Welcome Everyone!

Discussion in 'Combustion Chamber' started by Korean Cowboy, May 13, 2013.

1. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

As you may have seen here, we're rolling out some great changes to TKF.

Upon perusing the site for the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that there's quite a few watch enthusiasts that just so happen to really dig cars as well...just like me! After seeing the pictures and threads/comments about cars, I felt the need to create a new sub-forum, so all of that can have a proper home.

In addition, I'll be bringing some friends over to liven the place up a bit...some of these guys are watch enthusiasts also.

Feel free to post, comment, add pics, and look around for awhile.:rocker:
  2. Machinereplica

Machinereplica

TKF Newbie
    Where is everyone?
  3. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    What is it about us boys and our toys?

Things intricately mechanical I guess...

With current economics being what they are I went diesel this time. Boring, you say?

My current ride pictured below - what you can't see is the Hartge kit gear I put in it. Surprises the local V8 bogans when I feel like giving it an Italian tune up.

I kinda knew it was potent, but the ultimate validation was when a bunch of us did another driver training day at the local track and one of the instructors asked for someones car to demo the next thing we were about to do. I volunteered mine and you could just seem the three of them groan with "Oh God a diesel..."

He came back with a huge grin after flinging it around and proclaimed "Man, that thing's a f#ing rocket"

Made me smile

BMW 535d - 1.jpg
  4. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LOL I'm glad that it gave them an education about how awesome diesels are. What specific model is yours? 335d?

MR, dood, we need to get the others over there...
  5. TAF

TAF

TKF Newbie
    I enjoy good watches too! I inherited two Rolex's from my grandfather.
  6. Machinereplica

Machinereplica

TKF Newbie
    I'm hoping to get some track time soon. My old detachment OIC has an air cooled 911 Caerrera 4 and a 924. Both are caged and built for the track. I'm going wit him to VIR soon to get some track time. He tows his cars with a Ram 3500 diesel dually. I'm not going to push my car nearly as hard as he pushed his though. I still drive mine on the street. I'll post some pics of my car
  7. SteelCityKid

SteelCityKid

TKF Newbie
    My boss just went to a BMW M driving school at VIR. Said it was an amazing track
  8. SteelCityKid

SteelCityKid

TKF Newbie
    My boss just did a BMW M driving school thing up at VIR. He said it was a beautiful track!
  9. REVolution

REVolution

TKF Moderator Staff Member
    I would love to get on VIR. I can't wait to get the rest of the parts for my car.
  10. Machinereplica

Machinereplica

TKF Newbie
    I think VIR will suit my car much better than most other tracks. It isn't super technical.
  11. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

That's sweet TAF, I didn't know that! You should post some pics over here.
  12. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    It's an F10 535d with Hartge engine kit, 3l twin turbo straight 6, 266kW, 750Nm, with an M Sport pack, adaptive drive and 4 wheel active steer and a host of other goodies. More pics. BMW 535d - 2.jpg BMW 535d - 3.jpg

Loads of fun at Eastern Creek raceway on the advanced driver day. Faster in a straight line than my old 330i and almost as nimble in corners. Most of my hooning around and other general city and highway stuff gets me an average of 5.9 -6.1 l/100km. However if you really push it it does get a bit thirstier - I risked a long run to get back in time for a brother's birthday from Canberra - about 250km - accelerating up to 250 when the road was clear and slowing to 140 to pass un suspecting traffic. Only problem - the active cruise doesn't engage above 180 and the fuel disappeared at around 10 -11 l/100km It was slightly nerve racking, but I made it and the fun factor made up for the unease about constabulary

@SteelCityKid - done the BMW days too - great fun to go blasting around in an M3 for the day. most fun was the instructors taking you round at the nd of the day - 1 lap at their fast pace - makes you realise how slow we'd all been, next lap is totally sideways - I aksed and their tyres - Pirelli PZeroes - last about a week Also where is VIR?
  13. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

That's awesome dood...LOL at first glance at the side profile, I assumed that it was an 335d, but after looking at the other profile shots, yep, it's a 5 series! Nice ride mate.
  14. Machinereplica

Machinereplica

TKF Newbie
    VIR is Virginia International Raceway.
  15. westys

westys

TKF Newbie
    Cars on a watch site? Do you have any idea how asinine this is?

I like it. :)
  16. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Completely...but hey, since I'm "not a watch guy", I guess that anything goes.
  17. RegF

RegF

Silver Member

It is completly relevant!

There is a clock built into the speedo and the iDrive display! :p
    Korean Cowboy likes this.
  18. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

NOOOOOO, not the bloody iDrive! I still have nightmares of that from my time at BMW NA...:p
  19. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    Dude! Seriously? You write for the motoring press and you wear a watch that nobody can tell the time from, ( it IS cool mind) and you start on about iDrive? :rolleyes:

I don't get it. It is a simple hierarchical menu system. much like the PC you are typing on.:mad:

The first gen one I had 8 years ago was fine. The new one on the 5 is eveb easier.

Plus you gotta admit, it has influenced every other brand out there in the last 8-9 years.

I remember when I was looking at Benz Audi and BMW back then, the other two germans had a veritable seas of button down the centre console and the Beemer had one knob that did everything that you could rest your hand on and not take your eyes off the road..

If you can drive a Wrangler and wear an LED watch you can figure out an iDrive. Honest:D
  20. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LMAO I figured out the iDrive easily, it's getting other people to figure it out is the issue that I had.

I know that that is the purpose of the iDrive, but most people didn't figure it out. It was pretty intuitive, and I'm sure that the latest generation is worlds better than the one that was in place whenever I left (June 2006). Agreed on influencing the other brands...while everyone generally hated the "flame surfacing" design theme, I loved it because not only did it look different from everything else, but it brought in a tonne of new people to the brand. For me professionally (at the time), it was great because we were constantly busy.

As for the current generation, IMHO, the 3/5/7 series look great! The 6/M6 is becoming my favourite GT...

I don't drive a Wrangler, I have:

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium - got from my Grandmother
    2003 Toyota RAV4L - got from my in-laws whenever I totalled my car last year (one year ago tomorrow, actually)
    2007 Honda Civic LX Coupe - wife's car

My watch is freaking cool! In fact, I'm wearing it right now...:)