CITIZEN ECO DRIVE WORLD CHRONOGRAPH REVIEW

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by vk4sgx, Jan 18, 2013.

1. vk4sgx

vk4sgx

Bronze Member
    Specifications:

• Model: AT8010 58E
    • Type: Analog solar powered wristwatch
    • Weight: 156gms(with bracelet)
    • Case thickness: 10mm
    • Accuracy (without radio reception): Within ± 15 seconds per month when worn at normal operating temperatures (between +5C/41F & +35C/95F)
    • Operating temperature range: -10C/14F to +60C/140F
    • Display Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, 24hr time. Calender (perpetual until Feb 28 2100)
    • Power reserve: 4 levels
    • Operation time from full charge to fully discharged 10 months
    • Battery: Rechargeable lithium button cell.
    • Additional functions:
    • Solar power function
    • Overcharging prevention function
    • Insufficient charge warning (two second interval movement)
    • Power save feature
    • Receiving time signal. Signal stations at Japan, east/west/USA/Germany/China
    • City setting (26cities-IATA code)

I purchased this watch from a cruise ship watch shop in January 2013. The onboard shop had a range watches from their top of the line Longines down to some horrible Chinese made ‘fashion watches’ with lurid colours and plastic straps. The Citizen cabinet had a good selection of Promaster watches for ocean and aviation including the Blue Angels models. The guy in the shop was a bit of a WIS like me and he noticed I was wearing a Citizen NightHawk so we had a talk about it and other watches.

I told him I was interested in a multi time watch and he pulled this one out of the cabinet for me to examine. I immediately noticed that it was hefty, the design was very pleasing to look at, especially the dial which although having 3 hands, three sub dials, two of which were multi-functional looked very upmarket and business like. The dial surface is jet black and is grooved and scalloped nicely to catch the light without being overdone and making reading the time difficult.

The outer rim is sloped upwards to meet the sapphire crystal and is INSIDE the watch dial not on an outer bezel like many others. It clearly shows the sequential 26 world cities that one can select simply my stopping the second hand and manually move it by rotating the crown to the city you want and then observe the hands smoothly rotate to the local time there and then set the date automatically! The watch has daylight saving adjustment for each city. This can be set manually or, if you are in a radio-receiving zone, then it will be done automatically.

I normally don’t find much use for chronographs, but this has a 60-minute one with 1/20th second timing, so it has a few uses like parking meters or timing parts of your lifestyle that I won’t discuss here. The 43mm dial wears large as the flat crystal extends to almost the edge of the case. The bracelet is tailored nicely to the watchcase. I had to have two links removed for it to fit nicely on my 7.5 inch wrist. For those who don’t care for the steel bracelet, a black leather strap would be a nice alternative, but you would need to find one that fitted the 23mm lug width.

One criticism I have with this model is that the indices do not have lume or have a lume dot above each one. The hour and minute hand have a narrow lume strip which shines in the Citizen blue colour in darkness. This gives an approximation of the time for my eyes.

The watch comes with booklets, warranty, and a small DVD that I am not going to risk putting in my iMac in case it never comes out again! The instruction booklet is very easy to follow.

I do not know for sure where this watch was made. The dial rim states Japanese Movement, but it could be made somewhere else under license. Wherever it is, the finish is excellent.

Summary

This is one of Citizens best. With the finish, the complications and the style one would expect to pay a four-figure price for it. If you are a world traveller, the Citizen World Chronograph is worthy of consideration.

Steve
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I like it a lot. They make really good watches and I miss having one.

Good for you Steve.. Many on watch Forums get caught up in brand names and dollar signs and forget to appreciate the more pedestrian so to speak time pieces. Those are the ones that keep the world turning.

Wear it well my friend.

Sent from Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Agreed. It's a great looking watch and I have two EcoDrives, so I know and appreciate what Citizen does at a very fair price. Thanks for taking the time to write that up Steve and wear it in good health! :thumbsup:
  4. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Nice review mate! I used to have quite a few Citizen watches...I need to get another one ASAP!
  5. MikeFulton

MikeFulton

Banned
    Excellent and a straightened out review out there..i have a question though..the dial shows a signage in the name of Radio controlled. I wish to know what that means and what is the function of that thing. I heard somewhere of a watch which sends out radio signals in case of an emergency..probably in one of Bond movies.
  6. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Mike, were you thinking about this watch?

Breitling Emergency II