Brookstone Quad Watch Winder

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Baco Noir, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I received the new watch winder yesterday and initial impressions are pretty good. :thumbsup:

1.jpg

Winders come in all price ranges with various options and this one is toward the lower end. It's $200 and comes with a 1 year warranty, but the reviews I found from other users online were positive. This one is electric only, no battery backup, but I didn't intend to keep it in a safe, so not a problem for me.

Many of the lower cost winders are said to be noisy. This one is pretty quiet, but if you are standing next to is as a watch turns you can hear it a little bit. The quad is too big for the nightstand so being on the dresser, I can't hear it as it turns.

2.jpg

Each position has a pillow that pulls out, you strap the watch around it and place it back in the holder - one note here is that the pillows are all smaller than my wrist so the watches are loose around them. That said, once inserted back into the holder, they stay in place as they rotate with no problem.

3.jpg

Each position has 3 switches and can be set and controlled independently - on/off, direction, and turns per day (TPD). They can rotate CW, CCW & bidirectionally or just be turned off to "store" a watch. The TPD can be set with the dip switches to 15 different settings from 650 TPD up to 3600 TPD. The instructions did not come with a table of recommended TPD by brand, so I had to look that up on Orbita's website.

The finish of the wooden box is a satin piano black, which will fit into most decors. I bought it on one of my credit cards that doubles the warranty up to 1 additional year, so I ended up with a 2 year warranty.

Overall, my initial impression is really good and I like knowing I can just pick one out, strap it on and go. :toast:
  2. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Can you post a model number? I have a cheap winder, which recently died.
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    How about a link to it instead http://www.brookstone.com/watch-winders-quad.html They are doing free shipping if you enter the code at the tol of the page.
  4. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    That seems like a great price for a Quad winder. It looks good and has some great features for the money. I may have to look into one. Thanks for the link.
  5. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Yes, thank you. Might just make it to the upcoming xmas list. :thumbsup:
  6. Robb

Robb

Premium Member
    It looks great!
  7. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Very good, Roger! :thumbsup: I enjoyed your pics and the write up. :thumbsup: :cheers:
  8. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Hey Jeff - Did you notice the huge date window on the box? :thinking: I probably should have noted that it may not be compatible with the ND Subs! :roflbig:
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  10. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Great review Roger, those watches really look neat on that winder. :thumbsup:
  11. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Excellent review of that great winder you have, Roger! Thanks so much for posting this as it was fun to read and look at the images :cheers:
  12. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Looking good, Roger! Nice review. :thumbsup:

I have an inexpensive 2 watch winder that my sister gave me as a gift a couple of years ago and I have been very pleased with it. ( I use it every day.) I wish it had a battery capability for putting in the safe, but overall I have been very happy with it.

When it gives up the ghost, I may consider something more pricey like an Orbita, but until then my gifted "el-cheapo" does the trick nicely. :) (And I'm very thankful to have received such a cool gift, all kidding aside.) :thumbsup:
  13. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks guys. I set all of them to the atomic clock tonight for some accuracy checks.

For those that have a winder, are you finding 650 TPD enough to keep your watches wound?

Posted using Tapatalk
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great review, Roger! :goodpost:

Enjoy that winder! :rocker:
  15. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Roger, I don't know what mine is set to, honestly, but it works/winds my watches just fine. (I think it just has one setting!) :thumbsup:
  16. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks John.

Just finished the first 24 hrs of timing checks since I can keep everything wound now! The results were:

Sea Dweller: +5
    Marathon SAR: -6
    Seiko: +31 :yikes:
    Citizen Eco Drive: 0 (<-- expected since it's quartz)

I'm going to track this for the next week or so and see how it all turns out. I'd like the Seiko to be closer to +/- 10 sec / day, but for the price it's still a great watch!
  17. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    I have a single head winder that takes rest periods. I have no idea what the TPD are but I find any watch I run in it seems to gain time. I don't have any high end watches so I'm not sure if they would be any different. My Seiko runs about 8 or 9 seconds fast on the wrist but put it in my winder and look out. Maybe adjusting your TPD will help this out, keep us posted.
  18. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks for the heads up Tim. I will keep an eye on it. I have them all set on 650 TPD, which is the lowest setting and the one recommended for the Sea Dweller and Marathon SAR. The chart said Seiko divers can vary and need between 650-900 TPD, so I started it on 650 too. I've have to do some timeing on the wrist after watching it on the winder for a while and see if it varies.
  19. Kokyuryoku

Kokyuryoku

Premium Member
    That's an awesome winder/display box :thumbsup:. The piano black finish really looks :coolanimated: Thanks for the review :cheers:
  20. Rigsby

Rigsby

Premium Member
    Great winder Roger, and thanks for the info.