Panerai and Rolex

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by gregcar, Mar 10, 2011.

1. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    HI, this is my first post...I am a long time rolex owner, but, have traded all of mine in and have re-started my panerai collection...have had the 164, daylight on steel, and PAM 212, all of which I ultimately traded back for different rolexes...I have had the explorer II twice, regular sea dweller, 2 pepsi gmts (one vintage but w/sapphire) and one newer, a non-date sub, LV sub, 1680 sub, and 16610 sub, and the most uncomfortable watch I have ever worn, the deep sea sea dweller, all of which are now gone! I have a PAM 25 on titanium, which I am in love with after having it a week now...my change in attitude is that I love the look of the panerai, and more importantly, the size, the 44mm is the perfect size for me, I have a 7.5 inch wrist, and the rolexes look very small on me...it is very disappointing because I love the rolex history and look, especially the older models, but even the alleged "supercase" looks tiny on me...anyone else ever go through this? I have decided Panerai is my brand, and I'm already thinking of my next model, although it is hard to decide which one!
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Welcome to TKF! We have many Panerai fans here on TKF and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. I have a 7.5" wrist as well, and I too believe that a 44mm PAM fits my wrist PERFECTLY. Enjoy the forums!

Also, feel free to post some pics of your PAM 025! :cheers:
  3. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    thank you

for the welcome, this seems like a friendlier forum than some others...anyways, ordered a gunny strap, once I get it I'll post...and once I figure out how to post them...I have to say, I love the titanium, much more comfortable than steel, and it gives a patina look to the watch...out of all the watches I've owned, this is my favorite...so far, ha ha
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    7.5" wrist seems to be fairly common, I have had a couple of Panerais and also think that the 44mm size is perfect (although I must admit the first time I tried that size it took a bit of getting used too) I have had a 111, 24 and 25 loved them all.

A very warm welcome to TKF, really hope you enjoy yourself here. :thumbsup:
  5. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    Welcome to TKF, I'd love to see some pictures of that Pam.
  6. esm

esm

Silver Member
    welcome. great journey you have.

i have a 7.25" wrist and enjoy both Rolex (40mm to 41mm variants) and Panerai (44mm to 45mm variants - waiting on a 47mm). i personally dont believe that a new supercased 40mm Rolex is tiny on a 7.5" wrist. maybe you are just used to a larger watch (it happens quite often...)

if you are able to, im sure most of us would love to some of your compario wrist pix.

did you know Rolex used to supply movements to Panerai back in the days?

any idea on which one you want next?

enjoy your stay.
  7. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    welcome greg!! I recognize your name from the other forum. I love the 212 (wish you didn't flip it?)
    I found my PAM flies more under the radar verses Rolex.
  8. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Welcome Greg. :cheers:

Sounds like you've had a long history with watches. I love Ti watches and hope to have a nice one some day. For now it's a Ti Citizen Ecodrive. Also, I have a Gunny Strap on my SD and love it. Peter makes some great stuff! :thumbsup:
  9. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Agree, 44mm is better size for a 7.5 inch wrist. I have found Rolex to not only be too small looking, but the smaller dials and hands harder to see as I age.
  10. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    Thank you guys and I agree with the dials getting harder to see! I do miss the 212 but have to say I love the 25 and the titanium seems to give I the perfect weight!!! Can't wait to get my gunny strap! Already thinking about my next watch too!
  11. G.J.

G.J.

Silver Member
    Welcome to TKF
  12. artravel

artravel

Premium Member
    Welcome to TKF

Panerai and Rolex seem to be the 2 biggest players in the world right now...Panerai's are very seductives watches but like most of us...you'l come back to Rolex one of these days...it is fun to own both...they are both a great complement together...if you can affort to own both of course ;-)
  13. Sam

Sam

Premium Member
    I think a lot of us seem to go through similar cycles. I started out with an Omega Seamaster, then another, then bought an Explorer II, then another Rolex, sold my Omegas, bought a PAM, bought more Rolex, sold the PAM, missed my Omegas so I bought them back, then sold some Rolex and bought an IWC or two and a JLC, then sold the JLC, bought 3-4 PAMs, sold a few Rolex, sold the PAMs.

I probably should have just stuck with the first 2 Omegas.:thinking: See, we are all crazy.:dummy:

Seriously, I loved the look of the PAMs but on my 6.25-6.5" wrist, they were just too much. I have several other 44mm watches and the PAMs wore so much bigger than those. I had a 106D and agree that the titanium is pretty sweet.:thumbsup:

I had a Gunny strap for my 190. By far the softest strap ever. He makes a nice strap and it was fairly inexpensive compared to the other comparable straps out there.
  14. artravel

artravel

Premium Member
    well said Sam...we are much alike lollll...
  15. fstnlgl

fstnlgl

Bronze Member
    Welcome to the forum. I agree that Panerai are great watches. I have a Pam 24 and wear it with a rubber strap or a Ted Su Ammo pouch custom strap. It's a 44 and fits my 7 1/2 wrists. However, I also have a Deep Sea Sea D Rolex and also find that it fits well. Check out the new Pam 382 Bronzo. It's my next quest. Enjoy.
  16. Aerome

Aerome

TKF Newbie
    Welcome to the forum.

Like Rolex, Panerai has a pretty good story to be told. I'll bet between the forums and the books, there's a lot of info out there.
  17. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Welcome to TKF. I've never owned a PAM but agree they make some beautiful watches. You've had quite a collection and seems you know what you want.

John
  18. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    Great input from everyone...it is funny to hear that it sounds like I know what I want, ha ha, I want something new every day...I need to win the lottery!
  19. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Yes, winning the lottery would solve some of my watch related issues. :thumbsup: But then, I'd be sad, because I wouldn't have any watch issues as I would buy them all.

John
  20. santandk

santandk

TKF Newbie
    Welcome to the forum! Being a newbie in the watch collecting world, I started off with a couple of Tags before moving on to a few Rolexes. Lately I've found myself looking at Panerais as they seems to over more complications over "simple" Rolexes. The only problem is that my wrist size is 6.5" :banghead: , and most of the Panerais that caught my attention has been 44mm up in size.
    Anyway, if you don't mind sharing your experience in buying AND selling watches, it would be good for a beginner like me. I've never sold any watches before and I don't think I ever could. Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing more of your posts and pics :cheers:.