FOIS has arrived!

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by jmsrolls, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jmsrolls

jmsrolls

Premium Member
    FedEx delivered on time. Lots of photos have been posted with lots of info. I hope to impart something different.

First, here's the commemorative box:

[​IMG]

Then opened with plastic in place:

[​IMG]

And the commemorative plate:

[​IMG]

The case back:

[​IMG]

Now some points of interest (at least to me) . . .

Mine is numbered 16## which makes me wonder if Omega started with 0001. Somehow I doubt that 1600+ have been produced. :thinking:

More importantly, I put my micrometer to the FOIS and found that the diameter of the caseback and bezel are the same as the standard Speedy Pro. The sapphire "halo" makes it difficult to accurately measure the diameter of the dial but the measurements from the outside end of the 9:00 marker to the outside end of the 3:00 marker appear to be the same. That makes me think the dial of FOIS would fit the standard Speedy Pro.

And lastly, I want to thank my longtime FD for his persistence. He came through again as usual.
  2. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
  3. TIMEBNDIT

TIMEBNDIT

Bronze Member
    wow, nice. love the box too
  4. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I stare at that every time I go to the Omega Boutique and I considered selling mine to get that one.

It's an awesome piece!
  5. sgondesi

sgondesi

Premium Member
    Amazing watch mate...
  6. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    Beautiful, Father John. Can he get another one?
  7. Zaetrix

Zaetrix

TKF Newbie
    We have one of these in my store in Denver. I absolutely LOVE this piece, one of the best watches in the store. The contrast of the strap with the watch is great. I am about 99% sure Omega started with #0001 on these. The one in my store is #1336.
  8. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    Great looking watch! How about some wrist shots?
  9. jmsrolls

jmsrolls

Premium Member
    Kat, he ordered several when he ordered mine back in March. As usual Boutiques had priority and they are just now getting to ADs in the US - and very slowly. This was Jim's first.

I'll try to get some dial and wrist shots as soon as I can. Perhaps tomorrow.
  10. KZ1000

KZ1000

Silver Member
    Congrat's, very nice! :thumbsup:
  11. carbon6

carbon6

Premium Member
    That's a beautiful timepiece and the presentation box is just as attractive. Congrats on your acquisition. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Wow! Major congrats, John! That's quite a piece! :worship: :drool: :thumbsup:
  13. jmsrolls

jmsrolls

Premium Member
    Changed out the OEM strap for a Hadley Roma Oil Tan Leather for a more vintage look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus I wanted to keep the OEM strap pristine. The HR costs considerably less than the OEM.

One other difference between the FOIS and the standard Speedy Pro: The FOIS crown is not as tall, 2.87mm vs. 3.5mm. Plus winding is "buttery smooth" compared to a new Speedy Pro which is usually difficult to wind out of the box.
  14. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    Very nice, Father John. I like the HR straps, too. Looks good. How does the FOIS wear, compared to a standard Speedy Pro?
  15. marcus f

marcus f

Premium Member
    Congrats, thats 1 very nice Speedmaster :thumbsup:
  16. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Congratulations. That is a beauty!!

John
  17. jmsrolls

jmsrolls

Premium Member
    It wears basically the same although with a smaller presence.
  18. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Congratulations on that beauty!

Saw one at the local Boutique a couple of weeks ago. The Sales Associates there were pretty excited about it. Four of them have a Speedy.

While I totally appreciate the historical significance, as I do with my 3750, the aesthetics involving the use of two different types of hands would eventually bother me. Other than that, I really like it, and also the brown strap. Odd that brown straps so often suit a stainless steel watch with a black dial so well.

Enjoy with better health in 2013!

Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  19. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    It's funny you should say that, Carl. I find that the use of the seconds subdial counter hand, in the same shape and material, as the hour and minute hands, VERY appealing, design-wise. It makes the dial more symmetrical, not less. It also makes more sense, and the dial easier to read. Brilliant.:love: :thinking: I think I may need one of these.......
  20. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Actually, thank you Kat, for pointing that out. It is something that I totally missed. Often, when the look of something is a bit off and one find's a practical explanation for the way it is, it can actually become aesthetically more attractive. Your comments put the whole thing in perspective for me.

I actually like the size of the watch better than my Speedy 3750.50. 39.7mm is ideal, as I prefer smaller watches. I don't know if the case is actually smaller, or the size comes from the fact that it is a symmetrical case, unlike the 3750.50 with the "crown guards". Anyway, a beautiful watch, made more unique by the brown strap. I think the lug width is 19mm, so it will never get a steel bracelet.

Cheers :cheers:
    Carl