IWC Aquatimer 2000 Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Six String, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    This is the black and yellow version on the rubber strap with the proprietary quick release system licensed from Cartier. More on that marketing strategy in a moment.

The watch is 44mm across, not including the crown, and 14 mm thick. This is a big, substantial watch especially for someone with smaller wrists such as mine (6.75 in - 7.0 in). I’m definitely aware of it on my wrist both visually and weight-wise. In the pictures below you can get an idea of its size especially in the comparison picture with the Sub.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Speaking of visuals, the watch is stunning IMO, if a little blingy. I’ve read some don’t care for the rather bright color scheme but I like it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The sapphire crystal is almost flat and is advertised as being double AR coated. That’s surprising because this watch reflects enough light to double as a signaling device! That’s one small demerit. Another is, the sapphire bezel is even more reflective. I don’t know if it’s coated or not but it definitely reflects the light. In this picture you can get a good idea of its reflectivity. I did not have to try to get this much reflection.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Let’s talk about the strap. I opted for the rubber strap because I wanted a sports watch that could handle the trail jogging and rainy winters here in the Pacific NW. The rubber is very comfortable and, due to the abundance of holes to choose from and the lug structure on the watch, the watch is extremely comfortable. I almost bought the bracelet version but the additional $1000 was a bit of a put-off. I’ll probably wish I’d gone that route because I read the bracelet as an aftermarket product is priced at $1600. You can just make out the strap mechanism in this picture.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Now, time for my rant. There are only three strap options; bracelet, rubber and hook and loop. That’s it. Nothing else. Aftermarket straps won’t fit because of the proprietary strap changing mechanism. And the price for swapping out the strap? I've read (but have not verified) the bracelet is $1600 and the rubber strap is $175. The buckle is priced separately at $125. This is an example where they have you by the …neck… and they’re going to financially abuse you. Still, I knew this going in and bought the watch anyway but I still don’t like it.

A few other notes. The fit and finish is superb, as I’d expect from IWC. Whereas the size and heft of the AT makes my Portuguese Chronograph seem almost dainty in comparison, it has the same almost jewel-like quality. It does have a screw-in crown. The movement is based upon an ETA 2892.

This is the first watch I’ve ever set to the US Govt. time clock and checked its accuracy. Would you believe less than 2 seconds fast in the last 6 days?! Boom!! Take that COSC Rolex Submariner!

Lume is excellent although I've seen better. After having several watches with C3 SuperLuminova, I’ve decided nothing else comes close to that lume. Still, the time is readily readable in the early morning hours so it lasts through the night. I do like how it’s sensitive enough to pick up whatever ambient light is available and give it back with a very subdued glow even in a partially lit room. Very cool.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

That’s about it. Overall, I love this watch and can’t imagine ever parting with it but I’ve said that before.

Thanks for reading.

Chris
  2. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Good review Chris! I like the curved lugs. I think at 44mm you have to have them. :thumbsup:

I'm with you on the AR coating being reflective and the proprietary strap system. :thumbsdown:

I've always been on the fence on this model because of the colors. I think I'd be more open to it if the minute had was white too, but I'd have to reserve final judgement until I see one in person. Thanks for sharing this one with us. :rocker:
  3. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Thanks, Roger. I went back and forth between this color scheme and the white dial version. I finally decided the black/yellow version was the more sporty/tool version of the two and that's what I was looking for. Still, every time I see the white one....
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great review, Chris! :thumbsup:

On a "deep diver" like that, I'd expected crown guards, too. :loupe:
  5. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I think you misunderstood my "white" comment Chris. I was just referring to a white minute hand, not the bezel insert as well. I actually prefer the yellow bezel insert over the white one. I was just wondering what this watch would look like without the yellow minute hand. :thinking: And there I have it, a task for the Virtual Watchmaker!
  6. horologyfan

horologyfan

Bronze Member
    thanks roger for the insightful review:thumbsup:
  7. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Very good review Chris. I like the color scheme you've chosen. That would be the one for me if I had to select.

That is a big watch to wear for running. My wrists are similar size and don't wear one near as big when running.

You've got a beautiful watch. :drooling:

John
  8. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    One of the better, more rugged "real" diver/sport watches I have seen! Excellent review.
    Yes, it is big, but I find that suitable for a watch like that. The yellow looks great, and definitely designates it as a sports watch in my book. No grey area there!
    I have seen this watch on the bracelet as well. Normally I am a bracelet guy, but in this case I would have to say it looks better on the rubber strap. Not just saying that to placate you, either! The rubber strap is the way to do on this one. I don't much care for that proprietary strap/bracelet thing, but I think that if it was my watch I would want to keep it on that great looking rubber strap anyway. Such a beautiful watch, I would be happy with the rubber, and let it go at that. And it seems like you are very happy with it.
    For someone who really is active running, swimming, diving etc. this is your perfect robust watch. The design is great, and I really like the markers. And the lume....stunning!
    Wear it in great health.
    Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  9. shandy

shandy

Bronze Member
    I think that you have a beautiful watch, the colour scheme is appropriate for the watches intended purpose and I think it is one of the classiest Divers out there and as I said in another thread, it is not a "samey" divers watch, it has individual character!
  10. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
  11. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Great review. Maybe one of these days I will own an IWC. I love the watch you have, and I love the color scheme as well. Like you, I would be a bit concerned about the strap options. It would be a tough choice for me, but like you, would most like select the rubber strap. Thanks for the review.
  12. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Recently, I had a chance to buy a mint steel bracelet for half price which means it was still $800! After giving it some thought I passed on it. If I had the white-faced one, I think the bracelet would look good on it.
  13. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    I think you made a wise choice. $800 is still a lot, although I am sure the bracelet is wonderful. Still, I don't know why, but from the pics I see, it just does not work as well on that watch. I think the black rubber might still look better on the white-faced one as well, just more contrast.

Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  14. theruggedman1983

theruggedman1983

TKF Newbie
    it looks cool with rubber strap! good choice!