Hager Commando ( Mil Sub Hommage) Watch

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Tanolonco, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Tanolonco

Tanolonco

Bronze Member
    Hager Watches, of Hagerstown Maryland, a new and exciting company released their first watch, the Commando, a couple of months ago. The watch pays hommage to the Mil-Sub. The watch sells for $260 and goes through very exacting quality control--especially water resistance. The movement is Seagull TY2806 (a good reliable movement), it comes without "the wart" (the cyclops), has a sapphire anti-reflective crystal, a NATO band, and is WR to 100 meters. My first watch had a rotor problem and Hager replaced it without any fuss and the one I have is superb. I am off 17 seconds from Tuesday morning--about 3.5 seconds a day. The dimensions are 40mm and 20mm lug width.

Pluses: Good sturdy watch, excellent customer service, no cyclops (sorry Rolex folks who love "the wart"), AR sapphire crystal, the blue lume and screw down crown (smooth action).
    Not-so-pluses: 21K beat Seagull (the 28K beat Seagull would be a little nicer for the sweeping motion) and only 100 meter WR (although 100 meters will suffice for almost any activity other than diving and most divers now use a dive computer).

"The Hager Commando watch is our reinterpretation of an iconic military watch based on the specifications of the British Ministry of Defense and issued to British Royal Marine Commando Special Boat Squadron (SBS) in the 1970s." (from their website).

Here are some photos I took (with supplied leather band)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Nicko

Nicko

Banned
    Nice, but not a big homage fan. It's great if that's what you're looking for. Looks nice on your wrist though and it sure beats mortgaging your house to buy a milsub. Congratulations.
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Lovely review, Keith! :goodpost:

Overall, that watch seems like excellent value for the money, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Imho, it would look even cooler with non "WG" trim hour markers to make it more toolwatch looking but that's just a minor thing...
  4. Nicko

Nicko

Banned
    Do you have a shot of the movement? 3.5 sec a day is a bit too much, no? Just wondering why it's that high straight out of the box.
  5. Tanolonco

Tanolonco

Bronze Member
    yep, my 401K is intact (at least until Aug 2) and i have on my wrist a watch i really enjoy--especially at night when i charge the lume. it was nice that i did not have to pull out the torch lighter and razor blade to remove the wart as it came wartless.

no shot of the movement--have not cracked the "oyster". 3.5 seconds a day is within COSC specs so I am not too worried.
  6. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    Why do they always have to make that darn rehault so tall on these kind of watches?
  7. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    300 feet WR is fine for any kind of recreational diving
  8. Tanolonco

Tanolonco

Bronze Member
    well the rehault is high so one can compare it to a renault, france's "gift" to the world. ok, i googled rehault and could not come up with an answer. is the rehault the "pip" on the bezel?
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Nice watch for the money!

The rehaut is the inner metal ring beneath the crystal (see pic below).

[​IMG]
  10. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I'm not so sure this rehaut is as much "high" (or tall) as it is angled. Looks to me like the diameter at the dial is less than where it meets the crystal, but that may just be an illusion.

Nice to see a new watchmaker in the US, but this one doesn't do anything for me. It seems the bezel insert is a bit thin for the diameter, but I do like the caseback. In general, I much prefer something with originality to it rather than an homage.
  11. Nicko

Nicko

Banned
    Another shameless plug for my 5513. Damn, just buy a 5513, you don't need $150K for a watch, 5 grand will take care of you and you have an original! Hell, you can always spend a few extra Gs on some sword hands and a milsub bezel. Homage is not my style, they aren't the same, sorry.

[​IMG]
  12. GLADIATOR

GLADIATOR

Banned
    Cool
    Nothing wrong with 'homage' watches They cheat / lie to NO one.

I am glad this forum allowes postings
  13. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    I like it. At least they have the decency to put their name on the dial.
    Is that gold surrounds I see around the hour markers?
    Would look even better without them IMO.

Nice watch.
  14. Tanolonco

Tanolonco

Bronze Member
    No gold surrounds--more like inexpensive digital camera or poor photographer skills (my photos). As for putting one's name on the dial--the Hager folks are proud of their product and of their town. The couple that is Hager have a pretty interesting bio and their objective is to move all of the oversea productions to Hagerstown.
  15. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Good luck to them!
    Glad to see someone having a crack at their dream.

Sent from my Droid
  16. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I think for 260 you should get a metal bracelet.
  17. Nicko

Nicko

Banned
    I agree Roscoe but it's a milsub and technically it shouldn't have a bracelet. Now on that note they should give the buyer a bit of a break on the price considering.

18. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    If it were me, I'd issue both a NATO and a metal bracelet for marketing reasons. But I do kinda like it, especially the dial. JMO.
  19. Tanolonco

Tanolonco

Bronze Member
    the hager folks are in the process of working on a metal bracelet. i have a pretty standard "oyster" style band on the watch which is working quite nicely. i really appreciate the fact they put a lot of effort into quality control especially WR. they are good people who provide great customer service.