How to understand the price of a watch

Discussion in 'Other Watch Brands' started by abeverat, Feb 1, 2013.

1. abeverat

abeverat

TKF Newbie
    Hello forum

I come back to you for a question on watches and prices. I am actually looking for a nice (nice defined by my taste) watch for a budget up to 3000E (although I am tempted to increase)

I have narrowed down to 2 watches
    The Baume Mercier Classima Open heart
    The longines Master collection moonphase retrograde.

Both watches are at almost the same price. But both watches are quite different
    The longines has 4 retrograde hands, a moon phase, a day/night indication
    The Baume mercier has "just" a direct view to the mechanism.

So how can I judge between these two watches. How is it possible that both watches are at the same price but for models that are quite different ?
    If I try to extend the question. How can the simplest JLC cost >4kE. What makes it special (apart the name)

Finally, how can I justify that the Zenith Open heart cost 6kE and does not even indicate the date.

Thank you for understanding the value of the watches

Alex
  2. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Welcome to TKF.

You are not comparing apples to apples here.

JLC and Zenith are true manufacturers of timepieces. They design and make everything in house and they have brought many contributions to the world of horology.

The other two are 80% case makers and 20% movement decorators. There is nothing wrong with them per se, but they will never be in the same category with JLC and Zenith. Those two are giants.

If I had 3K to spend, I would look for a preowned something else. The two you are mentioning can be had for about half the new price the moment they walk out the door.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what you want and like. Once you pass the 200 hundred dollars or so barrier, the watch becomes an emotional purchase and as such common sense can be thrown out the window.

Buy what makes you smile. If you like the BM or the Longines.. go for it. Those are kinda jewelry first watch second. If you want a true connoisseur watch, JLC and Zenith will do you well and will outlive you and your kids with proper care.
  3. abeverat

abeverat

TKF Newbie
    Thank you for your answer. I 100% agree that you buy a jewelry and as such, the price is also related to the fact that you like the watch. But, I do know how to rank diamond rings (as function of the purity of the diamond), I am still not able to properly asses the real value of a watch.
    While I can understand the price of a gyro-tourbillon, or even for the zenith el-primero, since more beats per second means that the materials must be more resistant, and the alignment better made.

I still can't understand what you pay for a 6k JLC with 2 hands + seconds.
    I also don't understand, how BM and Longines propose different watches (complication wise) with almost the same price. Is it due to the decoration materials that are of different value ?

Thank you a lot

Alex
  4. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    The longines is a movement made by ETA solely for and to the specs.of the LOGINES Co.
    The B&M is just an ETA movement stuck in the case.
    I have done much research on the LONGINES Master...It is a very hard to find watch and has a waiting list.
    I have a post titled: Something wonderful this way comes. If this is the type you are talking about.
  5. abeverat

abeverat

TKF Newbie
    @cw2. even better than yhis (in my opinion), the one that also has a moon phase !!
  6. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    you pay for their R&D and marketing - the brand!
  7. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

I've always been a big fan of Longines' style, but like others have said, buy whatever makes you smile. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.