Questions To Chad!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by SPACE-DWELLER, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Chad, since you own a PAM233 and I am considering pulling the tricker one, I have some questions for you.

While I have finally figured out how the day/night indicator works, thanks to you, I have some more questions to you:

1) While I know that the manufacture mvts. of Panerai are not COSC tested, I know they're tested to the same standards (or even better, like the JlC Master Control 1,000 hours) at Panerai. However, I wonder if the accuracy is all over the place as the power reserve lacks to and end (8 or 9 days)? I guess the three barrels make sure that the accuracy stays consistant during the whole power reserve span, but I would like to know for sure.

2) I remember that you once stated that you had an issue with the power reserve of your PAM233 but got it fixed... what exactly was the problem? I mean for how many days could it run? And was the accuracy poor, as well?

3) How long would a Panerai Service Centre typically be to service your watch? And what would the typical cost be if the watch only needs cleaning, lubing, fresh gaskets, polishing/satination, timing etc?

4) Is the superdomed crystal of the 1950ies cases (like the PAM233) AR coated? If so, on the inner, outer or both sides? Or not at all?
  2. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Crystal is AR Coated. Not sure if both outer and inner. Is nice cyrstal. I have banged it up and bit and no scratches.

Power reserve stopped for me at 5 day mark. Panerai service center in Bangkok fixed for me and had back within 3 weeks. Good service. Under warranty, no charge.

Don't know how much Panerai charges for service. About same as Rolex I think.

Saw no difference in accuracy from 8 days to 1 day.

Cheers.
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Thanks, Chad! :thumbsup:
  4. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Bo, from what I read in one of the interviews with Angelo Bonati, the "8 days" movement was designed to be accurate no matter what the reserve - 1 to 8 days. Of course, I have no personal experience, but I thought I'd share this information with you. :cheers:
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Yeah, I guess each of the 3 barrels takes over once the PR drops, making sure the tension of the hairspring stays the same.