A Nice Hamilton 992B A very popular RR watch

Discussion in 'Pocket Watches' started by pocketwatchbill, Mar 11, 2014.

1. pocketwatchbill

pocketwatchbill

Bronze Member
    I do not often get a chance to show my watches, and to me half the enjoyment of collecting watches either pocket or wristwatches is the ability to show them and let others enjoy and make comment on them. By now I guess you all know that my passion is in Antique or at least vintage Pocket Watches.
    The Hamilton 992B was likely the most common and sought after watch preferred by railroaders, known for its exceptional timekeeping and longevity. Of course all RR grade watches had to be within + / - 30 seconds a week, and were regulated very stringedly by the RR watch Inspectors. The RR grade watches requirements changed over the years, but for all intent after the beginning of the 19oo's had to meet these requirements, being either 19 - 21 or 23 jewel, 16 or 18 size, regulated to at least 5 positions plus isochronism and temperature, be lever set, and be within the 30 second per week tolerance. As much as the RR did not all have the same requirements as above the majority did. Some did allow a watch regulated to 3 positions into service, and of course watches could be grandfathered in service from earlier years, with that allowing some 17 jewel watches to qualify.
    This particular watch is engraved to "Luther R. Lester 12-25-1950". I have not been able to find much info on this fellow.
    Here is some pics of the Hamilton 992B.
    Enjoy and comment.
    Bill

Attached Files:

Joseph Chambers likes this.
  2. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing the pics!
    Joseph Chambers likes this.
  3. MTHall720

MTHall720