FOIS has arrived!

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by jmsrolls, Jan 3, 2013.

1. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    I will compare them, tomorrow, when my own FOIS arrives, and let you know. As far as a bracelet, I have sourced a 19mm J B champion NOS basket weave mesh for mine, for when I want a totally different look.
  2. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    Hey, Carl, et al: I took delivery of my own FOIS today, as has been my plan, since it was announced, and I saw it at a post Basel Special Preview Showing, at an Omega Boutique, this past Summer. Father John knew this, so gave me a "heads up" that our mutual FD had received a few more. So, I called him, and he overnighted mine to me. I compared it with my Speedy Pro, and can confirm some of Father John's suppositions. The FOIS only measures smaller, because of the lack of a crown guard. That, the shorter (and slightly smaller) crown and pushers, the narrower lug width and straighter lugs, all contribute to a perceived smaller wrist presence. The slightly narrower bezel real estate adds to this illusion. For ME, it's a good thing, and I like the slightly smaller appearance. For any of you gents, who are considering picking one up, you won't be disappointed. It still presents fairly large, and doesn't seem too small, at all. A few other observations: It's only AR coated on the inside, so no need to baby it. Whatever they used, the sapphire looks warm and inviting, not cool, as I had feared. The subdials seem a little deeper than on the Pro, and unless I'm imagining it, the dial has a slight pie pan effect. Some reviewers have noted the dial is darker. It looks the same color black to me, but I'll keep comparing over the next few days. It is a little easier to wind, which surprised me, given the smaller crown. Perhaps the absence of a crown guard helps with the winding. The applied Omega logo, and three metal hands grab the light. It's a truly beautiful Speedy, and a keeper for ME. One final point: The presentation is WAY COOL!
  3. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    oops!
  4. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Congratulations, Kat!

Huge congratulations, that is. Thanks for all of the observations as well.

It has been a while since I visited the Boutique, so now I must make a trip down there this weekend! With the FOIS to see, and talk to the Sales Associates about the new 8508 movement as well!

Well, I am sure that I will really like the FOIS. I only took a quick look at it before, but now I will see it in more detail. Interesting about the crown. My Speedy, even after 9 months, is still quite stiff to wind. That's OK, though, little quirks like that give the watch it's own personality.

Good thing that only the inside of the crystal is coated. Like you say, it probably gives it a warmer look. I love the hesalite crystal on my Speedy, it's something I have wanted in a watch for a long, long time.

Can't wait to see it on the mesh! I think that will look outstanding.

Cheers,
    Carl