Bezel Insert Swap Gone Wrong!

Discussion in 'Rolex Watches' started by lubrifar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    In fact, it went terribly wrong!!! :cry:

I was attempting to swap the bezel insert and had accidentally pop the sapphire crystal out with the bezel ring and gasket. :banghead: I had done this once last year and it went very smoothly. I am so upset with myself right now and can't seem to fit the gasket back in the groove. SH!T!!!! I was lucky enough that the dial, hands and indices are still perfectly entacted. I washed the gasket pretty good with soap too. I know I will need to bring it to RSC to have the expert check up on it, especially to get it pressure tested. Argh...help!

Attached Files:

2. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    ARGHHH...MOTHER'S PAJAMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    Oh man, so sorry to hear that happened! Try going to your watch maker first before even thinking about RSC.
  4. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    I must say though, beautiful picture of the GMT dial LOOL sorry i know its a bad time to even think that lol.
  5. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    Now I got the gasket fitted back into the groove but bezel is fitted at a angle preventing it to sit flush against the case, one problem after another ... :cry:

But it does looks cool huh? Okay, back to being mad and pissed off ... ARGHHH
  6. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    Oh i just remembered, im sure jocke can help you on this one. Lets hope he logs in ASAP.
  7. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    This is the best I can do at this point, and time for me to go drown myself in whatever liquor I can find ... :(

Attached Files:

8. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    Ouch, sorry dude but that does not look good. But i wish i had your photography skills :(
  9. Four Thirds

Four Thirds

Silver Member
    OMG :yikes:
  10. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    Okay, made some progress but still not good. At least I got the bezel ring off the crystal but the crystal moves freely on the case. I will just have to tape together until I get some professional help. Damnit, what a night! Thanks for the comforting words Thani, and my camera is just a four year old Canon SD450 point and shoot. Here are some more pics:

Attached Files:

11. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Ouch, man! Sorry to see this! :crying: :banghead:

My advice is to not touch the watch anymore but have your nearest RSC or AD watchmaker fit it for you. The watch needs a new WR test under all circumstances. All this can be done in a giffy, so don't worry.
  12. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Ouch!! I feel your pain mate.

Another reason why I'll never have the balls to work on my watches.
    You should have sent it to our resident watch repairer Jeff!:thumbsup:
  13. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I don't trust myself to undertake anything more technical than winding the watch when needed, I feel your pain though, hope you can get it sorted swiftly.
  14. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    I can understand your pain. I would follow Bo's advice. Good luck and let us know what happens.

John
  15. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I've heard of this happening before, but have never had it happen to me. I have intentionally removed a crystal ring a few times, so I know how it's done. It's not hard, but if you've never done it it will take some time and patience. Here's what you need to do.

1. Get the crystal ring seperated from the the bezel.
    2. Position the crystal on the case. Make sure you align the cyclops.
    3. Place the rubber gasket in the groove of the crystal ring and press the cyrstal ring over the crystal and on to the case. This takes a large amount of pressure. You'll need something to help you do this. Take the cap off a bottle of salad dressing, or any other cap that fits OVER the crystal. It needs to fit perfectly over the crystal while sitting ON TOP of the crystal ring. Use the cap to apply a large amount of pressure to press the ring on to the case.
    4. Snap the bezel on to the crystal ring.
    5. Snap the insert in to the bezel, if it's not already installed in to the bezel.
  16. lubrifar

lubrifar

Bronze Member
    Jeff,

I've tried to seperate the crystal ring from the bezel ring but it is near impossible as my fingers aren't strong enough to do this without using some sort of tools. I tired to sleeve the entire ring unit over the crystal once but that procedure didn't felt right and I stopped immediately as I felt that I might damage the crystal. At this point, the crystal is on the case with tape around it for security. I am still amazed how easily the crystal popped up along with the bezel with little effort. I re-inspected everything and luckily there are no damages at all. What an experience!

... sigh
  17. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Sorry to hear this happened. I think it's time to go to bring it to a watchmaker. Let us know how it goes.
  18. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    :yikes: :yikes:
  19. Jocke

Jocke

Premium Member
    I have get it to a pro and let him put it together.

Jocke
  20. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That was a good move! :thumbsup:

This way, you avoid dust particles coming onto the dial. Had you not put the crystal back on, I'd pulled the crown to stop the movt. to avoid those particles entering the movt. via the date aparture. Take the watch to your AD watchmaker and keep it away from moist environment meanwhile.