IWC Portuguese Chronograph

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Six String, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    I'd posted this on another forum. Thought I put it in here, too.

This is a grail I wanted for a long time and finally made the the plunge last year, the IWC Portuguese Chronograph (Reference 371417). This model has the stainless steel case, silver dial and blue hands. It also comes with the blue "croc" strap and stainless buckle.

[​IMG]

The watch measures just under 41mm which is surprising because it appears huge on the wrist, much bigger than the stated size. Side by side with a 44mm Sinn U1 or a Debaufre B-Uhr., it appears equal in size. I attribute that to the fact that the watch is all dial with a negligible bezel surrounding it.

[​IMG]

The movement is the venerable Valjouz 7750 which was modified to IWC specs. Now I know what people are referring to when they mention the 7750 "wobble". The movement is hacking with two subdials, a small seconds and a minutes counter. The minutes counter only goes to "30" so its not much of a useful timer. In typical fashion, the top plunger starts and stops the large seconds counter and the bottom plunger resets to zero. There is no date function, I dont really miss having a date display. Some of my watches have date complications, others don't and I don't really care that much one way or the other. The power reserve is 44 hours.

You can see from the catalog picture, that I had my choice of metals and dial colors. My budget only permitted me to consider the steel case versions. I was torn between the white dial/gold markers version and the silver dial/blue markers model. I ultimately decided that the silver and blue combination was more legible and went with that color scheme.

[​IMG]

The watch is only 12.3mm thick which I like. It easily fits under a sleeve and is light enough I hardly notice I'm wearing it.

[​IMG]

The back is solid.

[​IMG]

The glass is, of course, sapphire, convex with AR on both sides.

[​IMG]

I've not closely checked the accuracy but it's excellent. Occasionally, I'll set it back a minute so it's keeping satisfactory time.

All in all, it's a wonderful watch, very distinctive, very attractive and a bit of an icon. I'm very pleased with it and intend to keep it. But, I've said that before.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading. Chris[/QUOTE]
  2. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    It is truly a beautiful watch. Enjoy it in good health.
  3. Marrk

Marrk

Silver Member
    That's a cutie-pie. :thumbsup:

What's the 7750 wobble?
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Excellent review, Chris! :goodpost:

The IWC Portuguese chrono is such a stunning watch! Wear that beaut in the best of healths! :thumbsup: :cheers:
  5. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    That is a beautiful watch, looks very stylish and suits your wrist perfectly. :thumbsup:
  6. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    That's a drop-dead gorgeous IWC! :worship: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the excellent review! :thankyou:
  7. toxicavenger

toxicavenger

Bronze Member
    The 7750 only winds in one direction, when it spins in the non winding direction it freewheels and spins faster and that causes the wobble.
  8. 4um3r

4um3r

Premium Member
    That's a real beauty Chris. Congrats.
  9. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    When I move my wrist just right, it feels like the watch is trying to wriggle on my wrist, like some critter is trapped inside. A slight exaggeration but a little disconcerting the first time or two.

And thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

Chris
  10. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Very elegant, love the blue hands:worship:
  11. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I'm a sucker for the white dials with blue hands! :rocker: That one is stunning :worship:
  12. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    You've got yourself a beauty there for sure. Very good review and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree, the watch does look bigger than the 41mm and credit that to the full dial and small bezel area.

John