Hyunday Genesis R-Spec

Discussion in 'Combustion Chamber' started by SLRdude, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I am thinking about getting one of those.
    Does anybody have any experience with them?

I always liked big cars with big HP and rear wheel drive and it is what I drove for most of my employed life.
    Recent events made me switch to the Smart, which I love, but I am getting to the point where I want another big car.

While my heart will always be with Jaguar, my past experience with them has been expensive. Even with an extended warranty in place I was still spending a couple of grand a year in maintenance and stupid lights that would come on in the dash but not covered by the warranty. The price always prevented me from buying brand new so the two I had were already at the 40k mark when I bought them.

The Genesis is loaded and it only comes that way. There are no options for the R-Spec. It has a 5 litre V8 making 429 hp, leather everywhere you look, air conditioned seats, an 8 inch multimedia screen, a stereo system made by Lexicon and shared with only Rolls Royce... every electronic gizmo you can think of.

Best of all, it has the great Hyundai warranty.

If one can get over the badge, all reviews on the car are great. I test drove one the other day and I absolutely loved it.

Any thoughts from anyone here? Any owners?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TIMEBNDIT

TIMEBNDIT

Bronze Member
    Nice car and it does have a good warranty. Hyundai has come a long way, I managed a dealer service department way back when and they were nothing but problems back then. They improved and came out with the long warranty to get back some of the business they losing. Now they are really nice.
    The only thing that would concern me now is resale value?
  3. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    They seem to hold up pretty well as far as resale. Nothing to write home about but nothing too horrible either.
    Carmax wants 40k for a 2012 with 10k miles on it but the local dealer can get me a 2013 with zero miles at about 41 out the door. The 2013 has some worthy improvements over the 2012 (first year for the R Spec) and I am not interested in that one.

The 4.6 litre V8 is no longer offered. They now just sell loaded V6 models and the more limited, small production R Spec with the 429 hp 5 litre V8.
  4. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    My brother has two Hyundai's and he really likes them!
  5. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    They also have a 2013 program car with about 4k miles on it that the manager drove and they can get me a killer deal on that one. Over 10k off.

Unless the sale price is insanely low, I would prefer to get a 2013 with a couple of thousand miles on it just to avoid the initial depreciation. Program cars are my favourite.
  6. dba

dba

Premium Member
    Afternoon Chip,

I've driven a couple of Hyundai vehicles when I've needed a rental while traveling. I've never driven this one; only seen the ads on TV and noticed it was a V8 with lots of HP. I do like Hyundai's warranty as it and sister manufacturer Kia have the best in the business. I just got rid of my VW Touareg as it was near 80K on the miles and the $2K in repair bills in one week convinced me it was time. I wanted a sedan and I need AWD. I also didn’t want to throw $40K or more for a Lexus or BMW so I went to Subaru and got a Legacy sedan. This is my fourth Subaru so I’m comfortable with the brand and its abilities.

As for the Genesis, with lots of HP comes lots of expense. There are a lot of hidden costs to owning a high performance car. The specs show 16 mpg in town and that gets expensive as I’m sure that car needs the 91 octane gas. When I had my Touareg, my best ever mileage was 19 mpg on a trip from Tahoe to LA where I was on the freeway. Once I got into the urban area while driving, the mileage dropped like a stone.

Once you leave the realm of 17 inch wheels and move to 18 or 19 wheels, your tire prices skyrocket. A quick check of all season tires with a 40k mileage guarantee showed $1K plus tax for the VW and $400 for the Subaru.

I’m sure you’ve read the reviews from Car and Driver, Kelly Blue Book, Edmonds, etc after driving it. Wait a couple of months for some long term tests to perhaps come in and decide from there. I think it’s a fantastic car and if money weren’t an object, I’d get one myself!

Good luck,

David
  7. TIMEBNDIT

TIMEBNDIT

Bronze Member
    What you going to do with your smart car
  8. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Thanks David! :cheers:

To be honest, I have not owned a car that did not require 93 octane since 1996. I do not even know what it feels to pump anything other than 93. :banghead:

Tires.... My previous car had 285/30 on 20 inch in the rear and 255/40 on 20 in the front. You could not even rotate them.
    The car before that had 255/40-18 all around and the one before that had something similar. So... that's something I am sadly used to as well. :banghead:

My previous car used to go through a grand in tires every year. :banghead:

I am a major gear head and I am just not happy unless I have certain features in a car. It's no different than watches really. We can all have a Timex but we don't.

Trust me... I tried. I had the smart for one year and a few months now. :lol:
    Fuel... I have the smart now which gets 42 mpg in heavy traffic. The previous car was a 6 litre V8 that got 12 miles in the city and before that I had a supercharged Jaguar V8 that had a similarly ridiculous fuel economy. :banghead: Sadly, another thing I am used to. :lol:
  9. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    My two brothers and a niece own a Genesis. They don't have anything negative to say about the car. :thumbsup:
  10. Marrk

Marrk

Silver Member
    A friend of mine in the high line car business (but he doesn't sell Hyundai) says that Hyundai is worth looking into. He claims that they are spending a lot of money on the manufacture of their cars for the time being in order to earn market share. In contrast to this, the magazines always seem to be less than enthusiastic about Hyundai. So, I don't know what to think.

My eye was drawn to the Genesis R-Spec Coupe. I don't share your interest in big cars, I guess. :cheers:
  11. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    That's good to hear!
  12. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I think that's because car magazines are too worried about how quick it gets around the Nürburgring and what g number it pulls on the skidpad. :banghead:
  13. z32turbo

z32turbo

Premium Member
    Great question Chip. I've looked the the new Hyundai as well. I don't know anyone who's owned one so I have no idea whether or not their worth the $$$$. Based on your comments I'd definitely lean towards the new 2013's over the 2012 from Carmax. Good luck, I'd love to hear your reviews if you end up buying.
  14. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    It's a down the road sort of purchase after Anna finds a job.
    I really want a jaguar xj or a cadillac cts-v but I don't have that kind of money, even for a gently used one.

Sent from Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.
  15. z32turbo

z32turbo

Premium Member
    I understand, seems like the Hyundai is good bang for the buck with engine and bells/whistles. Hope Anna is able to get a job soon!
  16. HDHNTER

HDHNTER

Premium Member
    Very pleased with our 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track & it's every bit as nice as the Lexus IS350 I had before.

[​IMG]
  17. z32turbo

z32turbo

Premium Member
    Glad to hear its been a good car!!!
  18. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I think it's a good looking car Allen!

If I was looking for a two door, the 3.8L Genesis coupe would certainly be in my cross hairs!
  19. shandy

shandy

Bronze Member
    I have a client who has been a Mercedes man most of his working life. Of late though he has not been happy with the build quality (rattly rear compartments after 10'000 clicks. Switch gear, especially the heating and ventilation to use his words 'feels like turning rattly plastic from a cheap toy!'

He started to look around at the usual suspects, BMW, Lexus and then saw this one and liked the look of it and went for a test drive. He ended up buying it for so many reasons, build and back up from the company top of the list.

I have been driven in it and it feels better made and more special of an experience being driven in than any of the Merc's he had to be honest (and this from someone who loves that make!)
  20. nhdblfan

nhdblfan

Premium Member
    I love the look of the MB's but could not deal with the quality issues and lack of real leather in many,they use a ""MB Tex" (vinyl). The Beemers are nice but ended up going with a low miles CPO Lexus after the positive experience my wife had with hers (we bought hers new). I like the sedans but need a 4wd here in NH.That Hyundai looks sharp nice leather I would like as bit more wood in the dash but thats me. Don't worry about tire prices and premium fuel,thats the price we pay to own and drive a high end car.

I would go and drive a 2 or 3 yr old one with some miles,see how it feels-still nice and tight no rattles,look at the wear on the leather and carpet .You will then get an idea of how a newer one will look and drive after a couple years.I also would consider a CPO'ed Beemer,and Lexus they are also in your price range and nice.

I love buying cars enjoy the search and drive as many as you can find time for.