Initial Turn-O-Graph 116264 impressions

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by SSD, Sep 24, 2011.

1. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    After barely 24 hours I have made a couple of quick observations that some folks might be interested in. This watch is in SS with a WG rotating bezel. The bezel is crisp and turns quite smoothly in both directions. It has black indicators showing ten minute increments, with a triangle at 12 and hash marks for five minute positions. Since the indicators require flats in the fluted bezel's texture, it becomes quite spectacular in direct sunlight!

The rehaut has the "Rolex-Rolex-Rolex" branding, with the serial number at 6 and a coronet lining up perfectly with the 12 and WG dial coronet. Beneath the sapphire crystal lies the navy blue dial (darker than the 16613 "Bluesy" Submariner). Dial printing is standard DateJust fare, save for a red Turn-O-Graph line printed between the hands and "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" lines. The seconds hand and date wheel numerals are all in red, which sets off the whole watch IMHO. Markers are a two-tiered stick style, with lume dots just outboard. DateJust lume is sparing, and as such has quite a limited duration before fading out altogether. There is a magnifier present for the date. The gray, black and white dial variants follow this theme, and all have the option of using either YG or WG or Everose.

The 36mm case is 100% DateJust with nice polishing and a TwinLock crown. Caseback and solid end links are finished to the same impeccable standards. I noticed this watch has the serial number (Z292xxx) both on the rehaut and between the six-o-clock lugs (Yes, they match LOL!). The bracelet is an 72200 Oyster, with polished center links and sides. Jubilee bracelets are the options here. The clasp is the new style, and in this case is marked "MA11", dating it to 2006, the very beginning of Z-serial watches appearing on the market (information source is Oysterworld.DE). This is a used piece, with the warranty card indicating initial sale by an AD in March of 2009, so I think I have a safe queen on my hands. This bracelet and clasp are tight, no stretch at all! That gives more credibility to the safe queen theory IMO. I removed a solitary link from the six o'clock side and it fits like a glove. I wonder about the need for service for its robust 3135 movement (same movement as in my Sub), not knowing any service history or use of the watch. Initial timekeeping check shows a second faster than my Sub, so I'll monitor this and figure it out in a couple of months.

The 36mm looks only slightly smaller on my wrist than my 40mm Submariner. It is a little lighter, but I can't say yet which is the more comfortable. Both sit very well.

I have decided the ToG will be a watch for evenings and not for hard use. That's what the Sub is for, and for aquatic occasions. Although either watch can take far more than what I will be able to dish out, they'll be looked after well. But the WG bezel on the ToG is uncommon, and I will be keeping it ding-free as much as possible.

I'll have pics later, as time is short now. Thanks for reading!
  2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Great Report, Jamie :goodpost:

I eyed up a TOG as well a few years back, TT with black dial, the Red really looks awesome on them:rocker:

Look forward to some more great pics :beardjump:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Thanks for the report. I enjoyed it! :thumbsup:
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Thanks for sharing your first thoughts on the ToG, Jamie! :goodpost:

Sent from my iPhone
  5. Aerome

Aerome

TKF Newbie
    Thanks. The TOG is a favorite of mine. I would have a TT (Rose), Jubilee with white dial.
  6. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Sounds like you're love :love: sick! It's good to be smitten. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
  7. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    I think it's a great looking watch and have seriously considered getting one. Congrats for getting yours!
  8. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Thanks for the info Jamie. I'm new to TOG's.
    The different colours on the dial and the accents off the case and bezel make these models very appealing IMHO.
    Congrats!
  9. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Let's see those pics! It's a great-looking watch.
  10. invision

invision

Bronze Member
    Can't seem to find any photos.... Sounds great !!

Mike
  11. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    Have been way too busy moving house to get them done, many apologies. I will get on it soon, simply too many irons in the fire.
  12. Rags

Rags

Premium Member
    I like the TOG. I think it's a very understated watch. IMO you have the versatility of a dress & sport watch combined into one. My only gripe is it should have a 38mm case.