What Astronauts Wear in Space

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Korean Cowboy, May 7, 2013.

1. 1680

Bronze Member
    Cool. Post the pics as soon as your Hollywood buddy gets you the watch.
  2. RegF

RegF

Silver Member

Not entirely accurate. The Speedmasters used in space were fitted with manual winding movements, as it was believed that in the absence of gravity, an auto wouldn't wing ( in very recent ISS missions this has proved to be false). The risk of shattering a sapphire crystal into minute shards in zero G also had the watches fitted with Haselite crystals, a type of tough acrylics that would scratch, possibly dent or at worst crack, but experience from aircraft windshields showed it wouldn't shatter into shards. They were all also only rated to 30m water resistance, primarily to keep dust out and allow air inside the case to escape without popping off crystals on depressurizing the cabin for EVA's or an emergency. They also were fitted with long nylon straps with velcro fasteners to allow it to go over the outside of their pressure suits

Seiko recently on an ISS mission had one of its specially prepared spring drives taken into space. It is the only electronic watch to have done this so far.

Inside the capsule, many things have been up, from Timex ironman's and all sorts

But inside, the pressure temperature and radiation levels are bearable by humans, so the only novelty is zero G.

Outside, the temperatures can vary over a couple hundred degrees from sun to shade in the blink of an eye, not to mention cosmic and solar radiation streaming through everything. Electronics for this environment is usually larger and hardened and has not yet made it into a watch that I'm aware of. Batteries are the other big weakness of electronic watches outside the vehicle. They tend not to like going from minus 200 Celsius to plus 200 Celsius as the wearer moves from shadow to sun. This was one of only 6 made at the time and was worn by a private citizen, a gaming mogul who bought a spot on a mission ( lucky b45t4rd!) inside the station and then on a spacewalk by a russian cosmonaut. The following year Seiko released a limited run of 100 for $28,000USD. God knows what they'd fetch now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Speedy was considerably less than that and will be fine when I finally get to be an astronaut when I grow up, which my wife tells me is not gonna happen any time soon...

It was one of the Apollo 15 40th anniversary Limited Edition of 1971 pieces releases with the embossed case back commemorating the debut of the lunar rover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the "only" part of the claim is gone, as Dave Scott popped the crystal off his omega after the 2nd EVA and had to use a Waltham chrono, although there is debate if the factory had given him a new model to try out or it was one of a couple of models available in stores that he bought.

And humming away in the dash of the LM and CM were Bulova Accutrons, that just missed out on a sealing issue and allowed in dust under extreme condition

This one is from 1967 and is the model used by u2 pilots, the dash clocks had the sum tuning fork movement for mission timing

[​IMG]
  3. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    [​IMG]

I do not know which particular Speedy this is, but it is on display at the US Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. Sorry about he poor quality of he pic, the lighting in there was horrible...
  4. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    W
    Wow! That is a seriously cool photo!
  5. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    Thanks! It took a bunch of work just to get it to this point. The room was nearly dark and the light color was way off. It was so dark I nearly missed the display!!!
  6. andrew

andrew

Bronze Member
    this is really amazing picture
  7. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    Thank you!
  8. andrew

andrew

Bronze Member
    you are most welcome