PAM 176 Luminor Base Titanium

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Carl, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Sometimes our ideas of what we want change when we get to see actual watches in real time!
    Finally went with my friend Ian (Shandy) to a Panerai AD yesterday. It is the first time I have ever actually held a Panerai and tried one on.
    My goal - at least, until yesterday - was to get a Radiomir Base 210. They had only one Radiomir model in stock, which I looked at and tried on to get an idea. Then I tried on the 176 Titanium, and that really did the trick! Something about that mechanism that locks the crown in place, and especially the brushed look really appealed to me.
    Had never seen the Radiomir up close, and I was so impressed at how well made it is. Even right down to how well the buckle is made. This one came with a tan alligator and also rubber strap, both of which look wonderful with the watch.
    Just love the simplicity of the watch, and especially the sandwich dial. Also there is something so basic about having a winding watch. The whole watch is very appealing, especially the presentation in that wonderful pear wood box, and the instrument that goes with it for changing the strap. The drilled lugs are great for easy changing, and it is wonderful that Panerai still makes them that way.
    I love my Rolex Explorer above all, and am willing to accept that Rolex want the watch to be worn only with the OEM bracelet. I made a deal with myself to never change out the bracelet, and I do love it as is. The Panerai on the other hand, is such a wonderful watch in it's own right, and the ability to get and change those wonderful aftemarket straps is just great. Actually, both the OEM straps that came with the 176 look excellent, and even without the aftermarket straps it is still a wonderul package.
    Anyone who has a 176 is welcome to chime in with your thoughts!
    Cheers,
    Carl
  2. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I am a big fan of clean faced dials, the 176 does look stunning in a titanium finish, the only titanium watches I have owned was my first Panerai, a PAM 24 and a Breitling Avenger Sea Wolf, loved them both, the titanium takes on a beautiful patina after time.

This thread has brought back great memories, the two watches I have missed the most, after trading them on was my Sea Dweller and my PAM 25.
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    The Panerai 176 is one of the :coolanimated:est ones out there imho!
  4. Aston

Aston

Official TKF BaselWorld Reporter 2010
    The PAM176 (or 112 for the steel case) is really a nice watch. A clean dial, a classic in the PANERAI range :thumbsup:
  5. karmatp

karmatp

Bronze Member
    The 176 is another on my list of watches I should have never flipped. If I buy another ti watch, it will be the 177 though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Panerai watches are fun to look at, aren't they! :thumbsup: The 176 is a fine watch, to say the least. :worship:
  7. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Yes, the 176 is gorgeous and the clean dial look is great. Interesting how for watches once you put some of them on your wrist, they really speak to you and sometimes they don't.

John
  8. carbon6

carbon6

Premium Member
    The 176 and 177 are both remarkable watches. I love the brushed Ti finish which gives it a subdued but classic look versus the polished finish on the stainless. Years ago when I first started buying nice watches, I never gave Panerai a second look. I thought they were bulky and what's with the huge locking crown guard? I did not understand the fascination with Panerai. As I learned more about the history of Panerai, the brand grew on me. A while back I picked up a PAM 91 - also brushed Ti with seconds subdial and date on an Anthracite dial. At various angles, the dial appears black, grey, or greyish-blue. I am at awe by this watch. Now I can appreciate the brand and understand their collectibility.

Attached Files:

9. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's an awesome looking Panerai! :thumbsup:

Can't blame you for loving it!
  10. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Very, very nice PAM 91. Yes, the angle of the watch does make the dial look different which I like. :thumbsup: A very good shade of blue on the dial and not too bright.

John
  11. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Had a 177 and 118 before. The Ti case is incredibly comfy on the wrist. Found it to be much better in hotter weather than SS. Been looking at getting a 176 myself. Very simple and basic. And good water protection. Works great on a Zulu strap!
  12. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    That is a great looking Panerai! The blue on the dial is very subtle, and goes really well with the anthracite as well as it looks great with the Titanium! Is the bracelet all titanium as well, or a combination of stainless and titanium?

You are right. Once you start looking and researching these watches, you can't help but get a fascination for them. I only went and tried on once, and would like to go back and look at the 176 again, and maybe some others, but I am just not that comfortable with the local Panerai AD. I am thinking that maybe I will wait until next year, I am planning a trip and perhaps in another city I would have more luck. New York is a possible destination for me, so that would make the trip even more fun to go watch shopping.
    Enjoy that great watch!
    Cheers,
    Carl
  13. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Carl,

There's a Panerai boutique in NYC. It's a beautiful boutique with very friendly staff. I'd recommend you go there. :cheers:

[​IMG]
  14. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Thanks, Jeff. I can see myself walking out that door with a new Panerai strapped to my wrist!
    Cheers,
    Carl