What Does Everyone Think About This?

Discussion in 'Omega Watches' started by Korean Cowboy, May 13, 2013.

1. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Fake Omegas

Personally, I don't see the point in buying a fake anything, especially something like a Rolex of Omega. I also don't condone buying a fake, no matter how good it looks/feels.
  2. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    I used to feel the same way, then I watched a couple of online video comparioson done by owners who had both replica and genuine

The one that started me thinking was the view that the owner absolutely loved his Seamaster chrono, and liked wearing it all the time, but for $400 he could get a replica that he could wear when working on the car and other such chores where it might get damaged.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with the practice, but I can understand that motivation

In that stuation I just wear a $10 LCD from target and if it gets scratched or hit by pool chemicals so what

There's also a big following of people who love this stuff.

Don't quite get the "I bought all the bits and made it myself, but it's still not really a genuine" Satisfaction in a job well done perhaps?

As for those that are passed off as the real thing to dupe the unwary - that's just fraid and theft and is completely wrong IMHO

For me I like knowing that some team of little swiss or german guys has slaved away constructing an intricate and technical piece of machinery and they have the skills gained over years of training and practice

Not to denigrate chinese manufacturing, but if I want a less expensive version of something from that manufacturing powerhouse, I'd rather not pretend it was other than what it was.
  3. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

I agree...I would just rather wear a Timex or something, which is something that I've done for many years. I find fakes/replicas to be insulting...that would be like me going to Payless Shoes, and trying to pass off their brand of slip-on dress loafers as a pair of Donald J. Pliners!
  4. BossHog

BossHog

Silver Member
    The real thing is so much more satisfying. I don't condone wearing fakes either. To each their own though...
    Korean Cowboy likes this.
  5. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Agreed...it's like winning a video game by cheating...what's the point?
  6. REVolution

REVolution

TKF Moderator Staff Member
    That is an interesting topic. I prefer to wear my nice watches everywhere but when I'm working, I have cheap $20 watches from K-Mart/Amazon that I have no problem scratching up and dinging. I'd love to wear my nice ones all the time but since they'd be damaged easily, I just go with the cheaper ones. Replicas however, I would never knowingly wear. It's like the Fiero Ferrari body kit that was made. It looks like the real thing, but then you get close and find out what it really is and you just get so disappointed. I was never a huge fan of replicas but that is my personal opinion. I'd rather get the genuine thing.
  7. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Agreed...and you're better off with a Timex that a replica. It'll keep better time, and it will last longer.
  8. REVolution

REVolution

TKF Moderator Staff Member
    Is there any legit American made watch company anymore? Everything from Timex and Armitron is made in China even though Timex is headquartered in CT and Armitron is in NY (I think).
  9. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Yeah dood, Shinola...RL started an awesome thread, but some people can't stand that it's not a "luxury" watch...

I guess it doesn't belong on here? This isn't a damn country club...

Anyways, here's the link to the thread:

Shinola Watches
  10. ulackfocus

ulackfocus

Ooooh, shiny! I want it!
    I need to clarify this first: I F---ING HATE FAKES! I'm not too keen on homage watches that are ripping off trade marked features either, like Marina Militare does with Panerai. But that's me. I'd also rather hunt down a vintage original than buy the reissue.

Okay, that's out of the way. I'd have to agree with you guys that an authentic $300 Seiko or Orient is better than spending that money on a fake, even if you own the authentic watch the fake is modeled after.

RGM in Lancaster County, PA. They just announced their 3rd inhouse movement, the caliber 20.

[​IMG]

Did a tour of the NAWCC museum and RGM the same day with the former owner of another forum:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/american-vintage-watch-forum/31792.htm

If Roland & Rich ever make a watch that's powered by one of their calibers which is within my comfort zone for size, I'll be driving out there to commision one.
  11. SZCZECIN

SZCZECIN

Bronze Member
    Years ago, a friend drove down to the south coast of England at the dead of night to buy a job lot of Rolex watches from the Middle East. He sold me one for £10, and it looked nearly the real thing - except it failed after three months. For me, lesson was learned - only avoid fakes like the plague.

Mike
  12. Doug T

Doug T

Bronze Member
    The more "fakes" we buy, the more of that junk will hit the market.
  13. andrew

andrew

Bronze Member
    sometimes i really dont understand why still a lot of people more like replica/fakes watches then the real???if we compare from price between fakes and real is really so much difference coz the fakes one is more cheaper then the real one but if we look from the art how the fine watches made it so i think the price it will be worth with the art and the statisfied we can get and i think is more worth it for we to get the real one
    coz the fakes one only can made the replica some of the brand watches but they not think about quality coz quality is more important also
  14. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Wow, that's awesome! I read the thread in WTF (LOL awesome), cool stuff. :)

What kind of watch is this?
  15. ulackfocus

ulackfocus

Ooooh, shiny! I want it!
    I don't think they have a model name for it other than the Caliber 20 series. They did have a model called the William Penn that had a power reserve and maybe a moonphase, but it was based on an existing caliber and housed in a tank-ish case rather than the tonneau shape of the Caliber 20 models.
  16. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Cool, thanks! I was wanting to share this on our FB page. :)
  17. kingel

kingel

Premium Member Staff Member
    A lot of people wear fakes to "trick" people into thinking they have more money than they do-- which is kind of pathetic imo. I get guys all the time that come in the store and start waving their arm in front of me with an obvious fake while they are telling me about all their boats, cars,etc..... They'll put their arm on the counter, angle their wrist, hike up their sleeves-- thinking I can't tell that the "President" on their arm with steel showing through the plating isn't Fake...
  18. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    I had a look at the RGM website

It's pretty awsome stuff for the most part. I had thought there were no more American brands left - and I mean completely made in your part of the world, not just buying bits from elsewhere and putting them together

Another addition or two to the list...
  19. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

LOL that's sad...I thought that our (American) society was moving away from that? I thought that we're moving towards not flaunting your wealth? Personally, I'm really big into not showing any type of brands...that's why I like wearing Eddie Bauer so much, their brand name (except for their t-shirts) are nowhere to be found.

Same with Mercedes in Europe, you have the option of deleting the alphanumeric badge on the boot/trunklid (not sure if that's available in the States).