Living With The Sub Date- Five Months Later

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Cmaster03, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Well, it has been almost five months to the day that I purchased my M serial 16610 Sub Date.

I've worn it just about every day, with only an occasional break when I wore my Seamaster Pro or carried an old pocket watch like my Hamilton 992B.

This has been my experience in brief...

OLD STYLE OYSTER BRACELET

The old style oyster bracelet has proven to be comfortable, though the overall "lightness" of the watch took some getting used to after wearing the heavier Omega Seamaster for five years. I had a full link removed from the bracelet, and loosened the clasp adjustment one position for comfort in the summer time humidity and heat. This has proven to be the perfect fit for me and my "just over" seven inch wrists.

The fliplock was a little loose when new, and my dealer tightened it a bit with a multi-tool. Next time I think I will just use Bo's trick and tighten it myself with finger pressure. I noticed it had flipped open yesterday for the first time since being tightened- something I think I did when putting a windbreaker jacket on and off going outside. The fliplock still feels tight though and I think that was a fluke. For the most part, I like the Oyster bracelet. I like its simplicity and ease of adjustment and comfort.

It comes in for a lot of criticism as being too flimsy and in need of a better clasp. I'd have to agree to a certain extent, but I'm not convinced that the new Oyster bracelet is necessarily the answer. The new bracelet does seem overly complicated with a lot of parts, and I wonder if it might prove more prone to parts failure compared to the simpler old style Oyster bracelet. I guess time will tell...

OYSTER CASE

The old style Oyster case sits up a bit high on the wrist and this may be a real advantage to the new super case Oysters. In practical terms though, the old style case hasn't been a burden to live with. As with the weight, I got used to it pretty quickly and the fifty year old design has certainly stood the test of time.

LUME and the CYCLOPS

The Lume on the face is mediocre, as we have come to expect from these watches. It's not really a big deal to me, perhaps because I was just never too concerned with the Lume issue.

I was very leery of the cyclops having never liked its look in pics but decided to give it a chance as I like a date feature and the Sub just seemed to smile at me more than the Sea-Dweller. I'm glad I did because I have grown to actually rather like the cyclops. It works in its intended purpose of making the date easier to read, and it is a signature Rolex feature from the past.

ACCURACY

Like many new WIS owners, I obsessively checked the accuracy of the Sub every day against the atomic clock for variations for the first few weeks when I purchased it. It averaged two seconds slow a day for the first couple months. After a few months, this variation had dropped to about a second and a half a day. Now, after five months it seems to have settled in to a loss of half a second a day or so. My last ten day check showed an average of .6 seconds slow per day for that period.

I would prefer the watch ran a bit fast rather than slow, but with a loss rate of around half a second a day I really don't feel much room to complain. I will probably just leave that alone and not bother with trying to have it adjusted any if it stays at that rate.

WHAT I LIKE/PROS

The Sub is a very comfortable watch to wear. By modern "Big Watch" standards, it is rather small at 40 mm and also rather light. Although "small" and light, this is after all the size established by Rolex and other companies as the standard sports watch size fifty years ago and it still makes a lot of sense for somebody wearing the watch for everything. It works well with both dress shirts or T-shirts, Tuxedos or cut-off shorts and a tank top. The size and weight makes it a very versatile watch that goes everywhere and adapts to nearly anything you are doing or wearing quite well. I think this probably applies to all of the classic Rolex sports models, and accounts for part of their popularity.

The Sub has been called the iconic Sports model Rolex by more than one aficionado and for good reason. A nearly perfect blend of size, looks, and durability- the Sub really is a classic. The history of the model is undisputed and pretty much in a class by itself, only challenged by such other icons as the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch.

This cool history makes me smile nearly every time I look at it on the wrist. The James Bond connection is neat, but its use in the Real world as opposed the Reel world is what really hooked me.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE/CONS

The Oyster case doesn't lie as flat on the wrist as my old Omega or the newer Super cases from Rolex. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a fact of life. It doesn't really bug me though, and is one of the prices of wearing a fifty plus year old design. Once I got the bracelet adjusted properly, the watch was very comfortable to wear and that's what really counts.

