Flipping Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Panerai Watches' started by SPACE-DWELLER, Mar 25, 2012.

?

PAM 233 / Explorer II Trade

1. Go for the PAM 233

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Keep the Explorer II

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Guys!

I stumbled over this PAM 233 "Dot" on a Danish FS site...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seller says he would consider trades with any Rolex sports watch...

So I contacted him and asked if he'd be interested in my Explorer II 216570 as trade. He replies that he would be interested but I'd have to pay another DKR. 15,000 (around USD 2,675) on top of the trade.

He added that on FS sites like chrono24, the Explorer II can be currently had for DKR. 40,000 (USD 7,145)... MSRP in Denmark is DKR. 47,700 (USD 8,500).

A BNIB PAM 233 costs DKR. 77,500 (USD 13,800), and normally starts at DKR. 55,000 (USD 9,800) on FS sites.

He says that I will save DKR. 23,000 on the PAM 233, and he will save DKR. 8,000 on the Explorer II... that's why he thinks DKR. 15,000 on top of the trade is reasonable.

The watch comes with outer and inner boxes, papers, tools etc. plus an unused OEM alligator and rubber strap.

It's in perfect condition and is situated in Copenhagen where I live so that I can easily check it out / pick it up.

I have the funds plus then some...

Only problem is my Chromium allergy that would mean that I could wear the PAM 233 on the rubber strap only (or get a 100 % vegetable tanned strap for it; for instance a Shell Cordovan strap from Horween).

Should I pull the tricker on the deal?
  2. Rigsby

Rigsby

Premium Member
    I'm not up on prices Bo, but I do like the look of it :thumbsup: Stunning example from what I can see, if it were me I would have it.
  3. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    You'd flip it in a month mate.
    Keep the EXPII.
    Nothing against the Pam gmt but there's no way I'd pay more for it over the Rolex ExpII.

Sent from my Droid
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I did expect he'd wanted $$ on top of it... considering that the MSRP of the PAM 233 is USD 5,300 more than the Explorer II.
  5. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    RRP is not a reason imho mate to flip a watch. Doesn't make it a better watch. Other than looks- which are entirely subjective regardless of what brand- how is the 233 a better watch?

Sent from my Droid
  6. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    But don't mind me.......I'm a little biased. Lol

Sent from my Droid
  7. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    You have mentioned this watch before as one of your "would really like to have" watches Bo, and one can't help but admit that it is a very beautiful watch, the only problem as I see it though is your chromium allergy, half the fun of owning a PAM is the fact that one can change the look in seconds by changing the strap, I'm not sure how readily available the vegetable tanned straps are (have you also tried one of these straps to see that you have no ill affects Bo?) if you can get over those facts, then I would change in a heartbeat, remembering that your Explorer II is also a stunning watch.

I think it is all down to the ability to wear straps my friend, that PAM is wasted on just rubber.
  8. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I have found a source for 24mm Shell Cordovan straps for Panerai, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if I'd react allergically to those straps, but I would think not since no Chromium is used.

Here's the one that I'd probably put on the PAM 233:

[​IMG]

But the black is nice, too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I'm biased, too... hence this thread.

The PAM 233 has always been out of my reach, though... financially, that is.

Considering it's a "Dot" version makes it even more desirable to me since it's not made anymore.

Actually, the PAM 233 seems to have been discontinued altogether... there was a version AFTER the "Dot" version with an AM/PM indicator (hand) at 9 o'clock but I cannot find it on the Panerai site anymore. Only the PAM 270 10 Days GMT is there. :loupe:

I'd still have a nice "start" left for another Explorer II if I do the trade.
  10. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Up to you mate.

BTW have you checked out the "vintage " models released at SIHH?
    The retro SLC Radiomir is very nice too.

Sent from my Droid
  11. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    It seems that the PAM 233 still IS in production... I looked the wrong place:

It's now under the "Historic" range (used to be under the "Comtemporary" selection).

Reason seems to be that the strap / lug now uses SCREWS unlike the "Dot" version that had the easy strap exchange system... one more reason why I love the "Dot" version! :thumbsup:

@ Pete: Yes. I've seen the new releases... always keep a close eye on Panerai but missed the change with the PAM 233 (screws instead of easy strap exchange system).
  12. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    I agree that changing straps is half the fun...and I thunk the tunnel strap is awesome looking...but you can find enough straps then it Is a gorgeous watch...but if you haven't tried a 1950s case try it on... I have good sized wrists but prefer the regular luminor case but if you like the watch get it ! Martin Wilmsen has a great site with great photos of the watch!
  13. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I have owned a "1950" style case before; the PAM 312.
  14. gregcar

gregcar

Silver Member
    You know you want to...beware asking me as I change my mind 3 times before my watch even gets to me from my dealer!!!!! Go for it! Explorers are and always will be plentiful the dots are hard to find!
  15. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Well, Bo as you know, I use to have a 233, and the problems I had with it. It is an exceptional time peice though.

Now as for the deal, not a good one IMHO. Panerai "dot" 233s are going for sale under $9000. I think if you could do the trade, plus $1750 cash would be good deal. But, I would keep the Explorer II for now.

The 233 is a great watch, and if my taste for it had not been soured with the pwer reserve issue, I probably would have kept it.

Many strap makers using vegetable tanned leather. Check out Rob Montana Straps.
  16. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Why not flip the Daytona? I thought the EXP II was you favorite watch. :thinking: I don't think you should do it. If you do, you'll end up flipping back for another EXP II and you'll lose money in the process. This is how you wound up owning 4 different DSSD's. Remember that. :read: :lol:

Stick with your EXP II. You seem to love that watch! :thumbsup:
  17. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member

Now there is good advice. Keep the Explorer II. Flip the Daytona and get the 233 ( or a different Panerai). The Daytona is too small for you and you hardly wear anymore anyway. An Explorer II and a Panerai would be a great two watch collection and the only two watches you would need.
  18. advocatia

advocatia

Bronze Member
    Since you asked, here's my opinion. No. but with an explanation....

I do not like the new Explorer. It reminds me of the 1970's. I think that currently, the GMTIIC is the best sports watch Rolex puts out. So I would trade it.

I do not love the 233. The power reserve indicator while fine when placed on the back, looks stupid on the front IMHO. I have become obsessed with PAMS lately. It's crazy. While I love my 88, if I were to go back in time to re-think things, there is one PAM out that is way ahead of the pack. The 372. The 372 is the current king of the PAMS. I don't want to impose my preferences on you, but I think the 372 blows away the 233. Good luck with your choice
  19. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    If you want an 8 day, the 368! But, that is way out of my budget. ; (
  20. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Don't know nearly as much about Panerai as others here, but I think Chad and Jeff make a lot of sense in these last posts.

You love your Explorer II and have said you think it it is the best Rolex you've ever had. That sounds like a keeper!

Just playing a wild card- but you could flip the Daytona for the PAM as Jeff suggested, then get a Speedmaster or other, less expensive-than-the-Daytona chronograph. (Zenith? IWC? Bunch to choose from) and still have an interesting, wonderfully diverse collection.

Just throwing that out as I know you are a great Daytona admirer as well. I have considered one over the years, but always got drawn back more towards the Speedmaster. (Which my wallet thanks me for!) :lol: