New to Panerai!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Des71, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Just bought a pam359, wonder what really is 3 days power reserve and how it works. After wearing it for a day and left it on the table and found out that it stops after more than a day. Can anyone help? Thanks.
  2. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Welcome to TKF. :cheers:

Did you try manually winding the watch first? I'd suggest winding it 40 turns and wearing it for a day, noting the time you put it down and the time it stops. If it's a brand new watch and doesn't have the power reserve it's supposed to then the dealers you bought it from should help you resolve the problem.
  3. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Thanks Roger,
    Did try manually winding the next time I wore, but strange to find out that it's faster by around 8 minutes after 2 days (without wearing it). Any idea?
  4. Urtossen

Urtossen

Premium Member

First of all . . . .congrats - the 359 is wonderful. The P.9000 movement are not COSC certified, but 8 minutes are too much in just two days. If the watch is brand new, I would recommend wearing it a couple of month before you get it regulated ( which is an easy task for a watchmaker ) . . . because it takes some time for the watch 'running in' . . . just like a car :thumbsup:

The suggested 40 times winding is a fine recommendation. After that it should be just about fully winded. There is a mecanism, so it can't be overwinded . . . .so go ahead :cheers:
  5. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Gooday and Welcome to TKF:cheers:

Is a bit much with 8 min., You should contact Your AD where You got it from and express Your concerns early in case there is a problem and it's left too long.

As Henrik mentioned, new watches do need a bit of time to settle, but with all new things, nothing is ever perfect and faulty parts/issues should be resolved as soon as possible.

Never the less, Congrats and enjoy this fine watch:thumbsup:
  6. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    That sounds unsatisfactory to me, for a precision, Swiss-made and expensive watch. Unless it says, somewhere in the literature that came with it, something like; 'this watch will not be accurate for a few months, then... who knows,' I'd take it back ASAP.
  7. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Welcome to TKF! :cheers:

How many hours during the day do you wear the PAM 359?
  8. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Bo, around 5 to 6 hours a day...
  9. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Henrik, what's the diffrence between a certified COSC and a non certified?
  10. level z

level z

Bronze Member
    for 5 to 6 hours it should have reach 3 day's reserve unless your wrist idling most of the time ... i had mine 320 on alternate day and is fully wound up to 3 days by day's end ... about 8 hours of wearing a day ... i do have normal wrist motion in the office ...
  11. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That would explain it... your watch needs to be worn for more like 10 to 12 hours to have sufficient power reserve.

If you wear the watch for only about 5-6 hours a day, on the third day the PR would have been run down to a critical, low point. This would also have an influence on the accuracy.
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    On a full wind your PAM should run for 3 full days off of the wrist. If you're wearing the watch on a regular basis it shouldn't stop running at all and you should never have to manually wind it. A watch gaining 8 minutes in two days is totally unnacceptable. It should be keeping time within a few seconds each day. IMHO you should bring your watch back to the AD and speak with them about your problems and concerns. :cheers:
  13. Urtossen

Urtossen

Premium Member
    A certified has been calibrated, and undergoing various test, to see if it laying within +6 second to -4 seconds in 24 hours. No doubt the P.9000 can go that precise after an calibration also :thumbsup:
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Agreed! The PAM 312 that I owned for a while had the Cal. 9000, too. It was one of the most accurate watches I've ever had! :thumbsup:
  15. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    At a minimum, let your AD know so at least you have some record of a potential problem.

John
  16. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Thanks guys for all the infos, will try wearing it more often for a couple of days more before going to the AD. See what happens and wish me good luck....
  17. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Best of luck!
  18. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Let us know how it goes.

John
  19. BlueB6

BlueB6

Bronze Member
    I'm 100% with Jeff on this. Granted any mechanical watch needs a break-in time to get really accurate, but a new Panny should be running +/- 6 per day out of the box, and should run 3 days sitting still in the box on a full wind, and wearing it even 5-6 hours a day will power up the PR enough to not ever need to wind it unless you take it off for >3 days.

The P.9000 movement, like all the OP in-house movements, have had teething problems. While not exactly common, they're not that uncommon either. Take it back and have the AD test it and regulate it, or demand a replacement (not likely, but you never know). The AD may have to send it to a Richemont service centre, meaning you won't see your watch for 6-8 weeks (or more cuz yes, their service takes a loooong time).

Let us know how it goes.
  20. Des71

Des71

TKF Newbie
    Thanks John