Explorer II 1655 on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Rolex Watches' started by RW16610, Nov 24, 2008.

1. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    The same people / store selling the double red SD are also selling this.

ROLEX Explorer II STEVE MC QUEEN Watch 1655, with papers

Buy it now price: US $63,250.00

Here is a small portion of what they wrote:

"Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer II
    The Explorer is one of the most easily recognizable of all Rolex models. With its black dial, large luminous triangle marker at 12, and luminous arabic numerals for the other quarters, it is the perfect mixture of a sport and a dress watch.
    The generally accepted origin of the Explorer is that it was first designed in honor of Edmund Hilary and Tenzing Norgay, who, on May 29, 1953, were the first to reach the summit of Everest wearing Explorers.
    It was designed for explorers and so it had a high visibility dial, an extra strong case, and, it could be lubricated with a special oil which could withstand temperatures of between -20°C and +40° without changes in its viscosity.
    There were two distinct variations on the theme and they seem to have been aimed at two distinct markets. The “Air-King" Explorer and the "dress Explorers".
    The Explorer II was introduced in 1971 as model 1655, and it is essentially a GMT-Master with a fixed bezel. The luminous circle on the seconds hand, was added in the following version. On the third version the extra hour hand was painted in red.
    The watch was introduced as being especially useful for the speleologist (cave explorer), pilots, air traffic controllers and other civilians, who "soon loses all notion of time”. For these intrepid souls Rolex developed the watch with 24-hour time system."

Anyways, here is the link to the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-Explorer-...14&_trkparms=72:1326|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    That's a beautiful example of the 1655 EXP! :worship: Has the papers and is being sold by a reputable gray-market dealer. That's a lot of money though.... you think they'll be able to sell it? :thinking:
  3. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    I doubt it, based on what i've been noticing people are trying to make offers and get it for the best possible price. Their not buying this to use like a normal watch in most cases (if their wise), it is more of a buy low, sell high type concept apparently. Pure investment watch to those potential buyers. Does not mean someone will not come along and snipe it though, i'm really interested to see the outcome of this (and the double red SD too) :yahoo:
  4. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    That is a lot of freaking money for a watch. Keep an eye on it and let's see if it sells. There's other Rolexes I would rather have with that kind of money.

John
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
  6. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Too much. Can get a mint one, without box and papers for $20,000. I have seen mint ones with boxes and papers go for as high as $25,000 US. But, not $63K.
  7. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Yeah lol, have been seeing some insane prices on ebay (from this same seller). People most likely made offers in the range you listed above there and got them declined.
  8. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Still up for auction.....

John
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    That and also no more offers were made yet, still the 1 lol.
  10. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    :thinking: Okay, here's a dumb question... why is it called the Steve McQueen watch?

John
  11. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Funny you should ask. I too had not a darn clue why but figured it to be because it was worn in a movie (like the "Paul Newman" Daytona's with the clashing subdials").

Apparently that was true:

"This model has also been called the Steve McQueen Rolex. Steve McQueen may have worn a Tag Heuer Monaco wristwatch in the film Le Mans, but in real life he wore a Rolex Explorer II, model 1655. The Explorer II is very popular among collectors today."

From - http://doubleredseadweller.com/oh_e2.htm
  12. Spark

Spark

Bronze Member
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    That's funny 63 grand, that's how you price a watch when the wife wants you to sell and you don't want to...

I guess they got the 3 and 6 back to front.

As to why the 1655 is called the Steve McQueen is a little bit of a mystery.
    It was stated at some point he wore one in Bullitt, but that is incorrect from what I can find out.
    Then it was said (As Doubleredseadweller.com) he wore one in real life, but if you look at most pictures other than those publicity shots with the Heuer Monaco it appears he wore a 5512 Submariner personally, so who knows where it originated.
    I just wish I could find out more.
    He wore a Sub Date in the film The Hunter, but it appears that was just for the film.
    Here is a picture of Steve off set.

Attached Files:

13. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  14. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    :coolanimated: Thanks for the information!

John
  15. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    The 1655 is called the Steve McQueen Rolex, because he wore it during the filming of the movie "The Towering Inferno" (which if you have not seen, is a great movie. Go rent it!) from 1974. (though very very few shots, and only partial shots of it in the movie. You have to have a "Rolex Eye" get the DVD and stop the film and look to closely see. (yes, I am a watch geek). Most of the time it is underneath his shirt sleeve. But, the 1655 was a favorite watch of Steve's.

The Explorer II did not come onto the scene until the early 1970s, so no movie made in the 1960s would have had the 1655 Explorer II in the movie.

Steve McQueen also wore a Sub 5512 in the movie "The Hunter" (1980) which is also a great movie you should see.

And, though no Rolex in the movie, if you have not seen the SM Movie, "The Sand Pebbles" you should!!!!

There, now your Thanksgiving Weekend Movie lineup is complete!
  16. Spark

Spark

Bronze Member

I think it was a Sub in Towering Inferno Chad.
    Here are a couple of pics, it looks like a Sub bezel to me?

Attached Files:

17. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Maybe he wore both? I could be wrong (has happended once or twice in the last 30 years LOL LOL LOL). (hec, Sly wore 3 different Panerais in Rambo IV. LOL LOL)
  18. Spark

Spark

Bronze Member

Hell can Sly read the time, things are looking up, night school I guess :lol:
    I'd love to find proof that Steve wore the 1655 Explorer II, but it is looking very much like the closest he got was walking past an AD's window and maybe there was one on the display.
    If you ever find a pic of him wearing one I'd love a copy.
    I have searched for 3 years to find conclusive proof, but even the dedicated Steve McQueen websites seem to think he never wore it.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

P.s. Rommel sorry for the thread Hijack!!!!!
  19. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah it is fine, this is very intersting and also pretty funny. All is technically related to the discussion on the 1655's history :thumbsup: