Removing Scratches from Speedy Crystal

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by k.lange, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    They have done what any dealer of used watches would do before putting a watch up for sale - in fact I'm quite sure some dealers would not do all the testing these guys have done before selling it. As they said, the warranty is there for a reason, and if there is a problem it would be used to take care of it.

I'm not sure what you expect in terms of documentation but I don't see anything that the dealer has done, based on your last post, is anything sub-standard. Of course it sounds like they could be less defensive, but I'm talking about technical things.

Nothing in those timing slips looks out of the ordinary in my view - all well within Omega specs. In fact he is only obligated to check that movement in 3 positions, not 5, and even with 5 positions tested it still meets the specs that it really only has to meet in 3 positions. Quite good results.

You have never clarified how often you wind the watch, or what time frame this 2 minute gain happened over. So with what you have posted so far, I see nothing wrong with this watch.

Note that these watches should be wound each day for best accuracy results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Cheers, Al
  2. k.lange

k.lange

Premium Member
    Thanks for your helpful response Al.

I wind my watch each morning. The time period over which I was seeing a two minute gain was about two days.

My concern with the dealership started with them telling me the watch had its papers and it turned out to only have some of them. Having spent at least $1,000 more than a watch sold via the gray market I was starting to be concerned that they were not fully honest with me and that I might have paid too much for the watch. Yes, I did get a warranty, but is that worth $1,000? When I started noticing the watch was running fast I became concerned that they hadn't done that much service work.

My idea about documentation came from what I see at car service shops. I thought it would be reasonable to think that a watch dealer would also keep records.

All of that being said I now feel much better about the watch's condition and performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    Well, new information now with missing papers - not sure what papers are missing. If I was promised specific things in the deal, and didn't get what they promised, then I'm not sure I would have gone through with the purchase. Or I would have asked for a discount on the price at least.

Anyway, there's nothing on the timing slips that accounts for a 2 minute gain over 2 days, so not sure what's going on there.

Keep an eye on it, and if it's not running properly, get it in and take advantage of their warranty. $1000 would pay for an Omega factory service and more, so if there's any doubt, get it serviced.

Cheers, Al
  4. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    Well, new information now with missing papers - not sure what papers are missing. If I was promised specific things in the deal, and didn't get what they promised, then I'm not sure I would have gone through with the purchase. Or I would have asked for a discount on the price at least.

Anyway, there's nothing on the timing slips that accounts for a 2 minute gain over 2 days, so not sure what's going on there.

Keep an eye on it, and if it's not running properly, get it in and take advantage of their warranty. $1000 would pay for an Omega factory service and more, so if there's any doubt, get it serviced.

Cheers, Al
  5. k.lange

k.lange

Premium Member
    Yeah it my mistake on my part to not look at the paperwork before I made the purchase. It's missing all of the cards. The only documentation are the little booklets for the Operating Instructions and service center data.

I will keep an eye on it and am glad to have a good two years of warranty coverage.

Well I'm happy with my watch and happy to be getting better service from the AD.

Thanks again Al for your help.