Omega 300m Seamaster Changes date at 0100!

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by LopeyDeath, Oct 24, 2012.

1. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Ok...so, traveling back to Afghanistan, I was up at midnight and noticed my watch doesn't change the date at midnight, like it should, but it actually changes at 0100.
    I read some articles saying some watches shouldn't have the date changed between certain hours of the day/night, and I'm trying to figure out how to rectify this.
    I only see one course of action: As soon as it gets to midnight, advance the date to the following day. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Is it likely to fix my problem? I may be over thinking this but being new in this business I do not want to screw up the watch when i don't have a local place to bring it to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I'm over thinking it, just tell me to slap myself...and I might! haha

Thanks,
    Pat
  2. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    these things vary quite a bit, but it should not change a whole hour late, IMHO. I'd take it to an official dealer and get it sorted, but it's not a big deal.
  3. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Unfortunately I'm no where near a dealer and won't be for 4 months. I am heading back to Afghanistan so...
    I can wait, if I must...but I would much rather fix it if it's a simple fix.
  4. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Sounds like an hour is too long. I'm not an Omega expert though but do like looking and reading about them. :smile:

John
  5. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    The tolerance for the date change specified by Omega is +/- 10 minutes of midnight. This is actually a very wide tolerance in my opinion - any watchmaker can get it much closer than that if they try. I would advise against changing the date using the quick set at midnight - the date change mechanism is already engaged and you risk damaging something by forcing the date ahead by a day.

Leave it as is until you can get it back to a dealer or service center for repairs. Actually repairs is probably the wrong word - all that is needed is to have the hands removed and reset to coincide with the date change. Looks like the machine that installs the hands was out of calibration the day your watch came down the assembly line.

Cheers, Al
  6. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I agree with Al: wait until you are near a dealer and let them sort it out.

It would bug me too but I can count on one hand how many times during my life I sat there and stared at the date change. If under warranty, I would want it fixed. If it was out, I would happily live with it until service time is due.
  7. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Thanks gents. I bought her brand new 2 weeks ago, so it can wait until I return. What's interesting is it starts the shifting of the date at exactly midnight and then completes it at 0100. It would seem the machine was indeed calibrated wrong.
    Thanks again for the info!

Pat
  8. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    good luck with that
  9. z32turbo

z32turbo

Premium Member
    If it starts at 12 and ends at 1 I'm guessing something is holding up the process inside so I would definitely wait on a pro since it's only 2 weeks old. Can't chalk this up to wear and tear for only 2 weeks.
  10. LopeyDeath

LopeyDeath

TKF Newbie
    Lol, thanks. Life's not too bad...I guess everything is relative though

It's possible. What I am not sure about is whether any of them are designed to simply take a full hour to change dates. if so, no worries...you can tell it's doing it, and appears to do it right on the dot. Either way, I can wait.