Ok you PAM owners are starting to win me over.

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Xelor, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    I must admit I love the look of the PAM 177, enough so that I'm considering flipping my Sub to fund one.
    Any advice on what to expect for a price on one of these and how the heck you buy one in the states?

Any advise will be appreciated.
    Jeff
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Hi, Jeff! The PAM 177 is a great watch. It's just like my 111 except it has a titanium case. :thumbsup:

Chad (leopardprey) has one for sale in the Marketplace. It's worth taking a look at. Here's the link: http://www.timekeeperforum.com/showthread.php?t=2223
  3. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Jeff has finally cracked! :laugh: That is pretty cool. The clear caseback on some of their watches alone is a HUGE bonus to me. Lately I have been all for sapphire casebacks. Sometimes it is nice to have a change, a watch that is less common or talked about and unique. This is great news Jeff, let us know what happnes :cheers:
  4. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    The 177 is killer. :thumbsup: That was the 1st PAM I wanted.

I ended up going round & round though and finally opted for the 240 instead as my first because a) it was automatic, b) it had the date function, c) had deployant clasp, d) it looked more balanced, with two lines of text both above and below the hands, and date window opposing the small second hand.

but the 177 has a black sandwich dial and can go with more straps :)
  5. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Jeff is getting or has gotten the Pam bug. His Sub probably knows it is on the way out and going to be flipped.

John
  6. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Jeff
    Thanks for the link I had overlooked the fact that Chad is selling his. He PM'ed me during the night and I've asked him to send pictures. My only challenge is I have to flip the Sub first to free up the funds. I love your 111 which is actually what has sent me over the top. I'm just a little nervous about all that polished steel, though I am concerned the 177 may be too light in weight. I like a watch with some heft to it.

Rommel
    I do love the clear crystal case backs on these watches and the movements look stunning. I do need to do more research on these watches though as I would like to learn more about their movements etc.

Subrock
    The 240 is nice I just took a look at it. I just tend to like a less complicated dial and a date function isn't a big deal for me. I want to hear more about your collection, and welcome to the board btw. :)

John
    The bug has bitten but I love my no-date sub w/ COSC so it's a tough decision.
  7. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Some questions I have...
    Do they have a Pam like Jeff's 111 that is brushed SS?
    Is the titanium 177 a lot lighter than a similar 111?
    Is there really only one AD in the US, as their site would indicate?
  8. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Jeff,

The Sub ND is a classic. Tough decision. However, in today's times, at least you have the opportunity to make that decision. Whatever you do, don't talk to Dr. Hamilton. :lolanimated:

:cheers:

Let us know how it goes.

John
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    They don't have a brushed version of the 111. The closest you're going to get to this look is the titanium 177. I'm not sure of the exact weight difference, but I'd imagine it'd be noticeable. There are many ADs in the USA, however there is only one boutique and one service center. You should be able to pull up all of the ADs in your state via the Panerai Web site. It lists probably a dozen in FL, which is where I live.
  10. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Thanks Jeff, I must have goofed and pulled up the Boutique instead of the AD's, it was late the other night and I've been fighting a head cold since the weekend.

One other question I have is the Panerai difference between Automatic and Mechanical. My understanding is that an Auto is self winding only whereas as Mechanical is manual winding only. Is this convention true with Pam's. I kind of prefer Autos that allow winding as well such as my Sub and Omega but I do have a Sieko that is strictly Auto only.
    Does anyone know how panerai makes theirs?
  11. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Just like the 111 the 177 has a mechanical movement (OP XI). This is a manual wind movement and has a 56 hour power reserve. It is not self-winding. I will tell you - winding these watces is a joy! :thumbsup:
  12. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Jeff "Xelor" If you buy that Pam it would be a nice variation to your collection. Manual wind is sought after with collectors due to the fact it is less common these days. Not to mention like Jeff said above, it can be fun for a watch lover to have a daily "ritual" of winding the crown however many times. Again, add that joy in with the sapphire Caseback and it is a TRUE collectors watch. Getting to see that movement from the back is like :yahoo: As hard as it would be to sell that Rolex, if your tempted and go check one out in person, looking in the caseback and just holding it, the task will be much easier.

Rolex is great and most likely my favourite brand but it is cool to experience what the other top quality watch companies have to offer. One thing Rolex lacks on the Oyster models is a sapphire caseback :drooling:

My advice is basically not to worry, just go with the flow and whatever happens does for a reason. If it wins you over, buy it. If not (which i'll doubt lol) keep the Submariner. Can not go wrong either way but having an Omega, Pam and Seiko is a pretty cool collection. I have been considering getitng some more Omega watches and another brand like that to give more variety over time vs just one or two watches.

Also, Jeff (colemanitis) if you have any pictures to post and compare that would be cool I think. :rofl: This topic is starting to get confusing, i'll have to reffer to you all by your forum names only from now on :laugh:
  13. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Hi Jeff, you wont go far wrong with a Panerai, lovely watches with the heft that you like, some are automatic and some are manual wind, I have put a link for a dealer in the UK, not to buy from them but they do have some good photos if you click on the smaller pictures, so that you can have a look at the different ones.

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/panerai.htm
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I love the PAM 177 for its Ti case. Really stealthy and resistant to finger prints and smudge. :thumbsup:
  15. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Good point Bo, I do like the ones that always look fingerprint and smudge free. I guess I'm just a little nervous that it will be too light for my tastes.

I've found the local AD in Massachusetts is pretty close by so perhaps I'll take a drive Saturday to see what they have in inventory and try a few on. I like Chads and the price is very reasonable, I'm just worried about the weight. Which is probably really stupid! :thinking:
  16. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I dont think you will have a problem with the weight Jeff, they are quite heavy.
  17. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Good to know Dave!
  18. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    Hi John,

Thanks! I have been here...just veeeery inactive for a while! :rocker:
    I think my hobbies sort of cycle.

I currently have 4 PAMs, but I think I'll get that down to 3.
    000, 111, 24, & 240

The 000 & 111 really are too close to justify keeping both! :thinking:
    The 111 is a better piece, but honestly (and sometimes you just have
    to own one to figure it out) I think my eyes agree more with the
    simpler/more balanced look of the 112's or 000's. I'm going to reserve
    final judgement for a bit though!

I also have a few non-panerais...a Rolex GMT-IIC & Kermit, and then
    a 42mm black planet ocean.

I've had a few others, like a non-cosc 14060m, pepsi gmt, and sea dweller.

The current favorite of the bunch is the PAM24. :thumbsup:
    I'm still really interested in the 243, but it may be too close
    (just like I'm finding out with the 000 & 111).

:cheers:
  19. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    I did a quick weigh-in:

240 w/deployant: 120g
    111 w/buckle: 135g
    000 w/deployant: 145g
    24 w/deployant: 157g

I believe a no-date sub is around 130g?
  20. colemanitis

colemanitis