GMT II 116710LN vs. Sub LV 2006

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by mll7, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mll7

mll7

Silver Member
    I came from a 2006 Sub and most say for me the new GMT II 116710LN is such a step up.

Many things I will list here have been said so many times before but still:

- Better bracelet, I couldn't stand the 'feeling' of the hollow center links, tool watch or not, to me it didn't feel right on a watch in this price range.

- The gorgeous clasp, I won't say better clasp I think it won't be so reliable as the old style, but its definitely more comfortable because of the easy link. My wrist expands a lot when its warm I really missed this feature on the Sub.

And I just love the way it looks, I look at it daily, and I enjoy it daily, the old clasp didn't do that to me, sure it did its job, but I never enjoyed it.

- The date window, its amazing how much easier it is to read the date because of the anti reflective coating. Actually it is such a difference in a good way that I just don't get it why the rest of the glass is not coated. The difference in the appearance of the two glasses does bother me a tiny bit.

- PCL's, everybody has a meaning about this, for some the argument is it shouldn't be polished because its a tool watch, but I have to disagree, the GMT was a pilot watch (a pilot's tool if you will), I think thats a completely different story as a diving tool. In my opinion they should have been polished from the very first model that came out.

But besides the tool aspect, and talking about it just from visual appearance, I still haven't figured it out myself, I think Rolex should give people the choice, to PCL or not. If I had this choice I wouldn't get the PCL's.

But I am bother with them now? no not at all.

- Dial, I really like the touch of green, its hard to notice the green on the dial, because of it, I find the dial cleaner as the Sub was.

- The Rolex inner ring rehaut, it just bothered me so much on photos, I just don't notice it wearing it, but it is a cool detail when I am examining my watch, what I still do daily.

- Supercase, again something I didn't like so much on photo's but just don't mind now in real life. Actually its the other way around I like the bigger presence.

- My watch was a secondhand, but really really like new, one thing worried me though, I could see two screws in the bracelet were 'used'. I ordered screwdrivers and loctite and I was amazed how easy these screws came loose, so the loctite gives me a feeling of reassurance. (The other screws I just leave them, after a gently try if I could unscrew them)

To conclude, let me first say I always saw all my watches as a luxury item, not a tool. The GMT II 116710LN is way more luxurious then my Sub was. And for me thats a positive thing.

I enjoy every aspect of the watch so much more, I don't notice I am wearing it, that means its comfortable. And I enjoy every detail of it, its gives me a smile on my face many times a day without the voice in my back, "don't like the clasp, hmm hollow center links", and the voice was there with the Sub.

And I won't say never, but I don't see myself wearing an older non super cased non cerachromed Rolex any time soon.

Some notes:
    Am I writing this too soon (because I just have the GMT)? Is the new love still blinding me, yeah probably.
    I never had a feeling for Rolex, the Sub gave that to me, so the Sub will always have a special place in my mind.
    This is my first "review" so guys be honest but be gently on me ;)

-----------------------------

I suppose the comments are correct, what is a review without photos so here they are!

IMG_20110528_094214.jpg

Too bad I don't own both watches, so I couldn't make side by side shots, but here's the old LV as a reference.

DSC06758.jpg

DSC06759.jpg

The box..

DSC06757.jpg

The clasp, I just love this!

DSC06833.jpg

Lume shot, I love how you can see the engraving, illuminated. There is no difference really in visibility between the LV and this one, thanks to the maxi dial of both watches of course.

DSC06756.jpg
  2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Great writeup :thumbsup:

...but could You post some pics as well:thinking:
  3. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    nice thoughts and review, but we need photos!
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great review! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! :goodpost:
  5. mll7

mll7

Silver Member
    Thanks guys. And regarding the photos let me see what i can do ;)
  6. HDHNTER

HDHNTER

Premium Member
    Enjoyable read, well done! :goodpost:
  7. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    :goodpost:

I'm with you on the PCL. I like them and they don't bother me one bit. In addition, I like the heavier feel of the SEL. As for the easy link, for me living in the south, during the summer, it gets used quite often on those hot days.

Thanks for sharing your review.

John
  8. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Great post! :thumbsup: I agree regarding the PCLs and think they're appropriate for a pilot's watch. I think they're a nice touch and compliment the overall look and design of the GMT II-c. Thanks again for the write up and sorry I'm late in replying. :cheers: :thumbsup:

[​IMG]
  9. mll7

mll7

Silver Member
    Don't be sorry buddy, thanks for the reply!
    And a nice shot! :thumbsup:

Also to the others who replied of course!