?? :thinking:
  7. dba

dba

Premium Member
    Who here on this site would be surprised at anything Rolex would do?
  8. Shields

Shields

TKF Newbie
    Yes Buddy You are right This is not that much interesting Rolex is no logger any more. Is that what you are saying, But I was thinking some thing about Writing , As an Artist I know this art of Writing, i have been an Expertise in college essay writing service from last 10 years. if you want some thing related to this then Let me know.