Panerai - Educate me!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Pete17, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    As a long time Rolex nut I have always been curious to the allure of the Panerai watches.
    I know there is a Rolex link to Panerai way back when but that's about all I know I'm afraid.

Quality wise - how do they compare to the Rolex sports watches?
    Are they a reliable watch?
    Do they keep their value?

They all seem to be about 44mm diameter.
    But how thick are they?

Do they use SuperLuminova?
    I saw a Luminor Submersible for sale here the other day. I think it was made back in 2004. I was surprised to see it had a tritum dial.

Do all their watches have an in-house movement in them these days?

They all seem to come on rubber straps which I don't really like.
    Is it possible to buy one from an AD with a bracelet?

I look forward to all your views and opinions on these fine watches.
  2. Wostep

Wostep

TKF Newbie
    As a technician i wouldnt reccomend Panerai`s .
    Reliable ? Yes , but not like the monster called 3135 movement .
    They mainly use Eta products which they decorate in order to give their own touch to the movements .
    Been to the Eta factory i can assure that all the decorations are made by Eta .
    They already construct some "in house" movements but the majority of their products still use the Eta calibers .
    Panerai and all these brands just order their movements and Eta is responsible to deliver them decorated already .
    Do they keep their value? At least in Greece yes because of the marketing and all these commercial .
    But again you cant compare with Rolex .
    Reffering to the super luminova i dont have a clue to help you out .
    They have rubber straps , leather straps as well as bracelets so you wont have any problem to buy a bracelet if that what you ask .
    But seriously in that price range Rolex is more powerful than any other brand .
    And also the value for money .
    Fully support Rolex
  3. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Nikos, thanks for the information.
  4. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Great information, thanks. I did not know ETA did all the decorating for them (or other companies).
  5. Wostep

Wostep

TKF Newbie

Same goes for lots and lots of companies .

I was able to see movements made for Cartier , Panerai , Fortis , Omega , Tissot ... and the list is so huge !
  6. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :coolanimated: In a way it is a shame (for the more expensive watshes) but to me, ETA is still a part of Swiss watch history and once it is not outsourced outside the country or continent even i'm ok :yahoo: Although, can not beat a nice in-house movement :thumbsup:
  7. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Panerai makes a high quality watch... as you'd expect from a watch with such a large price tag. :thumbsup:

Yes, they're very reliable and come with a 2 year warranty - double that of a Rolex warranty. :thumbsup:

Yes. Panerai holds there value very well, or I wouldn't own one. They hold their value just as well as a Rolex IMHO. :thumbsup:

Panerai models vary in diameter and thickness, depending on the model. They run between 40-48mm. 44mm seems to be the most popular and is the size that I prefer. :thumbsup:

Panerai uses Luminova, just like Rolex. Tritium can't be used in watches unless it's self contained.

Most of their watches have ETA movements. Some of their newer models have in-house Panerai movements.

The rubber strap is an extra to the leather strap that is supplied with most models. Some Panerai watches come with a metal bracelet. You can always purchase these items seperately from a Panerai boutique. :thumbsup:
  8. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    High quality watches that keep their prices as well as Rolex, well worth a look as an alternative to a Rolex sport model, had two so far, will have more in the future, I love em.
  9. Toph

Toph

Silver Member
    because mine looks like this:lol:

great watches. I love the look. Hold value well etc etc so many reasons. Limited numbers compared to rolex
    hope everyone is doing well
    :cheers:

Attached Files:

10. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Thats a beauty Toph, great pictures as well, wear it in the very best of health.:thumbsup:
  11. Toph

Toph

Silver Member
    Thanks Dave- i just created a new thread about it. Hope you are well and well done on becoming a mod:thumbsup:
    :cheers:
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Beautiful PAM, Toph! :drool: :drool:
  13. Toph

Toph

Silver Member
    Thanks Jeff:thumbsup::thumbsup: hope your well
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Some Rolex models keep their value better than others, and some PAM models keep their value better than others...

In general, though, modern watches are not a good investment. However, if you are in the lucky position to have bought a Rolex or Panerai 30+ years ago which still has its box and papers and is in good condition, it's a different story altogether.
  15. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Panerai:

Superluminova. Some of the best lum on any watch out there.

ETA movements. Either modifed vj. 7750 automatic movements or UNitas Manual Wind movement. Decorated, finished, and regulated by Panerai. Both movements are very good quality movements, swiss made, and proven work horses. One real advantage of these movements, is any competent watchmaker can repair/service and get parts for. Not true for many in-house movements. Stuck in Kathmandu, Nepal or one of the "Stans", your ETA Swiss Movement can get repaired or serviced. In house, including Rolex, you may be waiting until you get back to your home country.

Panerai also has 5 different In-House movements that are pretty well engineered, reliable and and unique. In-House movement models are more expensive though, all over $12,000 new MSRP.

Most Panerais are supplied with a Leather and Rubber Strap. There are several models that come with Metal (SS, Titianium, or combination) bracelets. Many, many aftermarket straps available for Panerai. Actually Panerai Strap collecting becomes a hobby to many in itself. Many custom made or factory made straps.

As Jeff stated, sizes of watches range from 40mm to 48mm in size, with 44mm being the most common. Generally thicker than Rolex.

Hold their value as well as a Rolex IMHO. Probably, after Rolex, the next watch brand that is the most easy to re-sell and holds their value. If you have a Panerai from 30 years ago, compared to a Rolex from 30 years ago, the Panerai will be worth much much more. But, they were much rarer than Rolex thirty years ago.

Production of Panerai is much less than Rolex. Panerai produces around 50,000 watches a year compared to Rolex's 900,000.

History of the Panerai watches is actually related to Rolex. When Panerai was first starting out making their watches for Itialian Naval personnel, many of their movements and cases were supplied by Rolex.

To me, I would say Rolex and Panerai are equal, just different looks. I can tell you I receive a lot of compliments and questions about my watch, when I wear a Panerai. Both are good, reliable watches.
  16. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Thanks for all the great info guys, much appreciated.:thumbsup:
  17. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Pete, this article might interest you! :cheers:
  18. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Some great information there, Chad! :thumbsup:
  19. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    x2, very good :cheers:
  20. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I think that the pride of ownership is on a par with Rolex. If I'm honest, I'm not really bothered what movement is inside a watch so long as it is reliable and keeps good time, the two PAMs that I have owned have proved to be just that, fit and finish is up there with the best of them, comparisons with Rolex are IMHO meaningless, both are as different as Porche are to Mercedes S class, of the two watches which is the sports car, and which is the comfortable luxury drive? I don't know, both could be either, styling on both is beautiful, one clasic, the other more contemporary. I flipped one of my PAMs to get my SD do I regret it? no, not at all, do I miss my PAM? all the time, in my eyes there is only one very expensive solution.