IWC VC Aquatimer 4 Week Reveiw

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by leopardprey, Oct 16, 2008.

1. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    I bought the IWC Aquatimer, from the Vintage Collection, about 4 weeks ago and it has not left my wrist except for 3 days where I put the Glashutte Navigator back on the wrist.

After having owned many many watches over the years, I have to say with the IWC AT VC, I finally found my ideal Dive watch. Love everything about the actual watch itself. Lum is outstanding. Curved crystal and case fits great on the wrist. Very legible dial. Inner uni-directional bezel works great and like the dual crowns. Good 44mm Size. Very true to the original 1967 design (the year I was born, so another reason I like it). I have been swimming laps and using the Epiliptical Trainers everyday with it, as well as traveling around Thailand with it. Even survived the tear gas and bombs in the recent clashes in Thailand I was involved in, when my hotel was gassed last week :rofl: :rofl: .

I also own the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. While the FF is a incredible dive watch and I really like it, if I had to choose between the two, the IWC would win. Plus the IWC cost almost half of what the FF does. Same goes for the IWC over the Panerais. Matter of fact if I was forced to sell all of the watches I own and keep only one, the IWC Vintage Collection Aquatimer would be the one I would keep.

Now, what I also like about the IWC VC Aquatimer, is the movement. Regular Aquatimers have ETA movement (which are proven work horses and good movements), but for the Vintage AT, the IWC Inhouse Caliber 80111 movement, same as used in the Ingenieurs is used. This movement has the superb engineered pellaton winding system and also integrated shock absorption system. I like the display back as allows me to see the movement. I have not been diving with it yet, just hard core lap swimming, but there was a good post on the IWC.com forums of a member who has been using his WIC AT VC for soem extensive diving in INdonesia (lots of good photos in the post as well).

The only thing I did not like about the watch was the rubber strap it came with. As for me it was too short on the buckle side. So I replaced the the strap with a Hirsch strap that fits me much better, and actually since is a Rally style strap with big holes on each side, breathes better and is more cool in the humid environment I am in now, and also dries really quick due to less surface area after pool workouts.

Cheers. :cheers:
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Awesome review, Chad! :goodpost:

Could you post a lume,- and wristshot when you get the time? :worship: :thumbsup:

Also, did you monitor the timekeeping of the AT?
  3. topcat30093

topcat30093

Bronze Member
    Nice review Chad.
    Will look forward to the photos. :thumbsup:
  4. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Hey Chad,

I looked at the Aquatimer when I bought my SD, but having to unscrew the crown to rotate the bezel kept me from going with it. I really liked the styling but I was afraid I'd have already jumped off the boat on a dive and been bobbing on the surface when I realized I had not set the bezel yet. Do you know if when the bezel crown is unscrewed if water / waves splashing on it would allow water to enter the watch or would the o-rings keep it out? None of the sales people could tell me and I didn't know anyone with one to ask.

Thanks,

Roger
  5. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Very good Chad! :thumbsup: :cheers:
  6. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Nice review of a very nice watch!

I really like the IWCs a lot. :thumbsup:
  7. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Baco Noir, Actually the bottom crown used to rotate the inner bezel does not screw down at all. So you can turn at any time above the water or under the water. The crown turn clockwise, which rotates the inner bezel counter clockwise. It is a unique design, in that the deeper you go, the inner seals tighten up more. Now as you go deeper the seal is also suppose to lock in the crown so does not move, but I have not been that deep to test out. To me I like the deisgn better, as with the inner bezel, there is a larger crystal. I also find thatless chance of the bezel moving, because hard to hit the bottom crown and move. Bezel is uni-directional. :thumbsup:
  8. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Wow, I think I'll have to take one out of the case next time and play with it in the store. Can't believe the sales person was so clueless that I talked to. Either really new our just didn't know her product.
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Yeah it is a shame indeed. Over a year ago I was at an AD and had a look at that feature too, it is pretty cool. Do not expect too much out of those sales reps though, espectially for people like us who learn so much on this forum it would be useless. Herd some funny stories about the wrong information they have given on watches.
  10. Toph

Toph

Silver Member
    :cheers: Chad, nice review
  11. karmatp

karmatp

Bronze Member
    Great read Chad. I am actually asking Santa for a Aquatimer, but I want the 3548. I think it is the perfect watch, and I love wearing something other than a bracelet all the time. This is where other brands really beat out Rolex IMHO, options. It is nice to have the option to wear a rubber strap and a bracelet, and IWC makes the change so easy, they rock. Congrats and stay safe.
  12. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Tried it out a while ago and found the watch stunning in person, too! Very well-made watch! Love the big dial! :thumbsup: :drooling:
  13. horologyfan

horologyfan

Bronze Member
    yep. i was told that the omega's chrono pushers are screw down by a sales rep