Ferrari info / costs

Discussion in 'Combustion Chamber' started by RW16610, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    My Porsche is my daily ride. Everything from groceries to flower bouquets have gone into either the trunk (up front) or in the back seats. I miss the rear trunk that the Cayman provided. It really did make things easier as the front end gets hot. I once had about 5 kilos of Mangoes in the front. The drive from the orchard was 45 minutes long. The heat mixed with bumping around resulted in mango smoothies in a bag. To be honest it was during the height of summer, so ambient temps were as high as 120 F.
    A little leaked out which hence caused a wifts of Mango aroma for about a month lol.
  2. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Hahaha oh man that had to be quite the adventure. 120F :yikes: I bet all the Lamborghini's there have the cooling vents open all the time :rofl: See that is the key, enjoyment. The fact you can use your Porsche for all of these things brings more driving pleasure and makes it a better car in most ways. The Boxster has the same Mid engines setup like the Cayman and it is very neat indeed to have both a small front trunk and one at the back also. Difference wih the Boxster is you do not get the space behind the seat so much. Now if you had a Cerrara GT none of that would be possible lol.
  3. DSJ

DSJ

Silver Member
    Great thread. I LOVE Ferraris, and also hope to own one some day, but I do find some of the maintenance costs to be ridiculous. One of my dad's friends had a Testarossa, but sold it when it came due for the timing belt change. Why they don't use timing chains is beyond my comprehension. My dream (modern - I love old ones, but are way out of range) car is a F550 Maranello. When I was in California last weekend, I was chasing one on Highway 1 with my dad's 1964 Corvette Sting Ray. After that, I started thinking that the Sting Ray may be a better long-term goal than a Ferrari. But there's just SOMETHING about the car!

Insofar as an everyday exotic, while Porsche is a good choice, you really cannot beat the NSX. My best friend has one, and in the mountains, its a race car. In commuting, it's a Honda.
  4. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member

Yeah lol keep in mind though David, if you have a local tuning shop that does Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and all the other high end cars they can do a great job the same way for a lot less. If they were to charge near what the dealers do no one would bother going to them for work to be done. Truth is for the cars that are dealer only, those shops have the tools and computer equipment to do the job but a good chance of some jobs being best done by the actual dealer.

Know how you feel there, also keep in mind that the Testerosa is a Flat 12 engine. For those who do not know it is also known to some as a Boxer engine (the pistions do not go upright or to a slant like a V8, they go outwards laying down, pointing out towars the wheels). Here is a picture:

[​IMG]
    From - scaleautoworks.com

[​IMG]
    From - autodrome-cannes.com

So natrurally they have to do a lot more labour to even just get at the plugs and wires. The type of car you need to basically pull out the engine to do any major work to it.

Also the 12 cylinder Ferrari cars are on a totally different level. This car is basically like an F50 or Enzo of it's time.

Most car folks love to get a lot out of the machine and that could be constant driving or track days etc. In that case if you plan to beat up on one withing spending near what it costs to operate a small aircraft the smaller or 8 cyl ones would be the way to go :laugh:

The NXS was never a car I liked but have to admit the engine on it sounds SWEET. Best of both worlds because it is an exotic but like you mention, it can be used like the normal cars on a good day.

If the Ferrari gives you the feeling the rest do not it might be best to stick to that vision and wait. After doing research on various cars and every aspect of them, any Supercar can end up costing a lot of money. If you can find a good private shop in your area to help out with some of the work so you can get the most out of the car it would be worth doing.

Once you store it properly, drive it a few times a week or start it up and go around the block or what not just so the fluids can circulate and coat the parts it can help a long way.
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Terrific info, Rommel! :rocker:
  6. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    Excellent info Rommel.
  7. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :thankyou: guys :cheers: