Panerai 312 (Luminor 3 Days Power Reserve)

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by CorruptedSanity, Sep 19, 2009.

1. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    Thats the one I mentioned earlier. Its got the sleek basic Manifattura inhouse movement (p9000) in a fifty case and sandwich dials. Its also got the newer seconds counter and a price that is logical. Its about $6,200 which is half the price of other inhouse movements. I forgot to take a picture of the caseback but the movement in the rear window reminds me of what the engine in the rear window of an F430 looks like too. The boutique manager explained that they released this particular watch for those who want an inhouse movement in a fifty case for a reasonable price. That pretty much describes me. The only downfall is that they did away with the domed crystal sapphire.

I am seriously thinking about getting one of these, I just dont want to rush into it as the last time my impulse purchase landed me with a Tag Heuer Carrera instead of a Rolex Date Just for only $1,000 more (at the time).
    I am contemplating getting it in the terracotta color strap as its a little thicker and is a nicer red/brown than this is a black in terms of getting the color just right.That means I think they got the terracotta color just right whereas the black is just ok. At this point Im asking myself what is my opportunity cost. Pay about $2,800 more and get a Vacheron Constantin Overseas (classic). And even if I decide I want a Panerai, is this the Panerai I should get? I also liked those 8 and 10 days power reserves but for that price I would definitely prefer a Vacheron Constantin Overseas in Dual Time flavor as the complication would surely benefit me during my travels.

-caseback image from the net-

Attached Files:

2. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    I can only dream about "what the engine in the rear window of an F430 looks like" but I can tell you that the 312 is worth picking up!

GO FOR IT!
  3. T-R

T-R

Silver Member
    Only 6,200? That's steal!!! My AD over me about 6,800!!!
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    That looks stunning on your wrist Saif. :thumbsup:
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I've been eyeing the PAM 312 for a long time and would love to own one. I also got the chance to try it on a while back during a Panerai exhibtion and must second that it's such a beautiful watch! :worship:

Maybe I'd opt for the PAM 328, though, since I would like a steel bracelet for it besides the straps. It's cheaper to buy the watch mounted on a steel bracelet than buying the bracelet later on.

As for the only slightly domed crystal, it has both advantages and disadvantages... The advantages would be that it is MUCH cheaper to replace if it breaks and also doesn't distort the dial when viewed from an angle.

The disadvantage is that a bit of that "old-fashioned" appearance of the watch goes lost due to the only slightly domed crystal...
  6. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    I liked the other bracelet design. I think my AD said he could get it onto the PAM328.
  7. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    He said the other 2-part bracelet will physically fit but because of Panerai policy they cannot swap the ss bracelet with the other type (the 2 piece awesome looking ones) even though they can swap the stock black strap with a brown one. They said they could sell it to me for about $3,000 which is a joke! I really like the complicated looking strap. The boutique manager said they Panerai is beginning to phase out the bracelet as it is increasing costs. I found that logic (the Indian boutique manager) hard to believe since if Panerai were interested in saving costs to lower prices they would be called Longines and would not develop an inhouse movement. But its weird that their newer models are on the simpler bracelet.
  8. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    ok another update.

First, if one purchases the PAM312, then it is possible to attach both bracelet types.
    Second, if one purchases the SS bracelet version PAM328 it is possible to attach a leather strap but there will be a little metal bar between the case and the lugs and the strap.
    Third, they cannot swap the older fancy bracelet for the newer boring one.
  9. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Hmm... that doesn't sound attractive, does it? :thinking:
  10. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    If true no it will look abnormal but then again they are Indians and are known to easily pass false info to avoid looking uninformed.
  11. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    I may get flamed for this, but the flat crystal on this watch ruins it for me. It made it look kind of like a miso soup bowl with a flat lid, almost an upside-down feeling. Much prefer the 233 look!
  12. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    morgman, if its any consollation its not totally flat. Compared to the non-1950 crystals its got a little bump, compared to the domed 1950 cases I would say it has about 35% dome of the the full 1950 dome. I know 35% is not even half but it satisfies me. The inhouse movement + sandwich dial + purist dial outweighs the almost flat crystal.
  13. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    Hi Saif,
    I have tried it on. In person it still felt like a bowl to me, probably because of the 1950's case and the thickness. The case may have even been thicker than the 243's, but with shallower case-back. I love everything about it other than the crystal and case thickness.

If you like it though, that's what counts!! I am probably in the minority here with my view :)

:cheers:
  14. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    morgman, Bo is anything but minority haha. He too fondled the idea of owning the 312 till he decided (correct me if im wrong) that he was not satisfied enough with it and major reason was the lack of dome. Another character that helps outweigh (to me) the less domed crystal is the presence of 6 and 9 and 12. Look at it this way, half the dial is numbered while the other isnt. Kinda symbolic and interesting on so many levels (to me). Ahh those Italians drive me crazy with their flare for design.
  15. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Actually, I am more and more thinking about getting a PAM 312.. yes, the crystal is only VERY slightly domed, but it does offer the advantage that you can tell the time much easier when you view the watch from the side..

Imho, in principle it comes down to the question if you want a practical watch (easier to tell the time from), OR a "vintage looking" watch with a blurring, handcut sapphire crystal....

On another level, however, IF you are unlucky and shatter the 1950 superdomed crystal - or scratch it; yes it can happen, even with sapphire crystals and especially with such a high-standing crystal! - it will cost a small fortune to replace (about 1,000 Dollars!!)..

The slightly domed crystal on the PAM 312, however, is much less proned to get knocked due to its low profile AND is much cheaper to replace if an accident happens... this is one of the things that make the watches with Cal. 900X cheaper than the ones with Cal. 200X... oh, AND increases the WR to 300m instead of the 100m that the superdomed crystal can handle.

Now to show you what I mean with the annoying distortion of the superdomed crystals, have a look at these pics of the crystal on the PAM 270...

See the seconds hand? This would drive me nuts in the long run: :crazy: :banghead:

img1748ison2.jpg

img1967iscb7.jpg
    (Pics by "Niffko"; watchlounge.de).
  16. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    I actually like the super domed feature. The super dome IMO is really nice, even if sometimes you cant see the seconds from certain angles. It reminds me of the super dome. But ill still end up getting the PAM312 as the PAM 233 or PAM 270 is just not worth the price being charged for it. If im not mistaken, the 233 and 270 are almost double the price of the 312.. Sure they have more 3 more complications (day/night, reserve, gmt indicators) but still IMO not worth the difference.
  17. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    some high definition images for you guys! I had to save each of them to my PC then upload each of them to imageshack.us because the forum software instantly downsizes the resolution and quality. And I dont want to steal bandwith from the initial server hosting the images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity

Bronze Member
    Here are pictures of the Panerai 328.

My AD said that the little piece between the case and where the bracelet begins is permanent. Ca any one confirm?
    In the first image below, it seems from the back that it is not welded to the case. It would be economically smarter to purchase the bracelet version and then later on get straps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    Bo, what about the "miso soup bowl effect?" Does the fact that the case is really "bowled" and the crystal is flat annoy you visually? I agree that in most pics I see, it looks like a great piece.
  20. morgman

morgman

Silver Member
    Is it me, or is the bezel slightly thinner than on, say a PAM104 with luminor case?