There seems to be more play in the hands in my watch when trying to set the time than on either my Omega or even a cheap Benrus mechanical I have. I don't know if this is just part of living with the caliber 3135 or if my watch is more problematical than average. Again, not a deal breaker but something I have noticed.

With the recent price increase, the Sub Date now retails for $6000 US. That's a lot of money for a watch with all the old style features, but I guess as long as people pay it Rolex will charge it. The watch is expensive, and probably too expensive compared to comparable competing designs. But, they seem to hold their value fairly well and it could be argued that nearly all Rolexes are "overpriced" with the possible theoretical exception of the Daytona, which is still very hard to find and REALLY hard to find at retail in a timely fashion.

I don't see TOO many Sub Dates in my area, but whenever I travel I see them and other Subs galore. The watch is very common as far as "high end" watches go and if you want something exclusive that you won't ever see on anybody's wrist, this is obviously not the watch for you! I don't mind it too much, it's just a fact of life. If I lived in a large metropolitan area this might bother me more than it does now.

BOTTOM LINE

I've worn the watch nearly every day for five months and it has been a pleasure. From snorkeling and snuba diving in Hawaii to just general wear at work and knocking around, the Sub Date has lived up to its reputation for a go anywhere, do anything watch.

The manufacture 3135 caliber is well respected in the WIS and watchmaker community for its accuracy and rugged durability. Rolex service is generally excellent and a real selling point for the watches, in my opinion. The quality of the watch overall- considering it is a mass production item and Rolex sells something like 900,000 watches a year- is high. It's not a Patek but it isn't supposed to be.

It's a Rolex and I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Stunning review Clyde, thank you very much for putting it together and sharing it with us. :goodpost:
  3. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    :goodpost: Excellent post. Glad to hear you are enjoying your watch. What to do when the new sub comes out?
  4. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Clyde,

Great review. Thanks for the information. The Sub is a classic!!

John
  5. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Thanks, guys.

As for what to do when the new Sub comes out...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! :thumbsup:

In all seriousness I will probably just keep my "old" Sub. One of the things I like about it is it's almost like owning a new old stock vintage Sub, with a sapphire crystal, thanks to all of its old features. I'm a vintage kind of guy anyway. This watch is kind of the best of both worlds for me: old style, but brand new and plenty of spare parts and no service hassle.
  6. Robb

Robb

Premium Member
    Excellent review!!!!!! :cheers:
  7. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    GREAT review, Clyde! :thumbsup:

Gotta love the SS Sub Date!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it! :rocker:
  8. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    That is awesome Clyde, thanks :cheers:
  9. haakon59

haakon59

Bronze Member
    Thank you for telling us about your personal likes and dislikes about the Submariner. It is always interesting to read specific comments about these models. Thanks again.
  10. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Awesome review, Clyde! :worship: :worship: :worship: There's something very special about the Sub Date, no doubt about it! :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
  11. John Eaton

John Eaton

Bronze Member
    Good post Cmaster03 :goodpost:

[​IMG]

I appreciate the accuracy of this model's caliber :rofl:
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Beautiful LV, John! :thumbsup:
  13. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Wow, that LV looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good :cheers:
  14. John Eaton

John Eaton

Bronze Member
    [​IMG]

Thanks Colemanitis, this photo does more justice to the LV though :thumbsup:

As for accuracy, the 3135 seems more accurate the more I wear it, deviation is betwen 1 and 2 seconds per day too fast, so it's an easy adjust, just pull the hack for a few seconds once a week :thumbsup:
  15. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Very cool and yeah I prefer my watches to be a few seconds fast vs slow.
  16. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Very nice! :worship: :worship: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  17. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    John, you have to keep those pictures coming. Would love to see more :drool:
  18. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Great pictures of the LV!!

John
  19. Elmo

Elmo

Bronze Member
    Thank you. It helps me with my decision.
  20. loszabo

loszabo

Bronze Member
    Very good review, thanks for posting.