Help choose 111, 005, 183

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by CW018, Dec 30, 2009.

1. CW018

CW018

TKF Newbie
    Hmp..

Guess I am mroe interested in hand-wound movement..
    Just between nailing down which is going to be my first PAM.. between PAM111, PAM005 and PAM183

I know the basic differences, like PAM111 and PAM005 (Logo) are Luminor cases while PAM183 is in Radiomir form. I am only presuming that they use the same movement and not one bit difference, or maybe there is?

If the choices came down to these three, what would be (would have been) your first PAM?
  2. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I picked the 111,( it wasnt my first PAM though PAM24 and PAM25) I like to have a second hand to give me the confidence that it is still working at a quick glance, the sandwich dial looks really great, although I didnt mind the painted numeralls as on my 24 and 25, see through caseback is alright but not a deal breaker for me, I like the all polished case of the 111.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I like the PAM 111 and it's one that I owned in the past. It's a fantastic watch, especially if you like to look at the movement (sapphire caseback) and a sandwich dial. :thumbsup: That'd be my pick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Nice pics, Dave! :thumbsup:
  5. CW018

CW018

TKF Newbie
    Nice Pictures.. Wow.. PAM 111 is really beautiful piece..
    So there's actually no movement differences whatsoever between the three at all eh? Any comment on why PAM005 is less expensive than PAM111, or is it all because of the see-through case back? Is PAM005 comes with Sandwich dial? Though I am not sure which is going to be my first PAM, I know that it has to have the sandwich dial, complication movement or not.

Seems like you guys love Luminor case huh? I wonder if anyone is interested in Radiomir at all? or is it becuase it doesn' thave the crown protector device which is the trade mark of PANERAI.. ??
    And to Jeff, why did you decided to sell you PAM111? Would you guys recognized PAM111 right away, if you ever pass a guy on the street wearing one?
  6. CW018

CW018

TKF Newbie
    On the other board I saw someone said

"one has to seize the opportunity and take it". A moments hesitation can be a lost chance." So does that means that whichever one comes first, I have to make the on-spot decision?
    Is this normal buying experiences for you guys?
  7. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I'd definately also opt for the PAM 111, like Dave due to its having a seconds hand..

Imho, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a PAM 111, whereas the other two (105 + 183) tend to be harder to find..

Now "harder to find" does in this instance not necessarily mean "highly collectable".. the PAM 105 + 183 are just made in more limited numbers (see the Panerai Production By Model And Year Sticky here in the Panerai section for details), so please don't opt for either of those two strictly out of "investment" speculations...

Ideally, you should try them all on and go for the one that smiles back at you.

Check out which PAM's use which movts. on www.paneraisource.com

As you can see there, the PAM 111, 105 and 183 all use the "OP XI" Cal. which is an ETA 6497/2 aka "Unitas", a very sturdy movt. proven by time.
  8. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I sold the PAM 111 to buy a Rolex. I'm only able to have one watch at the moment and Rolex is my favorite brand. :cheers:
  9. CW018

CW018

TKF Newbie
    thanks guys... I like them both..
    I am planning after getting the first PAM whichever case that was.. that I am going to get one Luminor and one Rad.

Say If I would to end up with one of the BASE Luminor (OP X), the next RAD would be OP XI and wise versa... Just too bad that when I start gathering straps.. they can swtich between one another...

My bad and so newbie about the other post about the very basic base PAM112 After looking at more pictures from the web.. I slowly begin to understand why one would want to have PAM112 with the very clean face and all numbers (3,6,9,12) on the dial.. esp. adding those Aligator straps either polish-black with white stich or Aligator semi-mate in Gold would be just perfect.. or else the vintage calf - superthick.. would be a cool look on the weekend as well..

Gosh.. I think PAM fever starts to get into me - need to call the doctor now!!