Help finding rubber strap for new PO

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by LopeyDeath, Oct 18, 2012.

1. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Evening all,
    I am new to the forum and just bought a black Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono diver at a boutique in Sydney (i'm on R&R from Afghanistan), and then believe it or not, I just bought a 45mm PO chrono 8 days later..lol.
    The latter was bought online with box and cards and will be sent to me in Afghan. Now, I just ordered a link removing tool and pin removing kit from Otto Frei, per some threads I read on here.
    The thing is, I know I will scratch the hell out of the metal band with the job I do so I am tempted to buy a rubber/leather band instead.
    I found this page for bands but was hoping someone could give me some advice on which band would work/look best:
    http://www.ofrei.com/page750.html
    Does anyone have any pics of their leather/rubber bands/straps (not sure what they are officially called)?
    Also, do I need the 20/18 strap for a 45mm PO? I see they are really quite pricey so I want to get it right the first time.
    Oh, and just to keep asking questions - how hard is it to remove the metal band from the watch itself? Will the limited tools I have coming suffice?
    I don't have access to a nice enough camera to take pics of the chrono diver, but I will be sure to post some pics when I can. I look forward to receiving my PO once it, and I, arrive back in Afghanistan :) .

Thanks,

Pat
  2. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Welcome to TKF!

Don't buy from there, they are overpriced. I have a much better option for you. :)

I'm in a rush to get to work but once I get there I will revisit this.
  3. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    SLR, I am all ears :)
  4. aquajoe

aquajoe

Silver Member
    Howdy and welcome to TKF Pat. Thank you for your service. Where are you from?
  5. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I sent you a private message Pat. :thumbsup:
  6. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I second the recommendation Chip sent you. I've used him before and he's great to deal with.
  7. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Dang Roger! You can read my PMs??? :lol:
  8. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    The 45mm takes a 22mm strap.

You will want the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL Black Rubber Strap 98000145 and a brushed buckle.

Replacing it is not terribly hard if you have a really tiny flat head screwdriver. It's even easier if you have the 5 dollars tool to remove the pins but it's not necessary. Just be careful not to scratch it.

Here are some pics from the web.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's one of the absolute best rubber straps on the market today and it is what I had when I owned an Omega diver.
  9. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Said in a sinister German accent: "Vee have our vays!" :loupe: :gun:
  10. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Haha, awesome gents, thank you.
    I was born in St. Louis, but spent 19 years in Holland, and then bounced around between NM, NC and Cali for school and the Marine Corps...oh, and Iraq and Afghanistan I guess too.
    Time to check my pm's. I do like that rubber strap. Anyone had any issues with the buckle? This is a fairly large watch!
  11. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    It's as good as it gets. :thumbsup:
  12. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I have a smaller version of that same strap on my Omega Seamaster GMT and it's great. Very comfortable and integrates into the case like only an OEM product can. While they are spendy for a rubber strap, they are worth it IMHO. It's the only strap I wear with that watch and I don't use the metal bracelet.
  13. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Well, it looks like I spoke a little too soon.
    The PO I "bought" was on eBay. I won the auction, went to pay for it but am now having issues with PayPal. Marine Corps moves me around a lot, so my address changes. Well, now my billing address is at my buddies place, but I want it shipped to Afghanistan. Paypal wants me to verify my address, but they need to associate a phone number with the address, I don't have a cell phone here etc etc...working around it, but it looks like they mailed some verification paper to his address. So I need to wait for it to get there (3-6 days ish) then I can actually pay for the watch! lol.
    At least the seller has been very patient with me and understanding.

Looking at the pics and links, I am torn between getting a leather looking strap with white trim, or a rubber strap. I think both would suit my purpose well. I think the former looks a little nicer though, albeit more expensive.

Either way, I have a week or so now to look since that's the soonest I can finalize the watch.....unless anyone here is selling one ;) haha
  14. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Well... Contact the guy in the PM and he will take care of you.

eBay is a scary place at times and I don't think i would buy a watch there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  15. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Go with the rubber. In your work environment the white trim would get filthy fast. Besides, the rubber looks great and is super comfortable. Here's mine...
    [​IMG]

And there are better photos of it in my TKF album here...
    http://www.timekeeperforum.com/album.php?albumid=190

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!
  16. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    Hope everything gets sorted out smoothly. It can get frustrating sometimes ( which makes it more exciting ). Good luck!
  17. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Well, I'm working on having this issue rectified shortly so then hopefully I'll be able to mix it up some. I guess rubber might be the way to go for now.
  18. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
  19. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member