6204 rolex submariner

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by marshabo, Dec 30, 2010.

1. marshabo

marshabo

TKF Newbie
    my father gat a rolex from his grandpa years ago. he had no idea what it was and wore it to work and he's a carpenter, thankfully someone took notice and told him a rolex is way to nice of a watch to be used on the job . my whole life i've admired it sitting on top of my dads dresser. unfortunantly the watch is now mine. i say unfortunantly because about 8 months ago my father was killed in a motorcycle accident. the rolex is very old. the last two weeks i've been on a quest to figure out the significance of the watch. its not been easy seeing as i have little to no expeirience of rolex. i took it to a jewelry store that sold rolex. the owner asked me if i wanted to sell it, i said no, but he kept trying to buy it from me, he offered me 2500. he took off the watch band and got some numbers off it, but he never gave me a answer to what year or model it was, i left with the watch and did my own investigashon. took the band off. it read brevet 6204 and on the other side 988xxx. as far as i can tell its a 6204 submariner made in either 53 or 54 , i'm pretty sure its worth a bit going off a few ebay adds i've seen. can anyone give me any info to discredit or credid my storie. the only thing i can't figure out is the watch has the mercedes hands. my great gpa did get it from a naval base i believe tho and he was in the navy. the watch is really handsome and in good condition. thanks
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Welcome to TKF! :cheers:

First, you have my deepest condolences to the departure of your father! May he rest in peace!

It seems you inherited a very rare and desirable Rolex! :worship:

Could you please post some pics of it? There's a Sticky in the Site Feedback section on how to post pics...

Enjoy your stay here! :cheers:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Sorry to hear about your father. Welcome to TKF! :cheers:
  4. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father - that's my greatest fear in life. The old phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" could not be more true in this case. There are many vintage watch collectors who can help you not only identify the watch, but also give you an idea if the hands, dial, crystal, bracelet, etc. are original or service parts and will help you really determine precisely what you have inherited.
  5. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Sorry about your father - truly devastating. I know what it's like to lose a parent...

Sounds like an amazing watch. The jeweler was an idiot to not even give you the numbers/year etc. when you took it there for that purpose.
    Looking forward to seeing photos of it! Welcome to TKF.
  6. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    My deepest condolences to Your Loss, not easy, especially around this time now, as my dad passt away around the same time.

The watch seems like a treasure:worship:, if You could post some pics it would
    be much appreciated:cheers:
  7. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Welcome to TKF. Sorry about the loss of your father. With some help on TKF, you should be able to get some good information on the kind of Rolex you have.

John
  8. marshabo

marshabo

TKF Newbie
    It's been a Long time. I guess I owe you guys a pic. I'm on an I pad how do I do it ?
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I upload my photos to Flickr, but any other photo service should work. Once it's uploaded copy the URL, then return to your post and click the photo icon. Then paste the URL of your photo. Hope that helps.