Help from our Watchmakers

Discussion in 'Watchmaker's Bench' started by MattTKF, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MattTKF

MattTKF

Administrator Staff Member
    I have a question from a customer of mine. I would love to get you take on the issue:

I have a very curious problem that I would love to get some input on.
    I have 4 Rolex Watches, all of which are amazing.
    18k & stainless Oyster
    Stainless Submariner
    Vintage Cellini
    and the most recent purchase, a Stainless Daytona

The last one is where the issue starts. I keep all of them in a winder box so they are always ready to wear. The Daytona keeps perfect time in the winder box. It also keeps perfect time sitting on my nightstand overnight if it is not in the box. Frequently, when I put the watch on, after winding or out of the box, it stops or slows down dramatically. I have never experienced anything like this. It's a 2011 series watch, put in original service in October of 2012. I purchased in last month.

Any ideas or thoughts?
  2. DeepSea12800

DeepSea12800

Premium Member
    I have 4 Rolexs also 3 on the winder Orbita. the program is sett if I remember 650...Have to check its been so long ago . The 4th is a Sub date vintage plexiglass crystal. The I leave in the Rolex Service box. Now to your question .I am no Watchmaker but in my experance the only watch that speeds up is my Sub Date ceramic. +2mins. my DS and Exp II orange hand 42mm is spot on . The sub slows down to normal spot on when worn takened off at night and put on my wrist.

I am surprise your Daytona is giving you trouble. .You mentioned it stops. That would indicate somthing is wrong with the winding mechanism. Being its new Warreny bring it to Rolex and have them check it out. Did you ever let the watch wind down naturally .let it stop and wind it 40 turns on the crown and see what happens?

Hope you find out what is the cause ..Good luck.