Glashütte Original Senator Moonphase, Powerreserve and small date.

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by LarsB, Feb 16, 2010.

1. LarsB

LarsB

Silver Member
    Glashütte Original Senator Moonphase, Powerreserve and small date.
    Ref. 39-44-04-12-04

I had looked at watch for several years before i bought it. I always consider any purchase seriously as I, up until now, have sold any watches. A contributing factor was the lack of an AD in Denmark. I finally found it in London, or rather my wife spotted it in a shop that I didn’t even know was a GO dealer. The model has been discontinued but it comes up for sale from time to time.

The Movement:

The movement is the ’old’ GO workhorse, Cal. 39, an automatic calibre with unidirectional winding. It was also used in some of Union Glashütte’s watches as cal. 26, before they started using ETA calibres. This calibre is basically a descendant of the GUB Spezimatic movement and represents the link back to the GDR and pre-ww2 GO. That is one of the reasons why I wanted this particular movement in my collection.

I’m not an expert in watch finish but seen though my eyes the movement is nicely finished. If I was a little closer to the dealer I would probably have the watch adjusted as it is gaining a little too much, but since I primarily use the watch as dresswatch it is of little or no significance. Who cares what the time is when you are in good company anyway?

[​IMG]

Case:
    The rounded case is in brushed, almost satin like, steel, so soft to look at and contrasting nicely to the polished bezel. #) mm is a small watch in this day and age but suitable for a dresswatch. The overall finished is top class.

[​IMG]

Dial:

The dial is simple with the moonphase and PR indicator harmonically placed to balance each other in the upper part. The details in the dial are meticulous executed and I love the GO on the seconds hand.

I haven’t regretted buying this watch and I’ve since acquired another German watch. Next goal is an A. Lange & Söhne, but that is way out in a future that hopefully includes a lottery win.
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Thanks for sharing this excellent review, Lars! :thumbsup: :cheers:

That GO of yours is a stunner! :worship:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I always look forward to a good watch review. Yours didn't disappoint! :thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to write and post it! :thankyou:
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Great review Lars, thank you for sharing it with us, love GO.
  5. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Lars,

Beautiful watch you have. Thanks for the good watch review and sharing it. It is good to hear why people buy certain watches as in your case wanting a Cal 39 movement in your collection. Adds more meaning to the watch and reason to keep it in your collection.

John
  6. LarsB

LarsB

Silver Member
    I come here and shamelessly suck up all the knowledge i can about Rolex, so i have to try to give some small contribution in return. German watches, Glashütte in particular, is my passion. I've visited the GO factory and this is certainly not my last GO, but my main fault in life is a lack of concentration. I collect some many different things and with something like watches i have so many i want. I've learned to accept that it is the way i am, but sometimes i regret things like not concentrating on playing one instument but having to try them all.
  7. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I guess you share this with most of us here, Lars.. liking watches and wanting them all! :rofl:
  8. LarsB

LarsB

Silver Member
    Maybe you're right, Bo. I've noticed a few that likes fleamarkets and some other things i like.
  9. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Yes, I'm one of those who like flea markets.. can't wait till they start showing up in the spring! :beardjump: :beardjump:
  10. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I have been bitten by the GO bug Lars, I have two at the moment, they wont be my last.
  11. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Welcome to the club Lars. I think we all have this "concentration" issue to some degree. Outside of Rolex, I start to wander towards the Tudor and Breitling areas, but the GO watches sure have sparked an interest. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

John