what are your thoughts

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by Evan614, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    I am looking at a PAM. the seller has posted on two sites (not on TKF).

Seller says it has been serviced and shows a letter dated 06/02/2012 with serial number and "warranty date" with 06/18/2012.
    in the other photo he shows a warranty card-- can't read the serial number but purchase date says 2/2/2010.
    Photo of back of watch is too blurry to read the serial number on the back

issue: I have never had seen or read a service letter before... but shouldn't the warranty date match the purchase date???
    asking price is a tad high but I am sure it will come down over time.
    Seller has double digit posting numbers on both sites and membership started jan 2012 and july 2012. Has sold a few watches and is presently trying to sell a few straps.

are the date discrepancies a red flag or worth contacting the seller.
  2. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    I'm not sure if this is a show stopper and don't know the answer. However, it does "warrant" a question to the seller concerning the dates. It may be nothing and you'll feel better for asking and might even learn something.

If you do ask, let us know what the answer is if you don't mind.

Good luck.

John
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    You can post a link if you'd like. :thumbsup:
  4. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    thanks Jeff!!!
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...yback-1950-3-straps-just-serviced-786990.html

I hate linking to other competing forums (not very respectful)
    First of all-- all of those photos where taken the day he posted and is consist with his other posts for me to believe they are his photos. So-- I do believe he has this watch in his possession.
    his first photo has the warranty card. if you darken the photo you can read the date. and the letter is in the second photo.
    He has feedback but I have a hard time getting around the dates.

Question to others -- that have gotten a service letter back from Richemont: Is this letter consistent with what you got? All Caps in one section (top right) and not in others. Plus no real mention on what service was done... mainly a description of the watch. It would be out of warranty so there is no mention of cost of the service done.

I wish I knew someone in NJ/NY to inspect it for me and possibly do the transaction for me. I hate buying something like this at a distance. I would fly in to do the deal but I suspect he would not agree on meeting me at the airport. Presently this is all talk since I would need the price to come down to what I see other 212s selling for.
  5. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I see what you are talking about with the date discrepancies. My suggestion would be to ask him straight out about it and see what he provides as an explanation. He says he'll take Paypal and split fees, so if there are any concerns after the answer and you still want to go through with it, I'd do that since it provides you with buyer protection.
  6. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    Does it not say case scratched,dented, bezel scratched, crystal scratched.....Insurance claim 12,500.00?
    Or ,am I reading it wrong ?
  7. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I appreciate that courtesy and respect! :thumbsup: Sometimes posting a link makes it easier for us to help, so it's okay! :thumbsup:

My rule of thumb is this... if you're not 100% confident with the watch and the seller, then turn away. He may have some positive feedback, but that post count is pretty low.
  8. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Swatch did the same with my estimate as far as the condition of my Blancpain. Basically if there is any scratch on any part, they note it and it sounds like the watch is in horrible condition!
  9. bridgs

bridgs

Premium Member
    Seems like Roger and Jeff have given you some solid advice Evan.
  10. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I just looked up my original estimate and re-read the notes they provided on the condition of my Blancpain when it was sent in and it said:
    • The case shows signs of scratches and/or dents.
    • The case back shows signs of scratches and/or dents.
    • The bezel is scratched.
    • The leather strap is worn.
    • There is damage to the anti-reflective coating on the crystal.
    • The dial is not in it's original position.
    • The hands are marked and/or scratched.
    • The lubrication in the movement is dry. A full service is required.

I about flipped a lid when I read that - it sounded like the watch was totally trashed. TKF helped me understand that is just their way of doing a CYA. Besides needing a service for bad timekeeping, it was actually in pretty nice shape - probably what people would refer to as 92-95% TZ rating.
  11. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    Thanks all!! great info.
    So is that letter an estimate to do work? or an actual report of work done?
  12. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I believe it is a letter documenting "receipt" of the watch and the "as received condition". It notes that an estimate is not required to proceed with work, but does more say what services are to be performed.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!
  13. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    Yes that is the way I see it. the seller said
    I assumed if it was serviced there wouldn't be so many scratches. Plus I find it strange how a certain section of the letter is all caps. Plus his letter looks nothing like mine. Not sure if he walked in with the watch or mailed it in.
    I think I have to pass.
  14. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    If the watch was serviced in 2012, it would have warranty on that service - usually one year. I don't see any issues with the dates personally. Regarding the scratches, I get many requests NOT to refinish a watch when I get them in for service - I would say it's close to 50% of the watches I service, so the fact it was not polished is not unusual in my view.

I don't deal with Richemont a lot (thankfully - they are horrible) but nothing in the form of that letter strikes me as being unusual.

However if you are not comfortable, then let it go.

Cheers, Al
  15. Evan614

Evan614

Premium Member
    Al, should ask to see the service warranty?
    it seems the boutique drafted the letter not the service center
  16. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    If it was serviced by him taking it into a boutique, he may not have anything else.

When an AD takes a watch in for service for you, and sends it away to a brand service center, they get 2 prices back - one that you see, and one that they pay. They are not the same prices, as the AD gets their "cut" for the work.

I have never dealt with a boutique, but I would assume it's the same system, so likely they take the price from the service center (the retail price) and put that into a letter to give to the customer.

You can ask, but if he says he doesn't have anything else, it won't surprise me at all.

Cheers, Al
  17. aquajoe

aquajoe

Silver Member
    Something my grandparents always told me- "When in doubt, don't."