Loving the Speedmaster Professional: Mini-Review.

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Cmaster03, May 29, 2012.

1. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Okay, a couple months into the Speedmaster Pro ownership thing and the new hasn't worn off yet. In fact, I love it more all the time. Thought I would post a few quick thoughts about why and so forth, and make this a mini-review.

History--

This watch is unsurpassed here, and we all know it. No surprises there. From Pre-Moon, to Apollo XI and the Moon to Apollo XIII and beyond, this watch is really an icon (and we know that word gets thrown around the watch community a little too easily). This watch it the real deal: the icon of icons in sport watches. (All apologies to my first love, the great Submariner, but it's true.)

Looks--

Along with its incomparable history, this watch continues to sell for one very important reason in my humble opinion: it looks amazing. The dial is crisp, clean, and classic. Everybody says it is highly legible and they're right.

Functionality--

Here's where I was surprised a bit. I expected to like the Speedy, but I was shocked at its COSC accuracy (I have a modern 3570.50 remember) and by how often I would actually use the chronograph. I use it to time walks and bike rides, cooking times, even how long I let my single malt breathe! I use the chronograph every day...enough to realize what I have been missing all these years. Yes, you can do some of these things with a rotating bezel, but if I am walking and stop to chat with a friend for example, I merely stop the chrono and then resume when I start walking again. Hard to do that with a rotating bezel dive watch. I think the late, great Chuck Maddox was onto something with his chronographs.

Straps/versatility--

Here's something else that has been a pleasant surprise. This watch is my new Panerai, strap-wise! I have had a lot of fun changing out/trying new straps. I've always thought the Speedmaster looked great on a strap, so I have indulged myself and tried a couple Velcro straps somewhat like the old NASA-issue jobs, as well as some more conventional sports straps. So far my favorite is the Omega OEM X-33 coramide strap. The watch and I have bonded with this strap, and we love it. Super comfortable, it is a bit funky and fits kind of like a solid bracelet, but I love it.

Summary--

This watch is über popular and an icon for a host of reasons - some of which are more subtle than I had imagined. I'll say this: I don't think I'll ever be without a Speedmaster Professional again. I might on a whim decide to go Pre-Moon or otherwise vintage, but I don't see myself ever not having some example of this watch. It's that darned cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I can tell that you feel the same way about your Speedy as I do mine. :thumbsup: Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it. :cheers:
  3. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Great review!

I too share your thoughts on the Speedmaster.
    It really is an icon and being able to show moon pics to your friends and point out the watch you're wearing is just too cool.
  4. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    Love it thank you just put a deposit on a 1970s vintage model myself
  5. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    It's one of the few chronos that looks good to me. Looking forward to seeing one in Vegas! :thumbsup:
  6. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    nice review of a true classic :thumbsup:
  7. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Just when I thought I was out........you pull me back in.

Great post Clyde!
    I'm sure I will own yet another Speedmaster one day.

Sent from my Droid.
  8. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Thanks, guys.

You know, Pete...you made me think of another reason (okay, 2) to love the Speedmaster that I forgot to mention.

1. Value. I bought a brand new from AD Speedy for just a bit over $3K. I recently started reading the Ask Men Watch Snob articles - which I am convinced are mostly intended to be read for entertainment, and not too seriously otherwise- and even The Snob has to give thumb up to the Moon Watch. You just do. It's got everything going for it, (history, design/function, aesthetics, great movement) and even a watch snob can see that. :) A bonus is that there are so many Moon Watches out there, the used market makes it possible for a vintage collector to find really nice examples for cheap. (At least compared to vintage Rolex, etc.) The watch is so ubiquitous and available and well-priced, there is really no excuse for a watch aficionado to not have one in his collection! (Of course, it is still a fairly rare watch out in the wild, compared to say, a Sub. I have seen dozens of Subs on the wrists of people I have met through work and traveling in the past few months...don't recall the last time I saw a Moon Watch in the wild.)

2. Unique nouveau vintage chic. This one is important to me, and I think sometimes we overlook it. Imagine Rolex selling basically the same watch they made in 1970 ( a DRSD, or Newman Daytona maybe ) perhaps only updated internally with slightly modernized movement. Well, that's what we have in the Speedmaster Professional. Amazing that we can still have- brand new- basically the same watch worn on the Moon by Buzz Aldrin.
  9. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Great review, Clyde! Not anything there, that I don't agree with.
    You are right. I have never had a more legible watch. Even in the dark hours of the morning, there is still enough lume on the watch to be able to tell the time correctly. They even got that right!
    I never thought I would have a chronograph. Until I started to get interested in the Speedy. Even started to use the Chrono functions as well.
    Have to admit, that I have always - and still do - love the Rolex, especially the Sub, Sub No Date and new Explorer II. However, I have completely stopped looking at them seriously since getting the Speedy.
    It also has two other things I always wanted: mechanical manual wind, and hesalite crystal.
    Now, I can't wait to receive the Veraet I ordered last week, so I can really get it clean!
    Your passion for the Speedy really comes through when reading your thread.
    Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  10. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Great review, thank you very much Clyde. It will probably be my next watch. :thumbsup:
  11. chévere

chévere

TKF Newbie
    It's clear why this watch is a favorite among many, including myself. I also love its versatility; it looks so different on a leather band or steel bracelet.
  12. G.J.

G.J.

Silver Member
    Great review..!!!

Love the mighty Speedy as well, a keeper for sure
  13. Powerband

Powerband

TKF Newbie
    Well it's December and I read this review back in May and got to your comment on Single Malt and lost my spot. Went to pour myself a glass haven't been back until now. Once I came out of the fog I realized you were reviewing a Speedmaster Pro, so against my quazi-sober judgement I went and got myself one. Now I am pretty sure you all know how a man can feel no regrets in being abandoned by his wife, child, and entire estate for his frivolous spending on yet another watch. But this Omega Speedmaster is worth ostracism and utter condemnation to the flea-infested doghouse.

Great watch. Thanks for a great mini-review. Can someone bring me a bone to gnarl on while I wind my lovely Speedy?
  14. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Powerband, I like your style! Enjoy your wonderful new watch. It's worth the hellish predicament you've worked yourself into...I think. :wink:
  15. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Great post! :lol: You're not the only one 'round here to get in trouble over a new watch. :busted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum and I hope you see you around! :cheers:
  16. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Very good review Clyde. I missed this one the first time around. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to write it up!!

John
  17. Powerband

Powerband

TKF Newbie
    Thanks, guys. Although this is only my second post here, I feel like I know many of you guys intimately, as though we've sat at the same table and stared blankly at each other in the east ward while waiting for our meds to take effect. Our illness truly connects us, yes? The doc just adjusted my dosage with a beautiful Speedmaster Pro. I hope this is the last med I'll need for a long time. It sure takes me to a happy place.
  18. sBmRnR

sBmRnR

Premium Member
    Speedy rules!

Have a vintage one from '71.

[​IMG]
  19. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    GREAT review!I love my Speedy, too, especially at this time of the year. For some reason, it becomes my favorite in Winter. So many ways to wear it, but I love it most on leather. I found an awesome dark brown pinhole rally strap that looks amazing, IMHO:

[​IMG]
  20. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Terrific shot, Kat! Good do see ya! :thumbsup: