Smitten once again...

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Carl, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    I am glad that I resisted the impulse to go ahead and get the new AT8550 midsize with blue dial. When I went to the Omega Boutique, the Sales Associate suggested that I check out the new Planet Ocean LE SKYFALL. Although I wasn't exactly sold on what the pictures showed, I had a look anyway and tried it on.

The changes/updates to the PO are outstanding. Especially with the applied markers etc. and the 8500 movement, to name a few.

When I first glanced at it, I was surprised how similar it looked to the regular ceramic bezel PO model. It just seemed to sparkle more somehow. The checkered dial is very subdued, moreso than in the photos.

I really like the red accents, the red "Seamaster" and the tip of the second hand more than the standard orange of the PO. The applied 007 logo is just right without being ostentatious. At first I didn't think that I would like the greyish hue of the ceramic dial, but with the stainless steel case and the matt dial it gives a very interesting twist. It is possibly even more versatile than a simple black bezel/dial combo.

Here are a couple of photos off the Omega website, to give a side-by-side comparison.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The lacquered black "SKYFALL 007" on the rotor, plus the "8507" exclusive movement give it a subtle uniqueness:

[​IMG]

Of course, having the wonderful 8500 movement doesn't hurt the package. I usually prefer to keep thing simple, but in this case I feel that the 007 touches are about as subtle as they can get.

It would be really nice to have a limited edition model at some point, although there are so many LE models and 5,007 watches is not exactly very limited. Still, I was always a wee bit disappointed that I missed out on the Liquid Metal LE. Plus the fact that I am at the stage where I like to feel some emotional attachment to a watch, instead of just going for the aesthetics, build quality and movement. Of course, this watch has all the above, plus many things that make the SKYFALL movie so special for me.

Anyway, Thursday is the pre-screening event, a cocktail reception at the Boutique followed by the pre-screening of the movie. The first event of this type I have ever attended, or been invited to. So, it is a big deal for me. And I get to take another look at this gorgeous watch!

It is another timepiece that really has to be seen in person. It really does have a richness to it that is hard to explain. Of course it comes in a special presentation box as well!

Time to go to bed and dream. Thanks for looking and reading.

Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  2. carbon6

carbon6

Premium Member
    Great write-up, Carl. The subtle 007 is enough without going overboard. Enjoy the event Thursday. :thumbsup:
  3. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Good information. Thanks Carl. You just need to go ahead and buy all the Omegas so you won't have to worry anymore. :thumbsup:

John
  4. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Good post, Carl! :goodpost:
  5. TIMEBNDIT

TIMEBNDIT

Bronze Member
    You have to look at it a little to see the difference, thanks for sharing