Rolex still for adventure, or just for status?

Discussion in 'Rolex Watches' started by leopardprey, Nov 1, 2008.

1. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    So, what are your opinions? Rolex watches still made for adventure, travel, and professional usage? Or have they now just become more of a jewelry, fashion statement, status symbol?

Now some Rolex watches definatly fit into the jewelry side, such as a ladies date just with diamonds. But I am more referrring to the Sport/Professional line up.
  2. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    I still feel their good "tool" watches, like the GMT Master II, Explorer II, Submariner, Sea-Dweller and so on. Just that for the updates Rolex seemed to make them fit better into both settings. Now with "Sport" models that got an added touch of elegance / could pass for more dressy.
  3. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    I honestly think the days of tool watches only live on in the hearts of romantics and watch nuts like us. Sure, there are still guys and gals diving their Rolexes and Doxas and some pilots wearing GMTs or Speedmasters, but it isn't like they have to anymore.

The mechanical watch industry had to evolve into an almost purely luxury industry to survive the quartz revolution. Whether they look like it or not, brushed or shiny, ALL Swiss high end brands are to some extent "jewelry" because nobody NEEDS a 5-20,000 USD watch to tell the time reliably.

When a Rolex Submariner cost 200 USD in the sixties, you could get a lot of other good watches for 20-50 USD...but Rolex was arguably at the time the King of tool watches and probably worth the difference if you wanted the utmost in durability and water resistance. Today things have of course changed dramatically!

I hate to say it, and I loathe it when snobby people wear a Rolex or other expensive watch just to impress others, but that's how I see it.

Having said that, I still love the tool watches the best, and maybe I am kidding myself...but I love taking a good one with me on my adventures.

(Hopeless romantic and I just don't trust batteries) :lol:
  4. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Good post Clyde. Agree with you, and probably for me it is part of the Romance. Like you, the days of old to return to. When a Mechanical watch was a must have, not a want. In this day of computers, phones, ipods, gps, etc.. it is nice to still have something mechanical. But, you are right, in many ways a $50 G-Shock is a better watch or I can just use my Mobile Phone. But, where is the Romance?

I guess, I do prefer the Sport line of SS Rolex watches, even though they are still very nice and a little shiney, compared to the gold, TT and diamond models as they seem to be worn more for the status than the function. Now, I will have to say though that the TT Black/Gold Sub and TT GMT II-C, still give that tool watch look without going to far to the bling bling side. If you want a tool watch, with a dressier appearance. THe Blue/Gold TT Sub though does look like more of a 100% dress watch IMHO.
  5. Mahra

Mahra

<span style="color: #ec008c">TKF's Sweetheart</spa
    this might sound stupid, well it's definitely stupid :dummy:, but it's the truth. I never look at my watch to tell the time .. I look at my phone instead .. well, I used to look at the watch before, when my Breitling was 24/7 on my wrist, the old school days .. then all of a sudden, I took it off, and never put it on again. Now a watch to me is another piece of jewelry, I match it with my clothes, jewelry, etc. I have the feeling you guys want to slap me LOL.

I buy Rolex because it looks good, and it fits my taste, jewelry with high quality, and there's nothing wrong with that :thinking:. I don't know anything about time accuracy or whatever else.:crazy:

To answer your questions:

Rolex watches still made for adventure, travel, and professional usage?
    To the TKF guys yes LOL, and others who know more about watches etc. I haven't seen many people who address Rolex as an adventure, travel, tool watch, etc.

Or have they now just become more of a jewelry, fashion statement, status symbol?
    to the ladies mostly, it definitely is considered a piece of high jewelry of the best quality.

Whoever considers it as a status symbol, and waits for people to say wow he must be something he's wearing a Rolex, that kind of people honestly need a kick in the a$$ :bartmoon:
    It's not the watch that makes the person you idiots.:dummy::dummy::dummy:
  6. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    I knew it!!!! I always suspected women wore a watch just for the looks and not to tell the time!! Now my thoughts are confirmed!

If I ever get married, I am buying my wife a Rolex, with no movement inside to save money!! She will probably never even notice! LOL
  7. topcat30093

topcat30093

Bronze Member
    I agree with most of the comments.
    And that is on a whole a Rolex is now considered by those that DON'T know to be a fashion as well as a status symbol.
    When I first bought my S/S Sub I used it everyday, but I also used it when I went diving.
  8. Mahra

Mahra

<span style="color: #ec008c">TKF's Sweetheart</spa

LOL :lol::lol::lol:
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Hahaha :lol:
  10. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's :coolanimated:

Normally, I would say that especially the Sub Date is more often used as a desk diver, these days, than what it was intended for.... real diving.

I guess Rolex saw that coming a long time ago, though, since the Submariner booklet states that "the Submariner is a handsome watch for social and business wear but stays - first and foremost - a diver's watch".
  11. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I think that all the above answers explain it more eloquently than I could manage, they all seem to sum it up quite nicely, I know that when I wear SD, I have that feel good factor that is associated with quality, do I need a 3 grand (£) watch?, no, not really, do I need it to enhance my reputation or make me look good?, no, those days left long ago with my youth.
  12. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    My GMT is still an adventure navigating the worlds timezones. Just happens to look good doing it.:cheers:dP
  13. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Exactly.
  14. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member

Personally, I don't think I will ever become one of the people who uses their cell phone to tell time. Even when I don't have my watch on and someone asks what time it is, I roll my left arm over and look at my wrist! :dummy:

Now, some of the other posters are correct in the the new "tools" we have like dive computers make the SD and Sub obsolete from a diving perspective, but as we all know these electronics are great but subject to failure. I adjust the SD bezel before descending on every dive as a backup timer. Some of the divers here will be thinking, if the dive computer fails, you'll abort the dive anyway, which is true, :banghead: but at least I will know what my bottom time was. :thumbsup:

Now do I need a SD for recreational diving - NO. I bought it to reward myself for completing a job that resulted in a big bonus and knew it would hold it's value if money ever gets too tight and that when I'm on a diving vacation I don't have to worry about what watch is on my wrist when I get in "the pool".
  15. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Well said Roger, so true all of it espectially the using a cellphone for the time part. Backup timer is never a bad thing regardless.
  16. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    I guess at lot of us also grew up in a time before Mobile phones, and so always had a watch on. It has only been the last 10 years that myself, and most people, carried a mobile phone or regularly used the internet. So I would feel naked if I do not have a watch on!
  17. GradyPhilpott

GradyPhilpott

Silver Member
    The thing I like about Rolex is that they are stylish watches that were built to stand up under the worst of conditions.

Regardless of how fancy a Rolex might be, excepting the Cellinis maybe, it is at its core a sports watch and you don't have to pamper it.

Yes, there are some things I won't expose my Rolex to because it cost a lot and I have cheaper watches that I can screw up without remorse, but I know that my Rolex will survive just about anything that might happen in the course of any given day and look damn good doing it.

Yes, it's a tool watch with a pedigree.

It's a roughneck in a tuxedo.
  18. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :thumbsup: :cheers:
  19. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    You pretty much nailed it, Grady. :thumbsup: