Air-King 114200

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by shandy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Rags

Rags

Premium Member
    Thanks for the history...Love your AK. My wife has the blue dial & loves it..
  2. GRDowntown

GRDowntown

TKF Newbie
    Thank you so much for your very thoughtful review. I just began interested in mechanical watches about three months ago. Since then I have become fairly obsessed with learning, trying out watches and deciding what works for me. I like many of the brands, both ones I can't now or perhaps ever afford. However, a Rolex is a Rolex. Everyone knows what that means. Or they think they do.

It's not the most expensive brand as most people would assume. Changes in watches is glacial. I don't think Rolex never is going to be the first to grab onto the latest fad. But a Rolex is one of the few luxury brand watches that can retain its value and even increase over time. I am less concerned about that as many are because I want a watch to own for a lifetime. So for me a Rolex purchase or any watch purchase should scream TIMELESS. How does this watch look now? How do you think it will look in 5 years, 10, 20?

That leads me to the Air-King. I have tried on many of the Rolex watches. And although the Air-King is supposedly too small, not a man's watch etc. I have found that the watch does not look small on my wrist. And of all the dozen photos I've taken the Air-King looks right. The larger watches up to 41mm depending on the specific watch do not look overly huge, but the Air-King looks and feels right. I can look at it and see class, timelessness, understatement. And I can still type at the computer without having to remove my watch or feel like I am wearing wall clock on my wrist.

So when selecting a watch, don't overlook the Air-King. And I love the fact that there is no date or other complications. And it doesn't scream: HEY I'M A ROLEX!!!! (Even the most ardent Rolex fan would have to admit that so many of the Rolexes today as vulgar and gaudy. If it's something that Donald Trump would wear then it's too over the top and just tacky.

So go with the Air-King. Beautifully simple. Simply beautiful.

And oh a shout out to the 36 mm no-date, the older 36mm Explorer.
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Welcome to TKF! Hope you enjoy the forum!
  4. Dave Kaiten

Dave Kaiten

Administrator
    Very nice write up, Just a quick question, what kind of camera setup did you use to take the close-up shots of the dial?

Keep up the excellent work.