Well it finally happened!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Xelor, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    I was out having dinner and drinks tonight with a few friends, while walking from one bar to the next I decided to stop into a cigar shop to pick up a few sticks, when it happened. The guy working in the cigar shop recognized my Panerai and asked which model Pam I was wearing? I was shocked!!!!!!!

Since picking up the 111 in January, no one (outside of the AD) has recognized my Pam and asked which one I owned. So I struck up a quick conversation (while picking up a cigar for the evening) with him. Turned out he own's a 005 logo which sadly he wasn't wearing on this night.

As we left the cigar shop I turned to my friend Matt and said, "this is the first time I have had someone recognize my Pam out in public." While enjoying a Guinness on the patio at the next bar, Matt asked why I was so excited, so I explained to the guys that when I wore a Movado I noticed everyone had one and that I desired something different, so I moved up to a Rolex, but still I noticed too many around the office. This ultimately led me to the Panerai, which I have yet to see at work, and which has become my daily wearer, and really is just my attempt to be different from the status quo.

I only want to share this experience as yet another that make's those of us that admire, and collect, these beautiful and unique instruments, (what ever brand or model they may be, is inconsequential) as the common bond that brings us together. I am simply trying to be "unique" while at the same time part of a larger group (which in itself is a paradox) that can appreciate the simple & complex, the civilized and the insane, at precisely the same time.

Cheers, Jeff
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Great post, Jeff. It makes you wonder how many people have noticed it, but didn't say anything. Sounds like you had a great evening!
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That must have been a great experience, Jeff! :rocker:

A nice and cold Guinness isn't bad, either! :thumbsup:

What cigar did you pick up? :thinking:
  4. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    True, and I've had a ton of compliments on it but this guy was the first to recognize the brand and ask the number, he even correctly said "which Pam is that?"

Bought an Oliva which I had never had before and they had the local distributor there so they were really pushing them. It wasn't bad though anything goes good with a Guinness.
  5. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I've never tried an Olivia cigar, either, but will be sure to check if my local tobacconist has it. :blunt: :thumbsup:
  6. T-R

T-R

Silver Member
    Jeff, I have the same reason with you. That's why I'm leaving Rolex too.
    With Panerai, not Everyone recognize my watch.
    Too many Rolex owner here in Jakarta, specially Submariner models (Bluesy is the most popular here...)
  7. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Wow, that's interesting! I'd thought it would be the almighty SS Sub Date.

Thanks for the heads up. :cheers:
  8. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I agree with you guys... lots of people wear Rolex. There's just something about the brand that calls me back, though. I can't seem to escape, and I'm comfortable with that. :cheers:
  9. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Heru, Rolex makes a great watch, I just wanted something different from the norm, sounds like you are the same too.
    :thumbsup:
  10. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Jeff, that sounds like a great conversation you had! I 1000% agree there, it is very nice to be different sometimes. I love Rolex and will eventually buy one but can see why Panerai would be so appealing. Lower production numbers, not as mainstreem etc etc and you would obviously see less in them :thumbsup: :cheers:
  11. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sounds like you had a great evening. :thumbsup:

John
  12. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Sure did, thanks!
  13. MAINEZX10

MAINEZX10

Silver Member
    Great story there. No buddy outside AD's really ever recoginize PAMS
  14. loszabo

loszabo

Bronze Member
    You haven't been to Scottsdale..., right? I never seen so many PAMs in one place!

I don't know why, but in my industry (defense-related) I also notice a LOT of Paneristi. SHOT 2009 was a good example!
  15. roadcarver

roadcarver

Bronze Member
    It is indeed great to see these great watches in the wild, except for the local GTG's, I've seen two in the wild... one was a base and the other I don't recall the model.
  16. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    Never been, would like to see it some day though.
  17. Xelor

Xelor

Silver Member
    I'm still waiting to see another in the wild and to be honest I hope I don't see another for some time. What appeals to me is the fact that not everyone has one. I mentioned in another thread once that I got on this quest of unique and masterful watches when I noticed everyone at work had a movado and so did I. Still have it actually sitting in the safe, may put it up on ebay or list it here some day so I can fund another strap for the Pam.

Cheers, Jeff
  18. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I haven't seen PAM for ages.... really miss her! :crying: :rofl:

Anyway, last PAM that I saw was the PAM175 (Monopulsante GMT)... actually the one pictured in this other thread by my friend Thomas ("Tlfleron").

Excellent watch! :thumbsup: